Illustration Rares of Kanto Starters to Release in “Special Deck Set ex Venusaur & Charizard & Blastoise!”

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The product packaging for the upcoming “Special Deck Set ex Venusaur & Charizard & Blastoise” has quietly revealed it will come with Illustration Rares of Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle! They are barely visible on the top of the box.

Special-Deck-Set-ex-Vensusaur-Charizard-Blastoise-200x183.jpg

Bulbasaur-Charmander-Squirtle-Illustration-Rares-1-200x91.jpg

Needs more pixels!

The Illustration Rare for Charmander released in July as the promo for the Obsidian Flames Elite Trainer Box. It hasn’t released in Japan yet, so this will be how they get it...

Continue reading...

Seems interesting that the Charmander is based off of Obsidian Flames/Ruler of the Black Flame, instead of 151 like Bulbasaur & Squirtle. That is unless these are never before seen Bulbasaur & Squirtle cards (unlikely).

Imagine a different timeline where Obsidian Flames/Ruler wasn’t a needlessly Charizard-focused set and *these* promos were used for 3 different versions of the 151 ETB.

I wonder if they are all done by the same artist, would make a cool mini collection. Hope we get these in English to match the Charmander already released. Excited to see the Squirtle.

This alone will ensure scalpers eat this up. Usually they wouldn't bother this this kind of product.
I agree, that's a shame. I thought this would be another decently priced set with precon decks like the Battle Academy product. Will still keep an eye on it, but I do now wonder how this will affect the price.

Seems interesting that the Charmander is based off of Obsidian Flames/Ruler of the Black Flame, instead of 151 like Bulbasaur & Squirtle. That is unless these are never before seen Bulbasaur & Squirtle cards (unlikely).

It looks like they are. They're not the same as the 151 ARs at least. Agree with the person who said they might be done by the same artist, as the Charmander in the ETB wasn't from Ruler of the Black Flames or any other released set from what I remember.

It looks like they are. They're not the same as the 151 ARs at least. Agree with the person who said they might be done by the same artist, as the Charmander in the ETB wasn't from Ruler of the Black Flames or any other released set from what I remember.
Yes they are clearly new artworks with what appears to be a window/plant house type of place and a kids pool for Squirtle :)

Back