In what country do you learn what language?

Veritas

The invisible user
I was just wondering, a friend from America who moved here to Australia learned Spanish. She wasn't fluent, but she knew several phrases. At the school where I go to, we are offered to learn Japanese, Chinese, German and French.
It occurred to me, would places in different parts of the world have a more emphasis on certain languages. E.g, Canada might have more people learning French. Most countries know some basic english. What languages have you been taught by school or otherwise and where do you come from?

In the Netherlands we learn; Dutch (ofcourse), English, French, German, Latin, Greek and Spanish (Spanish only if you would like to... sadly i didn't choose cuz i chose Latin and Greek already)

Veritas, I want to learn Chinese and Japanese too :( 日本は驚くばかりである!

In my country, Singapore, the government tries to promote a fully bilingual society, where we're not just learning some Spanish or French or whatever words here and there, but a people able to treat both languages as a native language.

Since there are three major races here, Chinese, Malay and Indian, the children here take English as a first language and whatever language suits their race (Mandarin Chinese, Bahasa Melayu and Tamil, an Indian dialect) respectively.

Some guys here take a third language if they are excellent in all other subjects.

I think I would die living in Singapore...

I had to take 2 years of Spanish and hated every bit of it. I guess I'm just a language person. lol

In my school they teach french, spanish, irish language and german. Although this Polish girl in my class was able to get a special teacher to teach her Polish becuase she moved here when she was young and she wants to keep up with her roots.

Btw Veritas I wish I was at your school, I'd love to learn japenese!

^I think different States in the US offer different languages too. At my school, in Wisconsin, I get Spanish, French, German, Chinese, and Italian, but in North Carolina (where I used to live), they didn't get German, or Italian for language selections.

The Power of Three said:
^I think different States in the US offer different languages too. At my school, in Wisconsin, I get Spanish, French, German, Chinese, and Italian, but in North Carolina (where I used to live), they didn't get German, or Italian for language selections.

Chinese? :O why is everybody given the possibility to learn chinese or japanese? :O i want that too so badly :(

In Bangladesh, you obviously learn Bangla.

Then in the schools you get English, and perhaps Arabic for reading the Koran.

They teach Spanish, French, and Chinese at my school. As well as ESL, However, with budget cuts, we're lucky to even have Spanish next year.

dmaster out.

Since I live in the U.S, the first language that is usually taught first is English, though Spainish if the first language of a large minority.

In my school, you are then allowed to be taught French or Spainish. If you already know Spainish but don't know English, you would obviously learn English.

In my school, we are required to take 90 hours of Spanish, German, and French in our middle school carreer.

Wow, I can't believe places aren't offered japanese or chinese. Everyone in my school takes german or french and there about 3 german classes, 3 french class and 1 chinese class and 1 japanese class. I feel really bad because hardly anyone at my school wants to learn japanese or chinese and people around the world wants to learn japanese without opportunity to. In Australia, there's like a lot of Chinese people around (no I'm not trying to be racist.) because they have work here. I think the main reason we learn chinese is that it can help you later in life if you need to become a businessman going to China

I'm Chinese myself, though I learned english as my primary language. My cantonese is rusty but I can get by while I'm just learning Japanese (I've learned hiragana and learning katakana. TOO MUCH KANJI). Here, our year is split into 4 terms. In year 7 you have to take each language in 1 term. In year 8 you have to choose a language that you take for the year and in year 9 you can choose it as an elective for years 9 and 10.

You know, if you live in USA maybe you could say what state your in. It seems that most countries learn spanish and french.

Veritas said:
Wow, I can't believe places aren't offered japanese or chinese. Everyone in my school takes german or french and there about 3 german classes, 3 french class and 1 chinese class and 1 japanese class. I feel really bad because hardly anyone at my school wants to learn japanese or chinese and people around the world wants to learn japanese without opportunity to. In Australia, there's like a lot of Chinese people around (no I'm not trying to be racist.) because they have work here. I think the main reason we learn chinese is that it can help you later in life if you need to become a businessman going to China

I'm Chinese myself, though I learned english as my primary language. My cantonese is rusty but I can get by while I'm just learning Japanese (I've learned hiragana and learning katakana. TOO MUCH KANJI). Here, our year is split into 4 terms. In year 7 you have to take each language in 1 term. In year 8 you have to choose a language that you take for the year and in year 9 you can choose it as an elective for years 9 and 10.

You know, if you live in USA maybe you could say what state your in. It seems that most countries learn spanish and french.

Ya, I've been wishing for Japanese and Chinese, but our principal doesn't want it.

You really are quite lucky for having the opportunity to learn Japanese in school! I live in Pennsylvania, United States, and my school offers Spanish and French as foreign language studies. German was previously taught, but this current year it was replaced with French. Learning a foreign language is completely optional, but I chose to take Spanish my freshmen and sophomore years.

Juliacoolo said:
In my school, we are required to take 90 hours of Spanish, German, and French in our middle school carreer.

They have that many different choices of foreign in middle school? And that many hours? What state do you live in?

Back