Iron Hands ex, Skeledirge ex, Iron Jugulus, Slither Wing, Yveltal, and More from “Paradox Rift!”

I don't care about it's competitiveness in the format that doesn't even try to be balanced. I am painfully aware of the difference in perception here - I'm looking at it from the design standpoint, you're looking at it as a player, which is the principal motor that allows powercreep to exist. You are unable to view it in the context of the game as a whole, but only this little slice of metagame we're in now.

I found one card that has an unconditional KO attack, and that's Yveltal with a very obviously prohibitive Energy cost.

If you disregard a game effect, in relation to its game implications, what are you even on about then? You're against it "in principle"? Like, attacks should do damage but never KO? You're like a PTCG fundamentalist or something?

You're still missing the point mentioning Yveltal. "technically right is the best kind of being right" is only true as a tongue in cheek statement. Sure, you're "technically" right here, but in a game, context, gradation, nuance, all these things matter. And if you take these in consideration, then you're wrong, any sensible person who knows enough about the game will agree that having the hoop you have to jump through before the KO (such as the target having to be affected by a special condition for instance), or after (causing self-damage that pretty much kill you as well) is just a different flavor of the same thing really.

If you disregard a game effect, in relation to its game implications, what are you even on about then?
You only see "game implications" in relation to the metagame. But game pieces do not exist in a vacuum, they exist in a game that has rules.
For example, if you show me a format where players are able to see 30 cards out of their 60-card decks on Turn 1, and are able to basically access every major piece by Turn 3, I don't need to know which decks are viable. It simply goes against what the decks were designed to do, which is to provide variance and reward deckbuilding.
You're like a PTCG fundamentalist or something?
I'm a game designer.
is just a different flavor of the same thing really.
This is such a basic thing to be wrong about, I wonder if you knew it when you've posted it, or you know less about the game than you profess.
No, having to flip coins or fulfill some specific condition (usually random or one-time one) is not the same as getting some self-damage after a free KO.

Back