Is It Viable To Play Competitively Without Playing Expanded?

sonicjms

Bench, Call, Ride, Summon, Cast
I've been waiting to get back into pokemon since Mewtwo EX killed the game for me. I eventually decided to get back in come the XY-on format. So it's come around and Expanded is now a thing, as if TPC is spitting in my face. Is it viable to get back into competitive without going to any regionals?

Well, I think the first thing that you need to know is that Mewtwo is not good anymore. It isn't ruining the game and in fact is an overly uncommon addition to decks at the moment. In response to you're actual question, while I'm not top notch on the competitive scheme, if my knowledge serves me correct you are not required to gain points at Regionals. However, not going to Regionals requires you to do particularly well at other events. That in mind, I've got this other feeling telling me you have to at least participate in Regionals to get to Nationals...

I'm in the same boat. I despise Expanded. I'm still going to compete though; I'll just be using my Standard deck(s) in both Expanded and Standard tournies. It puts me at an obvious disadvantage at times, but winning is more satisfying at least. :p

I'm hoping this is just a one-year thing. So far only NA is using Expanded for official tournaments, so hopefully that's a sign that this isn't really a wanted thing.

To answer your question, by not going to Regionals, you of course miss out on potential points (and the fun of the events in general), but there's certainly no requirement to go to them if you have a good local or state scene and you're able to place highly there consistently.

Well, I think the first thing that you need to know is that Mewtwo is not good anymore. It isn't ruining the game and in fact is an overly uncommon addition to decks at the moment. In response to you're actual question, while I'm not top notch on the competitive scheme, if my knowledge serves me correct you are not required to gain points at Regionals. However, not going to Regionals requires you to do particularly well at other events. That in mind, I've got this other feeling telling me you have to at least participate in Regionals to get to Nationals...
I know mewtwo isn't a problem anymore (one of the main reasons it ruined the game for me was the 70$ price tag) its more the fact that expanded seems to be a really unfun format to play with all the lock decks going around, and cards like hypnotoxic laser. Is Nationals invite only now? As far as I knew Nationals was a show up and play event.

I know mewtwo isn't a problem anymore (one of the main reasons it ruined the game for me was the 70$ price tag) its more the fact that expanded seems to be a really unfun format to play with all the lock decks going around, and cards like hypnotoxic laser. Is Nationals invite only now? As far as I knew Nationals was a show up and play event.

If I remember right, you have to have at least 10 Championship points in order to participate in nationals. As for expanded, I'm kind of iffy on the matter. While I think the original idea was okay, it's spiraling out of control because of new cards coming out which are causing older cards to be broken (I'm looking at you Shiftry) which is not a good thing. If they're really wanting expanded to flourish in my opinion, they need to really focus on what they want and how they can make it a healthy format without mixing it in with the standard format.

I believe you need to get X amount of points to be able to go to Nationals, but not 100% sure on that. Unfortunately we have a $50 staple at the moment (Shaymin-EX) which is sorta necessary in both Standard and Expanded.

I believe you need to get X amount of points to be able to go to Nationals, but not 100% sure on that. Unfortunately we have a $50 staple at the moment (Shaymin-EX) which is sorta necessary in both Standard and Expanded.
Looks like US nats required 15 play points, can't find anything about Canada though, I managed to get myself 1 shaymin for about 30$ Canadian which was quite the steal.

I've been waiting to get back into pokemon since Mewtwo EX killed the game for me. I eventually decided to get back in come the XY-on format. So it's come around and Expanded is now a thing, as if TPC is spitting in my face. Is it viable to get back into competitive without going to any regionals?

With competitive play you need to really ask yourself one simple question, do you want to play at worlds? If the answer to the question is yes, then playing in the expanded meta is needed because it increases your chances at the points. If the answer is no, or maybe, then playing strictly standard is fine.

Having said all of that, Mewtwo ex is a tech card in expanded. There is no reason to get 4 mewtwo ex's anymore. Mater of fact, in allot of variant decks, if your opponent lays a mewtwo ex down in the first turn, sometimes he cringes. It is just not as dominating as a card as it once was. However, Keldeo and Yvelta still frighten everybody in expanded.

Back