Contest January 2023 CaC: New Year, New Type II (All Results Up!)

doofisconfused

aspiring doof
would it be okay to make a psychic/ghost/poison-type into a fairy-type in SM or BWXY era, since fairy-type is represented by psychic now?

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
would it be okay to make a psychic/ghost/poison-type into a fairy-type in SM or BWXY era, since fairy-type is represented by psychic now?
Yep — Psychic, Ghost, and Poison were all represented by [P] in XY and SM, so making a Pokémon of one of those types into a [Y] card in one of those eras would certainly fit the bill for this theme.

(Unless of course the Pokémon was something like Gardevoir or Mimikyu, which can conventionally have [Y] cards in those eras in addition to [P]. But I'm sure you knew that. :p)

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
I'd like to sign up for text please. I've already used a random generator for both the Pokémon and the new type said Pokémon is getting, so I am pleased to say it didn't work out in my favor.. at all.

Good luck everyone!

Thrillington

Aspiring Trainer
cac_banner_jan_2023_2.png

Welcome to the January 2023 round of the Create-a-Card!

This month’s theme is New Year, New Type, back for its second incarnation after we first used it two years ago!

Throughout the TCG’s history, there have been cases where Pokémon have been given cards with types they don’t possess in the games. Delta Species Pokémon are the most famous example, but the upcoming cards featuring the Terastal Phenomenon are likely to lend us another, and there have even been cards like Torkoal P1 and Lugia CL which have “wrong” types for apparently no reason at all.

This month, we want to see your take on a card like this. Your entry can be a Delta Species Pokémon, a Terastallized Pokémon, or any other mechanic you like — so long as you can justify why the card is the type it is, it’s up to you!

Following their temporary restriction last round to honor game spoilers, Generation IX Pokémon are allowed this month. Pick any Pokémon you like, pick a type it doesn’t normally have, and let your imagination run wild!

Registration

• To sign up, you must reply to the thread below by January 10th at 11:59 pm EST, specifying which category you wish to enter. A post like “In for text!” or “In for image!” is sufficient. You may enter both categories if you wish.
    --
  • You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.)
    --
  • We have a total of 15 spaces available for text-based entries and 15 for image-based. If you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach has many card blanks and guides available for use, and we have a vibrant Discord community willing to help with any questions you might have.

Judging

--------
Text-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based cards is the creativity of Pokémon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
    Total: 20 points
    ---
  2. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any custom card. As official wording has changed many times over the years, try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.

Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:

Pokémon – Type – HP50
    Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokémon

NO. 000 [Name] Pokémon HT: 1’11” WT: 111.1 lbs.

Ability: Name
    Ability Effect

[R][C] Attack 20
    Attack Effect

Weakness: Fire (x2)
    Resistance: Psychic (-20)
    Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
    Flavor Text

Total: 15 points
    ---
  3. Believability/Playability
    Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper Weakness and Resistance, Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will also be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Max Points: 50

--------
Image-Based
--------
  1. Creativity/Originality
    This is a given. With the proper photo editing tools, let your imagination run wild! Among other things, this can involve innovating new mechanics, envisioning new card interactions, and exploring exciting gameplay potential or other design space.
    ---
  2. Believability/Playability
    Believability and playability are both integral to a custom card’s realism. A card’s playability is its power level — try not to be overpowered or underpowered for the era you’re designing in! For believability, proper Weakness and Resistance, Pokédex information, ballpark HP, and so on will be taken into consideration.
    ---
  3. Wording
    Proper wording is key in designing any custom card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose, as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
    Total: 10 points
    ---
  4. Fonts and Placement
    Correct fonts (which may change era by era) are imperative when creating realistic custom cards — even for custom blanks, fonts in line with the convention can go a long way toward making them appear realistic. Placement of text / symbols / etc. is also taken into consideration.
    Total: 5 points
    ---
  5. Aesthetics
    Aesthetics is all about how your card looks as a complete whole. Aspects of this category include using creative and appropriate artwork, using neat or custom blanks, and overall having an appealing card creation. Additionally, you may not use existing artwork from the TCG for your cards. If you’d like to use Ken Sugimori stock artwork, you may do so, but it must be transformative in nature.
    Total: 5 points
Max Points: 50

And that’s the point breakdown for this round’s Create-a-Card! @Jabberwock will be judging image-based, and @PMJ will be judging text-based.

General Rules

• The card you submit must be of a Pokémon — that is, not a Trainer, Energy, or other type of card. Occasionally, we open this up to other types of cards if the month’s theme warrants it, but otherwise it’s impossible to judge Pokémon cards against Trainer cards, since their uses in-game are so different.
    --
  • For those entering image-based, you must include the symbol here on your card (such as the set symbol) or your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by Nekoban Ryo, who continually creates resources for the custom card world and is a prominent faker himself. In addition, we do not allow any image-based entries that have been made using automatic, online card generators.
    --
  • If you edit your post, you’ll incur a deduction of 2 points from your overall score. Posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done! If you mess up the tags or have a similar coding disaster, tag or PM me to get it fixed. If you forget to credit someone, do so in a new post instead of editing.
    --
  • Participants who sign up but fail to submit a card by the deadline, if the category is full, will automatically lose 2 points for the next round (similar to losing 2 points for the current round for editing). If the category you have signed up for is full and if you wish to drop out, you must do so with three days remaining before the deadline to avoid the penalty. Continuing to fail to post a submission in future rounds will result in a possible ban from the contest for a couple of months. Please keep a close eye on the deadline.
    --
  • The judges do not give feedback on entries before they are posted. However, you’re encouraged to seek out help from other members of the community! The forums are an acceptable place for this, but you may be able to get faster feedback in the Custom Card Community Discord server here.
    --
  • Artists/illustrators are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
    --
  • All entries should meet the forum rules. You should always credit the artist, and never use someone else’s art without their permission — that’s art theft.
    --
  • Winning entries may be posted to the Custom Card Community’s social media accounts, with context and credit to the card creator(s). [Facebook][Twitter][Instagram][Tumblr]

Deadline: January 31st (Tue.) 11:59 pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]​

Anticipated Entrants

Image-Based:
  1. @PMJ
  2. @doofisconfused
  3. @Charmaster:)
  4. @Kaleidophoenix
  5. @aiurjordan
  6. This could be you!

Text-Based:
  1. @Falling Skies
  2. @doofisconfused
  3. @Charmaster:)
  4. @Kaleidophoenix
  5. @Vom
  6. @Cradilyfan1512
  7. @Hylaster
  8. @TheFlyingPidove
  9. This could be you!

Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.

Want to help advertise the contest? Just paste the code below for the banner in your sig!
Code:
[url=http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/pok%C3%A9beach-create-a-card-january-2018-grass-types-sign-ups.145732/][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/726804916240121878/1059738610842206218/cac_banner_jan_2023_2.png[/img][/url]

Credit goes to @Nekoban Ryo, @Xous, and @Jabberwock for the banner.
FAQ from the last time we ran this theme, potentially to be expanded if we receive more questions this month:

The intent of this theme is that you choose a Pokémon and assign it a type it cannot have under normal TCG typing rules. As an example, take Yanmega. [G] and [C] are both off-limits, because Yanmega is Bug-type (which defaults to [G]) and Flying-type (which defaults to [C]). Any other type would be fair game, but some might get you more Creativity and/or Believability points than others.

Delta Species and (presumably) the upcoming Tera Pokémon are good examples of Creatures doing this themselves, but you don't have to restrict yourself to these mechanics if you can justify a new type another way. As usual, let your imagination run wild!
  • Can I submit a Fakemon / custom form of an existing Pokémon? How about a custom type? Good questions. Usually we allow both, but since the intent of this round is to get you to reimagine an existing Pokémon as a different existing type, we're going to ask that you save Fakemon and custom types for a future round.
  • Can I submit a Pokémon using a type it's technically had in the TCG if that type doesn't follow "normal TCG typing rules"? For example, a [G]-type Snorlax or a [F]-type Torkoal? Yes! Just because PCL sometimes violates their own rules doesn't mean they're not rules. Under those rules, Snorlax would always be a [C] Pokémon and Torkoal a [R] Pokémon, so for the purposes of this contest you could certainly make a [G] Snorlax or a [F] Torkoal, even though PCL has already done it.
  • Can I submit (for example) a [N]-type Sceptile, even though its Mega Evolved form is Dragon-type? Yeah. Technically, Megas are the same Pokémon, but that's a big "technically," and they're far enough removed from their base forms that this is justifiable.
  • Can I submit a dual-type card where only one of the types is "new"? For example, a [M]/[L]-type Aggron? This is fine. Metagross DS had this type combination, but counted as a Delta Species Pokémon. As long as it has at least one "new" type, you're good.
  • Can I submit a card whose type is new for the provided era, but would be normal in a different era? For example, a [G]-type HGSS-era Seviper? Sure, provided it's the wrong type for the era you submit it in. Remember that in text-based, the era is assumed to be modern (SwSh) unless stated otherwise.
I’d like to submit an entry for Image based

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Sorry for the late post, can I still enter for Image? 😇
You're good! Hadn't officially closed sign-ups yet ...

... and with that, sign-ups are closed! Keep an eye on that deadline, and we look forward to seeing what you all come up with this month!

Hylaster

Aspiring Trainer
I'm assuming we post in here?

Porygon-Z - Lightning [L] - HP130
Stage 2 - Evolves from Porygon2

NO. 474 Virtual Pokémon HT: 2'11" WT: 75.0 lbs.

[Ability] Hyperdrive Virus
If this Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from an attack from your opponent's Pokémon, ignore all Energy in the attack costs of [L] Pokémon during your next turn. (This includes Pokémon that come into play on that turn.)

[L] Data Roundup 50
If Porygon is on your bench, this attack deals 20 more damage. If Porygon2 is on your bench, this attack deals 40 more damage.

[L][L][L][L] Long Short Circuit 150
This attack also does 150 damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon (don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon). During your next turn, your Pokémon can't use Long Short Circuit. (This includes Pokémon that come into play on that turn.)

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]

The Porygon line is based on data and has even been called the "Electric Soldier", so I've made a Lightning-Type Porygon-Z.

Hyperdrive Virus
When Porygon-Z is Knocked Out, its erratic data goes haywire, supercharging your Lightning Pokémon. The text here has been sourced from Solar Power Sunflora and Final Dig Dunsparce. Notably, Sunflora does not say "the attack costs of your ... Pokémon", so I've kept it the same. I don't think there are currently any attacks in the game which deal damage based on the attack costs of the opponent, but it's worth noting either way.

Data Roundup
With text inspired from Link Fusion Reuniclus, Porygon-Z powers up its attack by having Porygon and Porygon2 on the field. If you have both, you're able to hit 110 for 1 Energy. Thanks to Weakness, this is notably enough to pick up a Knock Out on Lugia V. With Choice Belt, it can hit for 140 and Knock Out a Lugia VSTAR.
This damage-to-energy ratio is the same as Magnezone ex, which deals 220 for 2. Porygon-Z only provides 1 Prize Card, but requires having 2 specific Pokémon on the bench to keep up damage parity.

Long Short Circuit
A 150 damage bench snipe is precisely targeted to take out Archeops, much like Pikachu & Zekrom GX had a 170 damage snipe specifically to score KOs against Tapu Lele GX. Speaking of 2-Prize support Pokémon, attaching a Telescopic Sight boosts our output to 180, enough to take down Crobat V. This attack is very expensive, but Porygon-Z comes with a built-in cheat code via a 2nd copy's Hyperdrive Virus. To balance out this powerful attack which may be coming out for 0 Energy, I've gone for what I believe is currently a mechanically unique middle ground between attacks like Brave Blade (Zacian V) and Gigaton Shake (Steelix). Note that using this attack a 2nd time for free would require setting up all 4 copies of your Stage 2, so it's very likely to be a once per game attack.

One further notable interaction that I'd like to call out is that Long Short Circuit + Amazing Shot Raikou is 270 damage, which falls 10 short of KOing most meta relevant VSTAR Pokémon.

Bells & Whistles
I was initially considering 120HP & 1 Retreat, but both Crazy Code and Initialize Porygon-Z are 130HP & 2 Retreat, so I didn't see any reason to change that up. As this custom card is Lightning, it maintains its original weakness to Fighting. Resistance has been intentionally left blank.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
tY7mdQE.png

Here's the gist. Lucario train their whole lives honing their aura. When they reach the true pinnacle of their training, they are rewarded by essentially becoming one with the aura, which gives them a boost in power and is enough to turn their Steel typing into a Psychic one.

Lucario's Steel typing has always been an afterthought. Not even its Metal-type cards lean into Lucario's Steel typing (Lucario & Melmetal-GX sort of excepted). In my redesign, a Steel-type Lucario is seen as a Type: Null kind of situation. It exists, but it's incomplete and isn't fighting at its full potential. Only when a Lucario has truly achieved perfection can they ascend and unlock their true form, and their Steel-type shackles are removed.

It's not an evolution, but I would see this as sort of a one-way street in the same way evolution is.

Onto the card. First, the Ability. The name, Even Further Beyond, is a reference to a line in Dragon Ball Z, where Goku is about to reveal his new Super Saiyan 3 form. It's meant to explain to how this new Psychic form, and the boost in power that goes with it, is reserved only for Lucario that can achieve a level of strength past what is normally thought possible. On top of being a Dragon Ball Z reference, Sean Schemmel, Goku's English VA, is also the English voice of Lucario in Smash 4. Finally, it references the player's ability to bring Lucario V's damage beyond its normal amount by achieving their own level of balance.

As far as the game mechanic part of it goes, I chose to make it a copycat sort of effect for a couple reasons. First, you always see this sort of thing as an attack and never as an Ability. I think that in and of itself is enough to make it unique. Lucario V only has the one attack, but EFB could also boost attacks given to it through outside sources. It also fits the theming for why Lucario is becoming a Psychic type in the first place. It does 100 extra damage because it allows Third Alignment to hit 200 damage, which is actually not that bad if you look at something like Magearna V who can do more damage for the same cost but with a much, much simpler requirement (have a Special Energy attached). There's an asterisk attached to that, but I'll get to that later.

The name Third Alignment is a reference to Dragon Ball Z's Super Saiyan 3 (the result of going even further beyond), Lucario's Psychic typing being a third typing, being able to draw cards to possibly align your hand size with your opponent's. Now, I will say that there are no cards in Standard that allow you to draw "up to" a certain amount of cards (weird since everything else lets you do things "up to" a given number). I'm just going to claim creative license for this one. On top of that, being able to slightly tweak your hand until it hits the right mark is similar to how an ascended Lucario would tweak its aura to take down its foes most efficiently.

The base damage seems to be about standard for a Basic Pokemon V. At worst, the attack does 100 damage and draws you 2 cards. Historically, attacks that draw cards and do damage are exceedingly weak (the exception being Greedent VMAX's Max Gimme Gimme, which does 160 for CCC and draws you three). I think that Lucario V's power level is perfectly fine with the added draw bonus. Two hundred damage isn't anything to write home about anymore, and even though you can use a Choice Belt to bop Basic Pokemon V, you're still stuck two-shotting VMAXes and VSTARs no matter what you do. I don't think getting an extra couple cards in your hand is gonna break the game. The attack cost is PPC specifically to allow it to play nice with the existing Lucario VSTAR (whose attack costs are FCC and FC), even though the mere existence of a card that evolves from Lucario V kinda messes with the theme.

HP matches existing Lucario V, which was done intentionally. Bottom stats are standard for Psychic Pokemon in this era. Retreat Cost of two because it's the sweet spot, both 1 and 3 are pretty outrageous in either direction. Existing Lucario V also retreat for two, which in this and only this case is just a coincidence.

This card was heavily inspired by this artwork, which I think is the perfect way to show off an alternate type Lucario that is markedly different from existing ones without using the Delta Species crutch. My only regret is that neither this blank or the regular Pokemon V blank play very nicely with it; the bottom of the card, where you'd see Lucario levitating over the grass, is necessarily covered by the text. However, you can still get the point across that the Lucario is meditating, and we can pretend that it has reached this perfection state as a result (as seen by the color change). Sa-Dui is a god.

If it weren't for aesthetics points I wouldn't bother trying a foil at all, but I don't think it turned out all that badly. pls gib 50

References:

Even Further Beyond: Wyrdeer ASR, Eelektross LOR
Third Alignment: Whimsicott VIV Team Rocket's Evil Deeds N4

Falling Skies

The Traveler
This has been a difficult month timewise for me, so allow me to present an abridged entry.
Radiant Mew HP: 60 [C]
Basic
mew.png

Radiant Pokémon Rule: You can't have more than 1 Radiant Pokémon in your deck.
Ability: Prime DNA
This Pokémon gains the effect of any Special Energy card attached to it, even if the card says otherwise.

[C][C][C] Omnibarrier 60
If this Pokémon has 6 or more Special Energy cards with different names attached to it, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to all of your Pokémon during your opponent's next turn.

Weakness: [F] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

This mythical Pokémon is said to be extinct, but sightings of it are still being reported to this day.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
I had no idea that @PMJ is familiar with Dragon Ball Z, that's so cool!!!! But that aura looks more like Ultra Instinct than SS3.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I had no idea that @PMJ is familiar with Dragon Ball Z, that's so cool!!!! But that aura looks more like Ultra Instinct than SS3.
Yep, I been a fan for a long time.

You're right that the aura itself isn't a 1:1 copy to SSJ3 buuuuuuuuuut I'm pretty sure I'll get a pass for it since it would be kind of (read as: monstrously) dumb to see a Lucario with SSJ3 Goku hair.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Also, you guys, it would be very helpful if you post your reasonings for turning your entry into your chosen type. Selling it will help you earn those creativity points. (Just don't edit your post, for the love of all things waifu.)

Falling Skies

The Traveler
I'd thought I'd posted it in my initial post, but I'd made Mew into a normal type as it's the common ancestor of all Pokemon, and therefore probably was normal type at some point in its evolutionary history.

aiurjordan

Aspiring Trainer
My image submission
Notes: I followed suit to many of the stage 2's similar damage, costs, and HP, it was somewhat unclear if this card should have evolved from Eevee or Glaceon, so I ended up treating it like a stage 2. Some pretty interesting attacks slapped together combined with a good typing and a neat custom base from haunt in the discord.

Attachments

• contest_glaceon.png
    contest_glaceon.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 75

Cradilyfan1512

Aspiring Trainer
Slither Wing-Dragon-120 HP-Basic

NO. 988 Paradox Pokémon HT: 10’06” WT: 202.8 lbs.

Ability: Hoard Gather

Once per turn if this Pokémon is in the active spot you may draw one extra card per turn.

[G][R][W] Draconic Build-up 20x

For every damage counter on this Pokémon this attack does two times damage.

Weakness:

Resistance:

Retreat: [C][C]

This Pokémon bears lots of resemblance to Volcarona, but seems more ancient.
I feel like Slither Wing should have been a bug-dragon type this whole time. Same thing with Flygon. There were a couple others I also almost did like Bug Flygon, Dragon Iron Jugulis, and Electric Eternatus.

Now for references. The hoard gather is a reference to how a lot of dragons in mythology have a hoard of treasure. This is clearly shown by Gabite as lots of its Pokédex entries talk about its hoard of gems.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Reminder that you guys only have a couple days left to submit. I'm still the only image entry and while I'm cool with taking the back to back gold, I'd rather earn it.

Still don't even have a top 3 in text...

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
Righto, now that I finally have a properly functioning laptop again, it's time to get to work.

Noivern δ DELTA SPECIES / 80 / Water

[Stage 1] Evolves from Noibat.

[Poké-Power] Beat Droplet
Once during your turn, when you play Noivern from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may discard a [W] Energy card attached to Noivern. If you do, discard 3 cards from the top of your opponent's deck.

[W][C] Sinkronized Wave [30]
If Noivern and the Defending Pokémon have the same amount of Energy attached to them, put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: [L]
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C][C]

First things first, I turned Noivern into a Water type because of puns. So yes I do know how to spell Synchronized FYI. Other than that I don't have much to say besides the fact that I am very much out of practice. I also have never done a fake in the EX era before so there's that..
Man am I glad they didn't include the Pokémon's HT WT etc. or flavor text on the cards back then, I still remember the time I got a point reduction for forgetting those haha. Also we're not talking about the fact I had planned to do a Poison Farigiraf, I'm too out practice for that one..

Beat Droplet
- Charizard δ (EX Crystal Guardians)
- Tyranitar δ (EX Delta Species)
Can't find anything about discarding from your opponent's deck in the EX era though, was that really not a thing at all back then?

Sinkronized Wave
- Girafarig (EX Dragon)
- Glalie (EX Hidden Legends)