June's XY3 Set Announced: 'Rising Fist' + 'Mega Lucario Box' [3/24]

I have a feeling that Zygarde EX will be in this set. Or maybe just Zygarde. This is the 3rd set in the XY series, and Kyurem (the last one in the gen 5 trio) debuted in TCG in the 3rd BLW set, Noble Victories..... Just Saying.

I"m waiting for a translation for Strong Energy so I can proxy up and finalize my Fighting deck. I don't think it'll cancel resistance, since we have a new Stadium that does it, along with Machamp PLB. It'll probably be similar to Special Dark.

I'm gonna jump right on the theory bandwagon and say they're going to use the "if it shoots a ball it can use an attack simlar to X Ball" so Lucario EX is probably going to be the Mewtwo EX counterpart for Fighting-Type.

Otaku said:
Unless they were cards like Neo Genesis Sneasel which was simply overpowered to begin with, Darkness Energy damage bonus for not. Most of the rest... not so much. As for what bonus we could see on a Special Fighting Energy... please not ignoring Resistance. Unless the TCG does something that makes Resistance pertinent again, its almost certainly to be a wasted mechanic.

I'm curious, after seeing the Genesis Sneasel, I have no idea as to why it is so overpowered. Could you enlighten me?

Pre ordered some rising fist ami ami have them and seeing how fast wild blaze sold out I've jumped on them lol more expensive than wild blaze too any ideas why?

Alli said:
Otaku said:
Unless they were cards like Neo Genesis Sneasel which was simply overpowered to begin with, Darkness Energy damage bonus for not. Most of the rest... not so much. As for what bonus we could see on a Special Fighting Energy... please not ignoring Resistance. Unless the TCG does something that makes Resistance pertinent again, its almost certainly to be a wasted mechanic.

I'm curious, after seeing the Genesis Sneasel, I have no idea as to why it is so overpowered. Could you enlighten me?

Back in the Ancient Times, when Arceus just finished creating the world (lol), that card was WAY Over Powered taking into account the Max HP from most Pokémon and the Damage output. Right now, it isn't that big of a deal, though, but imagine Landorus-EX, the Unova Dragons, Terrakion and such in that Format. They would have been even more OP than poor little Sneasel.
And also, imagine if Weavile was a thing when they released Sneasel. How OP could THAT be? XDD

And to keep this on topic, I believe Strong Energy could indeed be similar to Machamp Lv.X's No Guard. For example:

Strong Energy said:
Strong Energy -
TCGRock

Special Energy Card
This card provides
TCGRock
Energy. If this card is attached to a
TCGRock
Pokémon, each of that Pokémon's atttacks does 10 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness ans Resistance) and any damage done to that Pokémon by your opponent's Pokémon is increased by 10 (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

Luispipe8 said:
And to keep this on topic, I believe Strong Energy could indeed be similar to Machamp Lv.X's No Guard. For example:

Strong Energy said:
Strong Energy -
TCGRock

Special Energy Card
This card provides
TCGRock
Energy. If this card is attached to a
TCGRock
Pokémon, each of that Pokémon's atttacks does 10 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness ans Resistance) and any damage done to that Pokémon by your opponent's Pokémon is increased by 10 (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

So...Special Darkness Energy, but for Fighting-types (and with an automatic drawback)? That does seem to be the popular opinion, but I'd like something a little bit more interesting. Otherwise it would seem like Strong Energy is just a worse SDE.

Do I see a Special F-Energy?! http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-bw-evolved-forces-tcg-set

CMP said:
Luispipe8 said:

So...Special Darkness Energy, but for Fighting-types (and with an automatic drawback)? That does seem to be the popular opinion, but I'd like something a little bit more interesting. Otherwise it would seem like Strong Energy is just a worse SDE.

It IS my opinion, CMP, but it would be interesting to see. Could be either that, or have no Weakness/Resistance/Retreat, so I'd rather see the interesting one. :p

Teal said:
Do I see a Special F-Energy?! http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-bw-evolved-forces-tcg-set

LOL, Teal, a Float Energy? XD

Is the greninja with hidden mist officially announced yet and will it be tournament legal? I really hope to make a deck with him, just don't want to get my hopes up to high if he will be illegal and for casual play only. I am relatively new to Pokémon and don't know what and how something is deemed illegal or legal. If someone can answer this, you would make my day. Thanks

Voltaire26 said:
Is the greninja with hidden mist officially announced yet and will it be tournament legal? I really hope to make a deck with him, just don't want to get my hopes up to high if he will be illegal and for casual play only. I am relatively new to Pokémon and don't know what and how something is deemed illegal or legal. If someone can answer this, you would make my day. Thanks

The question isn't if it's Legal. The real question is: "When does it become legal?". As soon as it's released in English, or whatever language you play, it's Legal. But when and how it will be released? That's a question as good as its answer: No one can know yet. :/ Will it be released in Rising Fist? In US Flashfire? As a Promo? We'll have to wait and see, but it WILL be Legal... eventually. XD

Alli said:
Otaku said:

Like most cards, it really matters what the rest of the format is like.

Short version; Sneasel was Resistant to the current dominant attacker: Mewtwo (WotC Blackstar Promo 3 and 14), back when that reduced damage by 30 (not by 20). The original Special Energy Darkness Energy gave +10 damage per copy. Maximum printed HP at this time was 120... when Sneasel debuted, there were only three Stage 2 Pokémon and one Basic Pokémon with that 120 HP. Only a single Pokémon had 110 HP (set mate Steelix). Another 18 had 100 HP: four Stage 1s and one Basic, with the rest being Stage 2. So... most of the card pool had 90 or less HP. Out of the 550 to 600 Pokémon available at the time (I am leaving room for error), 300 to 350 had 60 HP or less.

So even powered by Rainbow Energy, Beatdown with a full Bench could KO over half the card pool. Most competitive Basic Pokémon had 70-90 HP, which just required using Special Energy Darkness Energy and/or Plus Power to get to that same 50:50 chance of a OHKO. Now remember, this wasn't "tails fails" for Beatdown; you rarely hit for zero damage with a full Bench, and with said full Bench anything was within OHKO range. Oh, and most competitive decks averaged 20-50 points of damage per turn. So Sneasel was swinging for OHKOs while others weren't.

Furthermore, this would be a time when Supporters didn't exist; there were "normal" Trainers that functioned like Items, Pokémon Tools, and Stadiums. Things weren't slow, though; instead of Professor Juniper, we had Professor Oak... which had the same effect but you could use multiple in the same turn. Bill was originally released as a "normal" Trainer at this time, so you could play it to draw an easy two cards. We also had Erika, which allowed you to draw three cards but gave your opponent the option to also draw three; most decks backed her up with Imposter Oak's Revenge, which was Red Card with a different name and requiring your discard a card to use it. Most decks would play an Erika or two ("play", not "run") and then follow up with Imposter Oak's Revenge to avoid helping the opponent at all.

We had Plus Power (good for plus 10 damage, stacks with itself), Gust of Wind (Pokémon Catcher before the errata), Scoop Up (returned the Basic Stage card of one of your in play Pokémon to hand), and Focus Band, an Item that had you flip a coin if the Pokémon it was attached to would be KOed by damage from an opponent's attack and if "heads" meant it wasn't KOed (opponent took no Prize) but survived with 10 HP left ("tails" did nothing, and in either case Focus Band was discarded). The only way to discard Pokémon Tools in play at this time was to have a Pokémon with that effect, which was rare.

Energy Removal (Crushing Hammer without the coin flip) and Super Energy Removal (discard an Energy attached to one of your Pokémon to discard two Energy cards from one of your opponent's Pokémon) made it so that anything with an Energy cost of more than two needed Energy acceleration. Those two cards did weaken Sneasel a little, as at that time the only sources of [D] Energy were the Special Energy version of Darkness Energy and Rainbow Energy... but Sneasel had counters (see next paragraph) and more importantly, would usually run Energy Removal and/or Super Energy Removal itself.

Sneasel protected itself with either Chaos Gym("Whenever a player plays a Trainer card other than a Stadium card, he or she flips a coin. If heads, that player plays that card normally. If tails, the player can't play that card. If the card isn't put into play, the player's opponent may use that card instead, if he or she does everything required in order to play that card (like discarding cards). Either way, the card goes to its owner's discard pile."), No Removal Gym ("A player must discard 2 cards from his or her hand in order to play an Energy Removal or Super Energy Removal card.") or Neo Genesis Slowking (whose Pokémon Power reads "Mind Games - Whenever your opponent plays a Trainer card, you may flip a coin. If heads, that card does nothing. Put it on top of your opponent's deck. This power can't be used if Slowking is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed."). Note that either Stadium stacks with the effects of Mind Games, and that Mind Games stacks with itself. At the time of release there were a few combos that could indirectly get Special Energy from the discard pile, or you could use Energy Charge if you wanted to rely on coin flips.

Slowking itself was eventually banned.

Otaku said:
Alli said:

So what you are telling me, is that sneasel was a one hit KO basic with the support to stop all trainer usage from the other player thanks to stadiums and Slowking and have basically infinite draw with the right cards, sounds OP alright.

Eron said:
("play", not "run")

I know it's off topic, but.
Could someone explain what's the difference? (I don't really know)
play it out => I play 2 Erika = I use 2 Erika on my turn
run in a deck => I run 4 Erika = I have 4 Erika in my deck

ECHOxLegend said:
Otaku said:

So what you are telling me, is that sneasel was a one hit KO basic with the support to stop all trainer usage from the other player thanks to stadiums and Slowking and have basically infinite draw with the right cards, sounds OP alright.

Pretty much... I guess amend it slightly to "Sneasel used that set-up best." Just like now, some cards could theoretically be replaced with still strong but less effective cards. The fact that Neo Genesis[/b] Slowking was later banned once players realized they could and should run it in every competitive deck is also a huge issue. ;) Said Slowking does not match its Japanese counterpart: the original only works while Active, and thus can't stack (and yes, its attack was still "bad" back then). Officially is was a mistranslation, and WotC always preferred to "play it as it reads" instead of issuing an errata. Some (admittedly including myself) suspect the mistranslation was intentional, as the heavy Trainer usage back then was seen as a huge problem; competitive decks almost rarely ran with less than 30 Trainers, with some very strong and effective ones running 40, give or take.
Teal said:
Eron said:
I know it's off topic, but.
Could someone explain what's the difference? (I don't really know)
play it out => I play 2 Erika = I use 2 Erika on my turn
run in a deck => I run 4 Erika = I have 4 Erika in my deck

Yeah; the exact count of a lot of card varies, just like today. In fact, if you've heard the term "tech", it originated from the larger phrase "technical advantage", a term used by players that were crunching numbers (TCGs are math :cool: ) when they found that running a single copy of a card would win them more games than it lost, even though that didn't match the predictions of their formulas. Originally it was spelled "TecH" because capitalizing extra letters was in fashion at the time (lol early 2000s!).

Most players were probably running three or four Erika unless they favored Bill.

On the off chance that Mega Gardevoir is in this set, I decided to pre-order 2 boxes. I saw some sticker ads for something in this Japanese website and the Pokemon it said that was included was...

Mega Lucario
Mega Garchomp
Mega Gardevoir
Hawlucha
Amaura

Now these are just stickers and probably have no connection to the set Rising Fist, but I still pre-ordered to avoid them being sold out like Wild Blaze.

Back