Keeping It Shivery With Chien-Pao ex

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Hey everyone! Before I dive into Chien-Pao, I thought I would introduce myself, since this is my first article on PokeBeach! I’m Ciaran, a player based out of Toronto, Canada. I have played the TCG since 2011, and have played at the World Championships seven times. Some of the accomplishments I am most proud of are as follows: #1 Championship Points North America 2016, #1 Championship Points Canada 2023, Top 4 LAIC 2023, Top 8 LAIC 2022, and Top 32 at the World Championships three times (2015, ’16, ’23). I also have a YouTube channel and podcast where I make competitive content. I love Pokemon and making content, so I’m excited to start writing for PokeBeach!
SV02_EN_236.png

For my first article, I want to do a deep dive on my favourite deck in the format, Chien-Pao ex. Chien-Pao...

Continue reading...

Is there any good configuration to use Chien Pao and Arceus Vstar? 2-- Will this deck survive with Ace Specs arriving?

Is there any good configuration to use Chien Pao and Arceus Vstar? 2-- Will this deck survive with Ace Specs arriving?
You could cut 1-1 bib for arceus, but I'd advise against it. This deck gets better with the new prime Catcher ace spec since it's cross switcher on one card. The new poffin card can also help replac vip pass when rotation happens!

You could cut 1-1 bib for arceus, but I'd advise against it. This deck gets better with the new prime Catcher ace spec since it's cross switcher on one card. The new poffin card can also help replac vip pass when rotation happens!
Thanks, I will try these tips

Você poderia cortar 1-1 babador para Arceus, mas eu desaconselho isso. Este deck fica melhor com a nova especificação Prime Catcher Ace, já que é cross switcher em uma carta. O novo cartão poffin também pode ajudar a substituir

Come to think of it, I really liked your idea, especially with the Ace spec... can you give me an example of a deck list of what the deck would look like in your formation? (with the number of each card for example)? I think I'm going to invest in this deck

Good article
I knew this was coming cause i listen to your podcast :cool:
Cryptomaniac’s deciphering is insane in this deck right?
Just realized I forgot to respond to the second part of your comment. Yes, I'm really excited to try Cryptomaniac and Prime Catcher with the new set!

Come to think of it, I really liked your idea, especially with the Ace spec... can you give me an example of a deck list of what the deck would look like in your formation? (with the number of each card for example)? I think I'm going to invest in this deck
Take the list in this article as a base. I think we can cut switchers now that we get prime catcher, and we can add a counter catcher to give another gust option. Without VIP I also want that 4th nest ball for a bit more Pokemon search consistency. Cryptomaniac also seems strong to help us set up and hit what we need off Bibarel/Pokestop!

- 4 Battle VIP Pass
- 4 Cross Switcher

+ 4 Poffin
+ 1 Prime Catcher
+ 1 Counter Catcher
+ 1 Nest Ball
+ 1 Cryptomaniac's Deciphering

Just had a game against Tina where I prized three Cross Switcher, the Lightning Energy, an Ultra Ball, and a Super Rod.

First Prize I took was Super Rod. Second Prize was the Lightning so that at least opened up an Iron Hands play. Good thing, too, because I managed to search it out the next turn for an Amp out of nowhere for another two Prizes - got one of the three (ughhhh) Cross Switchers but by then I had given up on relying on it so I had already thrown out the one in my hand. Next turn I hit a Super Energy Retrieval off PokeStop on the last 10 cards in my deck to enable the Chien-Pao play for the last two Prizes, but it was pretty anxious on my end the whole time.

The absurd luck of me prizing three Cross Switcher has me wondering why you think it's okay to simply remove all of them when you don't run any Boss's Orders or switching cards.

Just had a game against Tina where I prized three Cross Switcher, the Lightning Energy, an Ultra Ball, and a Super Rod.

First Prize I took was Super Rod. Second Prize was the Lightning so that at least opened up an Iron Hands play. Good thing, too, because I managed to search it out the next turn for an Amp out of nowhere for another two Prizes - got one of the three (ughhhh) Cross Switchers but by then I had given up on relying on it so I had already thrown out the one in my hand. Next turn I hit a Super Energy Retrieval off PokeStop on the last 10 cards in my deck to enable the Chien-Pao play for the last two Prizes, but it was pretty anxious on my end the whole time.

The absurd luck of me prizing three Cross Switcher has me wondering why you think it's okay to simply remove all of them when you don't run any Boss's Orders or switching cards.
If you remove them you need to put in counter catcher, iron bundle, or prime Catcher in the future, so you'd still have gust. With Iron hands you can also turn one prizer in two prizes or if they're attacking with a two prize pokemon you can chien Pao. So even without gust you can normally take two prizes a turn anyways.

Also prizing three cross switcher and the lightning is very low roll. If you cut switchers you can also consider playing escape rope if you still want a switch effect

I've been playing Jared Grimes 24th portland list. He removed the Iron hands and has 9 water energy + 2 copies of cancelling Cologne. I prefer it to the hands version, I feel like hands makes the deck even more clunky.

I've been playing Jared Grimes 24th portland list. He removed the Iron hands and has 9 water energy + 2 copies of cancelling Cologne. I prefer it to the hands version, I feel like hands makes the deck even more clunky.
I saw that he did well with that build. I was actually talking to Lucas Xing about that build for Portland. I don't find it that much more consistent, the only additional consistency card is the 4th nest and then 9th water. The pure water build relies heavily on the cologne play, and is more susceptible to bax getting knocked out or Iono/Counter Catcher plays since you aren't leaving energy in play with Hands. I still think it is solid, and I've messed around with it, but I still prefer the Hands version

Back