Magic Room
Heal Block

Light Screen
Reflect
Thunder Wave
Swagger
Substitute

There are tutors in X/Y?

It's very hard to believe that there is so much frustration going on over such a simple little keychain. Well, this is it, ladies and gentlemen - Klefki, the innocuous little keychain that will so drive everyone mad. Why is everyone so hot and bothered, anyway?

First off, it gets the Prankster ability, which should automatically raise some red flags for you people - it joins the ranks of other Pokemon of infamy such as Whimsicott, Sableye, and Thundurus-I. Of those, it has the most in common with Sableye, but it's actually better in a few regards: first, it sports better defenses (Sableye has 50/75/65); second, it's faster (Sableye only has 50); and third, it has much better defensive typing - though Sableye only has one weakness (Fairy) to Klefki's two (Fire and Ground), Steel gives it resistances to many types, and Fairy gives it an immunity to Dragon while cancelling a Fighting weakness.

Of course, Sableye does have a few toys that Klefki does not (Fake Out, Will-O-Wisp, and Recover), and on top of that, Klefki is the only Prankster who cannot learn Taunt, meaning it can't shut down certain setups and is liable to be Taunted itself by an opposing Whimsicott or Thundurus-I. Prankster Thunder Wave isn't to be underestimated, however (it's faster than Murkrow and outsped here only by Thundurus-I), and neither is the combination of Swagger + Foul Play. It also has Crafty Shield as an option in Doubles for those who choose to use it, as well as Spikes to apply some priority hazards, though it generally doesn't do as well when it's not applying pressure. Teams unprepared for Klefki are guaranteed to have a hard time against it.

Here's a suggested set on Klefki I've seen that performs quite well (though I'm unsure of the IV spread):

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
252 HP, 180 SpDef, 76 Def
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger
- Substitute
- Foul Play

This shores up Klefki's Special Defense since most Fire moves are Special (and its SpDef is lower), but EVs in Defense are also necessary for physical threats such as Garchomp. The goal is usually to Thunder Wave first, unless the target is immune, in which case use Swagger. Once you're safe, put up a Substitute and poke away with Foul Play. Its weaknesses aren't easily exploitable since it can just hide behind a Sub while it waits for the attacker to pass its turn due to paralysis or confusion. In short, it has the annoyance factor of Whimsicott and the defenses of Sableye.

So, what do you guys see in store for the keychain? Discuss!

After hitting the Pokemon Showdown ladder and running into a few of these things, I can see why people are complaining about it. It's not really too much trouble in the grand scheme of things though. There are excellent Ground types in the meta to at least absorb the paralysis (Excadrill, Garchomp, Hippowdon, Mamoswine...).

yay an actual response for once

A Ground-type (or even an Electric-type) basically shuts it down, since it can't really T-Wave it to start off (or, for the really weird, T-Wave Imprison Meowstic-m can beat it too). Though, Swagger + Foul Play is nothing to sneeze at; even though it is luck-based, it's extremely detrimental if it goes off.
Also, priority with anything more than 75 base Speed (including other Pranksters).

I'm not sure if it'll be high OU like Whimsicott when it first came out, but back then people didn't know how to deal with Pranksters all that well. Still, Steel/Fairy is superb defensively, though any strong Ground-type will wreck this thing.

Has anyone thought about Prankster Spikes?
With it's wide range of resistances, as a lead, Klefki could successfully set up multiple Spike layers.

Something along the lines of (forgive me I'm awful at competitive)
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
252 HP, 180 SpDef, 76 Def
Calm Nature
(this is the exact same setup as DNA's in the first post, and I see no real reason to deviate - feel free to edit as, like I said, am bad at competitive)
-Spikes
-Play Rough
-filler (Substitute? Idk)
-filler

Spikes is self explanatory; Play Rough isn't gonna do any noteworthy damage coming from base 80 unboosted attack, but it's only really there to stop Klefki becoming Taunt bait.
Substitute has some potential with this set I think; Klefki's wide resistances allow it to switch in on several Pokemon with little worry and it can Prankster Sub; after this it can set up Spikes
Or just drop Sub and go straight in with Spikes

Prankster + Thunder Wave has more use. Being able to paralyze a Pokemon before they can move comes in handy, especially if the Pokemon already is set up. It's easy to fit both Spikes and Thunder Wave on the same set though.

I wanna train a Klefki now. Swagger + Foul Play sounds too funny behind a Sub against Para.

@P.DelSlayer: When Klefki first came out, most people did look at it for Prankster Spikes. However, that set has fallen away for 2 big reasons: first, Prankster T-Wave is more useful and immediate (and longer-lasting); and second, with the advent of buffed Defog, entry hazards have lost their potency.

Also, Foul Play stops Taunt from making it deadweight. It will pretty much always be stronger than Play Rough, especially with Swagger.

Back