Kyogre from Call of Legends (SL#6) [3/16]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
cotdcopy.png

sl6-kyogre.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. Analyze the stats of the card (HP, Weakness, Resistance, Retreat cost).
2. Analyze the attacks (and/or Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies) of the card.
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. What techs can you use to combat the weak points?
5. How's the artwork?
6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).

Posts MUST be more than one sentence long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted.

I'll try to be quick about this.

Terrible.
Even more terrible. Not worth the risk of flipping tails.
Manectric with Bench Shield, but that won't stop Kyogre from taking 40 damage. MAYBE Gater Prime.
See #3.
5. How's the artwork?
Non-shiny one's better, actually.
6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
1/5.

wow, this required no thought whatsoever =D

These shiny pokemon really dont deserve the card of the day treatment.
they are meant as collectables and have horrible attacks and stats
really not much info to be gained from this topic

i give it a 3/5 for tis artwork. shiny cards look nice. great blinder bling

I find it kind of useless for a card to leave chance to damaging all of your opponent's pokemon or all of your own...

And non-shiny artwork is cooler...

Its HP is deplorable. The Weakness is possibly the worst it could have. It has no Resistance. And I simply scoff at its Retreat Cost.
Its attack is possibly the worst I have ever seen. Seriously, it does as much damage to yourself on average as it does to your opponent, and has no secondary effect. And it costs 4 energy.
None. Nothing can make this card good.
Well, I suppose you could use anything else you would use normally to help any card... but this card is really just bad beyond fixing.
5. How's the artwork?
I actually like it... the background is really nice, and the Kyogre looks pretty epic.
-4.9 Stars. In all honesty, this is one of the worst cards I have ever seen (besides Dialga COL, of course). The only thing helping it is its artwork... otherwise, it would get a -5.

Dialga is actually better because it counters Gengar, both SF and Prime, plus it can abuse Special Metal. Kyogre's far worse :D

hp isn't great, weakness is the worst you could have, what resistance?. and he'll never get a chance to retreat because most of the metagame can OKHO him anyway
takes four, and if you flip poorly all your pokes lose 40... no
no, he's too slow
switch and manteric w/ bench shield i guess?
5. How's the artwork?
the Kyogre star was better
2/5 makes good eye candy. I think that Suicune Shiny would be better because you can do 20 to all of the opponent's pokemon for WWC and has free retreat with his body.

100hp for a basic is great, but at the same time, 100hp for a fully evolved pokemon is below average. It's lightning weakness kills it with all the Luxray GL's out there, as well as Magnezone's becoming more popular. No resistance doesn't make the card any better and a 4 energy retreat cost is the lowest you can go in this format.

Destructive Tsunami, for 4 water energy has a 50% chance of doing 40 damage to all of your pokemon.

.....Ok so thats the worst case scenario, but still it's a pretty bad attack right?
Well actually, you can think about it the other way and say that you have a 50% chance of doing 40 damage to all your opponent's pokemon. And with the right cards to support it you might be able to make this card a fun deck idea at least.

The obvious one is Feraligatr Prime in order to get energy acceleration (which you WILL need if your using this attack). Another good combo is to use a Lunatone SV/ Solrock TM. The Solrock will prevent damage being removed, so that 40hp on your opponent's pokemon will stay on (until they use a card such as seeker), and in the long run can get you to a point where each heads gives you 1 or 2 prizes per turn. Lunatone SV will also protect both pokemon from LvX cards (Luxray GL, Uxie, Blaziken FB, Dialga G and probably most importantly Garchomp C).

Of course if you use the strategy above, and hit tails, then your benched pokemon will not be able to recover, so using a Manectric PL/ Bench Shield combo can prevent you from taking damage when you do hit tails. Also, if you're planning on creating a deck based on Kyogre, Exploud SV is almost always a must, otherwise you'll lose whenever you face a luxchomp. A Flygon RR could help if you ever plan on retreating, but might take too much deck space. Also, if a Kyogre does get knocked out, Fisherman can be a great card. Just get another Kyogre active, use fisherman to get the energies in your hand, and then use feraligatr to put them on the new Kyogre.

5. How's the artwork?
I don't remember seeing this card at a prerelease, so can't really comment. From the image above, it look ok.

2.25/5. It's not the worst shiny card out there (cough dialga cough) and with the techs above you can reword the attack to say "This attack does 20 damage per turn on average to all of your opponent's pokemon" which isn't terrible. The problems are it's high attack cost (Technically Tyranitar Prime can do the same, guarenteed, for 1 energy with the right set up), it's reliance on too many techs in order to be good, the Lightning Weakness, and to a lesser extent, it's low hp (there are so many things out there can do 100 damage each turn).

^All those techs, which get extremely bulky, just to have a 50% chance at getting 40 damage spread, with the other 50% being 40 damage to an already-poor-health active? No thanks...

Wow, what a name of an attack for that name, really? Shiny Kyogre is absolutely HORRIBLE, it's attack... Chance of 40 to all your Pokemon. Even though a Luxray GL will simply 1 hit KO this.

Back