Lawrenceville, 12-15 Nigel's 1st place cities report

Nigel

Extra Spicy
Last night, I had one of my friends (Ethan) sleep over so we could practice for cities. I was playing White Tea and he was playing RayEels, which he had previously won with my paralyzing all the Darkrai varients in our meta (where nobody plays Switch or Keldeo-EX). I knew that White Tea would be the play even if I didn't play Tornadus-EX, so I took it out at the last second. This gave me more room for cards that would ultimately help me win by a long shot, such as Potion, which ended up being the best card in my deck out of the entire day.

I woke him up at 5:00, which he wasn't really happy about, and we printed our decklists, practiced some more, and headed out to Lawrenceville, which is 70 miles away.

After arriving at Galactic Quest Comics, where our tournament was being held at, I decided that I should play one Revenge Bouffalant, since it OHKOs Sigilyph, a card that Austen, a good player in our meta, played a one of in his Hammertime list and won with a few weeks ago.

I'm not usually a big fan of posting tournament reports, but I'm only really posting this because of my hilarious round 2 match, which you can scroll down to if you want.

Round 1: vs. Ethan G w/Rayquaza/Eelektrik/Fliptini

I started Mewtwo-EX to his Rayquaza-EX. I went first (which is rather unlikely with my luck with flips) and managed to get a Landorus benched. However, I couldn't get a Landorus T1, so dropped a DCE on Mewtwo, while X-Balling for 40. He managed to get out 2 Tynamos during his next turn, and couldn't really do anything. Next turn I played N and everything went uphill from there. For the rest of the game, I just swept his Tynamos with Landorus for a sort of no show. It really sucks that I had to play a friend during my first match.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Richard G w/Mono-Sigilyph

This kid beat me a few cities ago playing Hammertime. I made some stupid misplays that cost me the game when it was totally in my favor. After the game, he went around bragging about how he beat me without even drawing a prize card. I worked on my list so I could whoop Hammertime, only to learn that he didn't play it this time around. Instead, he played Mono-Sigilyph, which happens to be one of my worst matchups.

I started Landorus to his.. 3 Sigilyphs. Luckily, I went first so I Ultra Balled for a Terrakion, dropped it, and passed. During his next turn, he played N and tried to get a Crushing Hammer. He got one, and missed heads on it, while passing. During my next turn, I dropped a fighting on my Revenge Bouffalant and passed. He picked up Revenge Bouffalant, read it, and figured that it would be more of a thread than Terrakion. He tried playing Crushing Hammer again, but he failed, and attacked my active Landorus-EX for 50. Next turn, I attached to Terrakion, Energy Switched to it, played Switch to Terrakion, and proceded to sweep his field of Sigilyphs for the rest of the game. During that game, he played 2 more Crushing Hammers on two seperate turns, but even though he got heads on both of them, it didn't matter since I could just attach to Terrakion during my next turn.

2-0

After this match, I tried to say GG to him and shake his hand, but he quickly scooped up his cards to me and said, "Hope you have a crappy day. Burn in hell". I always laugh about how he's such a terrible sport, and I told the judge on him, who gave Richard a warning.

Round 3 vs. Raul D. w/Mirror

Raul's list was really weird. It played Terrakion-EX and the non-ex Landorus, and he almost beat Justin Whitaker, the best player in the state, because of them. Luckily for me, his list played so much stuff that it was inconsistent, which makes since because I was downpaired against him.

I went first again, and managed to spread damage on his active Mewtwo-EX and his benched Terrakion with Landorus. His next turn, he attached a DCE on Mewtwo and attacked my Landorus for 60. Next turn, I dropped my own Mewtwo, played a Switch to Mewtwo, played a PlusPower, and Junipered. I managed to get a DCE, and attached it to Mewtwo to KO his. From there on out, I was ahead in the prize lead and managed to secure the game because of that.

3-0

Round 4 vs. Justin W. w/Darkrai/Hammers/Sigilyph

For once I went second. He managed to get a Sableye start and a Darkrai benched, and Junk Hunted for a Random Receiver that he had discarded with Ultra Ball. I started Landorus, attached an Energy to it, PlusPowered, and used Hammerhead for 40 on Sableye, and 30 on Darkrai. Next turn, he managed to set up a Darkrai but instead decided to Hammer my energy away, starting a chain of Crushing Hammers that would last most of the game. Next turn, I Catcher'd his Darkrai, attached an Eviolite to my Landorus, and attacked his Darkrai for 60, and KO'd his Sableye. The game pretty much was just me sniping everything with my Landos until he KO'd my last Landorus. At this point, I had 3 Prize Cards left and he had 2. During this turn, I did something not expected at all. I brought up Terrakion, attached to it, and used Energy Switch to move an energy attached to my benched Bouffalant to it, and KO'd his Darkrai. At this point, I had a huge hand and the only thing he had left on his field was a Sigilyph. He attacked me for 70, and then I attached to Terrakion and Land Crushed for game.

4-0

Top 2 vs. Justin W

Round 1:
This game went exactly like the Swiss round vs. him.

1-0

Round 2:
This game was going pretty well at first, he had a Shaymin-EX on his bench with 30 damage on it from one of my early Hammerheads that proved to be important. I had 3 Catchers still decked, I knew that if I was to play the 2 PlusPowers in my hand and Juniper for a Catcher, I had game. I played the PlusPowers like planned and Juniper. I whiffed the Catcher. Next turn, he KO'd my Landorus and plowed through my field with Shaymin.

1-1

Round 3
This game was even easier than my swiss match vs. him. He started Darkrai and I went first, managing to start with Landorus and hit a TRIPLE PLUSPOWER HAMMERHEAD. On my second Turn, I catchered that Darkrai and KO'd it, and managed to 6-0 him the entire game.

2-1

---

So I won. Using the 18 packs that I won from the tournament, Ethan and I managed to do a best 2 of 3 mutant draft with eachother. In both of the games I won, it was because Stoutland was a freaking beast. I can't believe that I even managed to set it up. From my packs, I pulled nothing really noteworthy (a Crystal Edge, FA Black Kyurem-EX, and Cresselia-EX). In the end, the Seniors Top 4 looked like this:

Me w/Landorus-EX/Mewtwo-EX/Terrakion/Bouffalant
Justin W w/Darkrai-EX/Sableye/Hammers/Sigilyph
Alec H w/Rayquaza/Eelektrik
Austen V w/Darkrai-EX/Terrakion/Sigilyph/Hammers

...I'm still pretty stunned that I beat Mono-Sigilyph. That's the entire reason I posted this report. :p

Props:
- Half a Box
- Undefeated in Swiss
- Trophy
- 50 CP
- Mutant Draft
- Beating Mono-Sigilyph

Slops:
- Sigilyps
- Crap Pulls
- Seniors so doesn't count

282481_4971137435674_974198705_n.jpg