• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Lock 'em Down, Build Me Up (Trevenant / Golurk / Vespiquen)

Yog

Rogue
First off I should mention I am not playing very long, I exclusively play the TCGO, and this deck is largely comprised of just the cards I've just happened to secure and traded my way towards the current deck. I'm very open to sweeping changes where necessary, but moreso am just looking for glaring noobie errors I may have committed along the way. As it stands it won't do much against most of the big decks in the meta, but against players on par with myself it offers a few different approaches, has a few of my fave Pokémon in and is just good fun to play.

The Deck;

Pokémon: (22)

2 Phantump XY 54
2 Trevenant XY 55

2 Golett AOR 34
1 Golett FFI 42
3 Golurk AOR 35

3 Combee AOR 9
3 Vespiquen AOR 10
4 Unown AOR 30
1 Bunnelby PRC 121

1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: (28)

3 Wally
3 Professor Sycamore
2 Professor Birch's Observations
2 Lysandre
1 Teammates
1 Pokémon Center Lady​

1 Evosoda
2 Battle Compressor
2 VS Seeker
2 Acro Bike
3 Ultra Ball
2 Escape Rope
1 Weakness Policy
1 Muscle Band
2 Dimension Valley​

Energy: (10)

4 Double Colorless Energy
4 Mystery Energy
2 Psychic Energy​

Strategy:

The overall idea is to try get Trevenant out for an early item lock. Turn 1 if possible via Wally but it's also there to just throw spread damage across the bench when that doesn't work out. The three Wallys are there to speed up this process, as well as help Golett & Combee get up to speed later in the game. One Evosoda instead of a fourth Wally since the amount of Supporters can get in each other's way with one per turn.

Mid-game Golurk is my main damage dealer and if I can get the energy on him he does that well. The Stadium & Special Energies help keep down these costs but obviously don't help Vespiquen. Just two stadiums - I'm not looking to get into a stadium war - just to take advantage of decks that don't run any, or to knock theirs out at a crucial time.

By late game Vespiquen is the ace in the hole. If Trev/Golurk aren't doing the job, they are probably in the discard by now, which of course helps her. Unowns do the same, while Ultra Balls & Sycamore help that further. The single Bunnelby in a bind can return discards that I didn't really want to drop.

The single Shaymin I just got lucky with in a pack and is obviously for extra draw. I would have more than just one if I had them :p So expensive though.

The rest of the items & Support are a bit mish-mash and probably an area I should tighten up. Each one has it's uses and the Seekers help me get the ones I need back out when I need them.

Improvements

I suppose this is where you seasoned vets come in. As I said in the pre-amble Trevenant & Golurk are some of my fave Pokémon so I'm happy to use them. The whole Ghost/Poison type is general is fun. I have been looking at a possible Gengar deck - and to that end I'm now the proud owner of three EX and one Mega-EX. I do know that might be undoable unless/until Float Stone makes a return for BreakThrough. I can wait, or maybe play around with some experiments for now. I'm very open to him, Wobbuffets, Crobats, Chandelures <3 and Scolipedes and the likes if they could work here better.

I am still new enough where I have very little trading power, so each card I chase down needs to be for good reason. I'm not looking to create the next Meta. Just to tighten up what is a fun deck, iron out the kinks, and maybe bolster it to the point where it can verge on competitiveness with all the uber-EX decks that murder me.

Thicker Trevenant line would be good since you'd start with Phantump more, thus pulling off the Item lock turn one more often. More Shaymins obviously help, but I understand that they can be hard to get a hold of. You'll probably want another Sycamore and 2 more VS Seekers for consistency. Trainers' Mail would also be good for fishing for Wally. Another thing I might do is swap your counts of Psychic and Mystery Energy. You'll mainly want Trevenant active, so free retreat isn't that big of a deal, and this is not particularly a good format to be relying on Special Energies due to cards like Enhanced Hammer and Aegislash.

This advice gears the deck more towards a turn one Trevenant deck, which I'm assuming is where you'll eventually want this deck to go.

Cheers Mora.

I can get my hands on most of those handily I'd say, with the exception of Shaymin. If I was to add another 1-1 Trev, another Sycamore, VS, and a trainers mail or two, where would you recommend cutting to make room?

I could probably lose 1 Combee & Vespiquen, since by the time I want to use them it's later so I'll have as much chance to find them by then. But that in turn means less discard to build her up.

Probably the Vespiquen, Gollurk, and their evolutions; you'll probably ultimately want to cut them in favor of things like Gengar EX and maybe a Wobbuffet or two that synergize better with Trevenant. Or you might end up with a variant that's strictly Trevenant and Shaymin, which I've seen and is a thing.

Back