Luxray GL LV.X from Rising Rivals (#109), 3/25/2010

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential?
On it's own, not so good. 60 Damage isn't that much, and the power is situational. But that's just on it's own.
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
SOOO many. You could really put it in any deck, which is why you see this thing paired up with everything from Beedrill to Flygon.
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
Well, like I said, really anything. It's not to hard to throw in a 1-1 Luxray line, a lightning energy and a gain. It's power is awesome: being able to hit any pokemon you want on your opponent's side of the field is wonderful. That being said, there are problems with it. It can be sprayed, and Machamp, Donphan, and Promocroak all OHKO it. Even so, you could put this in anydeck and make it better.
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
I'mma say 4.5 outta 5. There are problems, but it's still excellent.
5. How's the artwork?
Awful. SOOO bad. Admittedly, I've grown to it after using it, but still. Hideous. Look at it! It's like... bouncy. I really like some of Mitsuhiro Arita's other work, so I wish this didn't suck so bad.

This card would not be as popular without energy gain poketurn and power spray and cyruss conspiricy

1. How does the card stand?

Outstanding. Bright Look is game-warping. Lots of potential in the right decks which leads to...

2. What popular metagame builds use this?

SP builds immediately come to mind. Any decks running SPs or any Electric Pokemon should use this for the Bright Look.

3. What combos abuse this?

Much like #2, Poketurn and a free retreat cost let this card assist in donking as early as turn two given the right set-up and a partner (ANY partner) capable of high damage early.

4. Rate the card.

No card is PERFECT, but this is getting dangerously close.

5. Like the artwork?

Sorry Luxray, but for a card with an effect called Bright Look, I should be looking at those eyes and be feeling red-hot anger coming off you. This Luxray just looks upset, not angry or frightening. In the words of Patches O'Houlahan (two points for you if you get the reference): YOU GOTTA GET ANGRY!!!! Art needs work. Action pose is cool, but the eyes are not angry enough.

EspeonROX said:
OK, really? We could type paragraphs upon paragraphs for the use of this guy...ugh.

That was kinda the point when I came up for the Card. Unfortunately, most of the posts in here weren't even for reviewing it and were mainly just back and forth useless arguing but I digress.

This card stands on its own, but right now it's best played with Garchomp C Lv.X. Luxray+Toolbox was more played back in Fall BR than now I believe.

Luxray+Garchomp, Gyarados, Speedrill, other SP Varient decks, the list goes on and on.

Garchomp C Lv.X to heal the damage from Flash Impact, Pokemon Reversal for even more disruption, Quagsire GL to soak up damage, etc.

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).

This card deserves it's 5/5 for being the BCIF by far. Being able to take a Prize so easily from the Power and being an SP can abuse all the Team Galatic Items makes the card even better.

5. How's the artwork?

I actually like the style of the artwork. It's different than most of the Lv.X's, and the background is what really gives it its pop.

dmaster out.

Guiding questions:
5. How's the artwork?

1. On its own, it is still pretty good. Regardless of trainers and other pokemon in play, this card still has its amazing power that allows cheap/easy prizes.

2. Almost any SP decks use it. I've heard of SOME gyarados decks using it. Last year Beedrill used it.

3. I have no new combo's in mind at the moment.

4. I rated it 5 stars. But I would also rate it 9/10 if not 10/10.
Why? Given the decks and combo's already out there, this card is beastly. Its used in many Teir 1 decks and has proven itself to be great.

5. The artwork by itself is pretty good. About 3.5/5
However, my only complaint is the inconsistency from its basic GL card. The basic card shows it with Claws while this one lacks them.

It actually does decent damage. It hits that oh-so-common lightning weaknes, and doing 60 for 1 is great. Also, it's not like you're going to put the 30 on your main attacker. You could just put it on a crobat G and poketurn it away, put it on a SP and Healing Breath it away.
Many. Anything that's not horribly slow and that could use switching. Heck, with warp points/switches Donphan could use this.
Easy. Bring up a uxie or claydol, retreat and smash it. Bring up something with a high retreat cost (Claydol, Regice, etc) and snipe from behind it (Garchomp, anyone?)
I'm going to give it 4.8 out of 5, the only reason why is that the attack isn't that good. I mean, we've come to expect great damage from SP's, and a recoiling 60 on a level X isn't that great.
5. How's the artwork?
Ehh... Mediocre. Good, but not for a level X. There's worse, but there's also better.

Amazing Card but so hard to obtain even thou i got 3

Please follow the rules for rating Card of the Days. Thanks!

VERY good...lol...it only needs 2 turns to hit ur opponents with 60 damage and almost basic will KO except for the SP pokemon.

Jumpluff, and garchomp C, also i'm thinking about palkia g lv x

garchomp c lv x ...lol

5 stars ...lol

5. How's the artwork?
it is similar to other lv x cards, nothing special....

1) GOOD?! This thing has taken the metagame by frickin' STORM!! I will cover everything else in later points.

2) As many have already said/posted, it can be used at the very least as a tech in virtually any deck, prominently in Speedrill (which won worlds) and LuxChomp (again taking metagame by storm).

3) Combos, combos. Dang this is going to be long. One option would be to use Poke Turn to use its Power multiple times. Another strategy would be utilizing its speed. Play it, use Bright Look, retreat, kill with a big hitter. Either that or use Energy gain to attack for 1 energy and put damage on something that doesn't mind. Then, there is another path, Power. First turn, add EBelt and Double-Colorless to do 50 with Bite on the non-leveled forme (yes, I am being radical thinking about using the lower version!), then, with a Platinum Delecatty on the bench, use Trash Bolt for 90, and get the energies back with Delecatty. If this doesn't appeal to you, use Flash Impact, and put damage on Delecatty who doesn't mind damage and eventually can hit pretty hard. The same can be said for Stormfront Dusknoir.

4) I give it 5/5. One down part is that Donphan Prime scares it. But it makes up with its buddies it supports, namely Jumpluff, Beedrill, and Garchomp.

5) I have never been a big Luxray art fan, and this is no exception. What I really don't like about it is it's ears. I mean really, it's supposed to have good eyesight, not good hearing.
"Why Grandma, what big ears you have."
"All the better to hear you with, my dear..."

This card is in most of the top decks in the current format.

Since we don't have Gust of Wind, and even if we did, I would still play Luxray for the sake of abusing the Team Galactic Trainer engine. It's more like having the option open to make Poke Turn into four more copies of Gust of Wind.

Donphan, Machamp and Luxray's arch nemesis Toxicroak G promo (funny to me that the best counter to an SP is another SP....).

60 for 2 is solid, recoil damage doesn't matter because decks that attack with Luxray have Garchomp C X, and decks that tech it for bright look Poke Turn it out of play.
5/5

I like the art on this card, and most SP pokemon. 5/5.

1. It's an interesting card, it's good for wiping out quick weak opponents but it's pokepower makes it a lot more useful, because it can use moves from before. Flash impact is risky.

2. Anything with lots of HP

3. dunno:(

4. It's ok, 3.5/5. It's attack is unbelievably inconvenient.:(

5. Eh. 2/5 :(

Back