• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Sceptile EX / Lugia EX / Ariados

SugoiiSenpaii

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everybody my name is SugoiiSenpaii and I am new here and to competitive Pokemon in general. I'm 18 years and after a long decision I've decided to start playing rather than just standing on the sidelines and collecting. I saved up the money to start my first competitive deck and surprisingly I did well with it at my first league. I've come here to ask for some insight on my deck and how to make more viable against expanded decks.

Name: Sceptile Feeds Lugia an Ariados Appetizer

Pokemon:
  • 4 Sceptile-EX
  • 3 M Sceptile-EX
  • 3 Lugia-EX
  • 2 Shaymin-EX
  • 1 Hoopa-EX
  • 2 Spinarak
  • 2 Ariados
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Muscle Bands (Pokemon League)
  • 3 Mega Turbo
  • 3 Sceptile Spirit Link
  • 2 Trainers Mail
  • 2 Switch
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Professor Birch's Operations
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 3 Forest of Giant Plants
  • 2 Silent Lab
Energy:
  • 9 Grass Energy
  • 2 Double Colorless Energy
Strategy:

Well.... To be honest I studied the XY-on format for hours and out of all the possible decks I've come up with, I've found this one to be the most fun and awesome deck to use. For starters the fact that Sceptile is a viable Pokemon in the TCG makes feel so happy because he is my favorite starter of all time. Taking that into account I had to find other Pokemon that would be able to support him well. Ariados seemed like a really good bench sitter who can provide support to both Sceptile and M Sceptile. After finding some synergy between the two I looked to find a secondary attacker. I needed someone who could hit for big damage and also provided lots of utility. That partner was Lugia. Lugia can already start doing some damage with his reprinted "Aero Ball", but I also use him for his "Deep Hurricane". After watching so many competitive battles I have a rational fear of losing stadium control so I use Lugia to level the playing field I don't have a stadium to counter with.
Now that we are done discussing about the Pokemon I would like to talk a little bit about my supporter line. Now as you can see I have "Shauna" in parentheses beside the "Prof. Birch" and that is because sometimes I don't think the risk is necessary for 2 extra cards rather than 1 less card. Also "Sycamore" is a big problem because I don't like running it with Ultra Ball. I have been thinking of running one less "Prof. Letter" and a 4th "Mega Turbo" in order to have a little more leeway in discarding energy.
I hope after seeing this you guys/gals can help a newcomer build a top tier deck.

Other Options:

Malamar-EX
Trevenant-EX

Deck Ideas:

Miltank/Vileplume
Raichu/Eeveelutions

I appreciate all feedback and if anyone wants to discuss deck ideas I'd be glad to.

Raichu/bats is better then raichu eevee's, deck hits for 180 and stacks dmg wherever you want it to go.

drop hex maniac, 2 silent lab for 3 VS seeker, you need to get back supporters for more draw power and having silent lab in your deck hurts your draw power when it's limited to 11 cards.

Raichu/bats is better then raichu eevee's, deck hits for 180 and stacks dmg wherever you want it to go.

drop hex maniac, 2 silent lab for 3 VS seeker, you need to get back supporters for more draw power and having silent lab in your deck hurts your draw power when it's limited to 11 cards.

That does seem like the better option. It's a good thing that I had 3 come in the mail recently haha. but should I be more concerned with stadium or they are not too much of a factor as I am making them out to be?

To get the turn of evolution factor is decent but not 100% needed to run your decklist considering that everything is stage 1 or basic, playing 3 is solid, due to the fact of being able to counter opposing stadiums like faded town and silent lab, playing 3 helps in that way.

Back