• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Magcargo "Spread damage" deck

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
I have been playing around Magcargo a bit since it got released and i really liked this particular idea:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 2 Oranguru SUM 113
* 2 Tapu Lele UPR 94
* 2 Slugma CES 23
* 2 Magcargo CES 24
* 1 Jolteon-EX GEN 28
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM30
* 1 Necrozma-GX BUS 134
* 2 Alolan Sandshrew GRI 19
* 1 Alolan Sandshrew UPR 28
* 1 Pyukumuku SUM 47
* 1 Volcanion {*} FLI 31
* 2 Alolan Sandslash UPR 29
* 2 Alolan Sandslash GRI 20

##Trainer Cards - 28

* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 148
* 1 Lillie SUM 147
* 2 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Evosoda GEN 62
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 3 Float Stone PLF 99
* 2 Ultra Ball PLB 90
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 N FCO 105
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Field Blower GRI 163
* 1 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 2 Shrine of Punishment CES 143
* 1 Ninja Boy STS 103
* 2 Aqua Patch GRI 119

##Energy - 12

* 4 Double Colorless Energy XY 130
* 4 Water Energy HS 117
* 2 Counter Energy CIN 100
* 2 Rainbow Energy SUM 137

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

1. Start with either Tapu Koko or Pyukumuku in the active and use Shrine of Punishment. Start poking and make sure you always have a backup attacker. Bench Sandshrew, Slugma and Oranguru.

2. Follow up with Alolan Sandslash UPR. He has a nice swing since he is able to place up to 90 (140 with choice band and Kukui) damage counters on the board for 0 energy cost (or force your opponent to use Guzma).

3. Proceed to setup Magcargo and Alolan Sandslash GRI. Both of them up together grants the exact card you need each turn. This will help your endgame with Volcanion PS, Necrozma-Gx followed up with Tapu Lele UPR.

A few notes:

1. I think that Volcanion Prism has one of the best spread attack in the game (the best for a basic). He is not very easy to setup but when he does setup he makes wonders. This fact seems to justify the idea of building a spread deck which includes some water energy.

2. Alolan Sandslash GRI pairs up very well with Magcargo for reasons stated before (this just helps a lot when it comes the time to find the Counter Energy Tapu Lele UPR desperately needs). He is not the best attacker in the deck but he has synergy with Pyukumuku (switch attack).

3. Adding a fairy energy is something to consider. Sometimes you need to use Magical Swap while in the lead. This means that maybe Rainbow or Unit Energy could be used with another type of attacker.

4. Ninja Boy is mainly there for Necrozma-Gx. It makes using it a surprise attack and makes it harder to counter for the opponent. Note that Ninja Boy can also be used to give up a prize sometimes in order to trigger Counter Energy.

Comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Following are a few thoughts for your consideration:

With only 2 Pokémon (currently listed) that could possibly spread damage, this count seems quite insufficient to support your strategy.

Why not run 4 Tapu Koko to maximize your chances of starting with 1?

Why no Latios (SLG)?

Have you considered testing Alolan Ninetales GX? A 3-2+ line would serve you better than the Alolan Sandslash line.

The Magcargo supports card drawing, but, it's also a "bench warmer" and not a good attacker. Have you considered testing Zoroark GX instead?

Why no Tapu Lele (SMP 45) to manipulate the spread damage?

Having 4 types of energy increases your chances of not having the right energy at the needed time. Zoroark GX + Mallow could help in this regard. You may also need to consider adding Special Charge too.

Although your Stadium, Shrine of Punishment, drops damage counters on EX and GX Pokémon, that, most likely will not deter opponents from playing their EX/GX Pokémon, especially when taking prizes via 1HKO. Whereas in your case, your attack damage output is relatively "low"; so, you may need to 2-3HKO an opponent's "bigger" HP Pokémon.

In summary, I believe your deck needs to be more streamlined and focused in order to support your stated strategy.

Following are a few thoughts for your consideration:

With only 2 Pokémon (currently listed) that could possibly spread damage, this count seems quite insufficient to support your strategy.

Why not run 4 Tapu Koko to maximize your chances of starting with 1?

Why no Latios (SLG)?

Considering damage manipulation with Tapu Lele UPR, it all boils down to how many damage counters you can put up so doing 4x20 dmg with Tapu Koko or lets say 80 dmg with SandSlash is basically the same in the end. Usually Spread attacks will be better since it will more efficiently put counters up but having regular attacks can also work. I doubt that 4 Tapu Koko would be the best count since it has a weakness to Buzzwole who is rampant. Latios is an option. He spreads damage but does not place much counters. I guess its psychic type partially makes up for that.

Have you considered testing Alolan Ninetales GX? A 3-2+ line would serve you better than the Alolan Sandslash line.

The Magcargo supports card drawing, but, it's also a "bench warmer" and not a good attacker. Have you considered testing Zoroark GX instead?

You forgot a very important fact. Those are not 1 prize attackers and your opponent can take advantage of this. From my testings, using 2 prize attackers does not help the idea. They also cannot use Counter Energy. Alolan Sandslash provides either a cheap attacker or a way to draw into what you need. Necrozma is one of the few Gx-Ex that seems to be worth the inclusion since he can place ridiculous amounts of damage counters.

Why no Tapu Lele (SMP 45) to manipulate the spread damage?

Tapu Lele UPR is the same.

Having 4 types of energy increases your chances of not having the right energy at the needed time. Zoroark GX + Mallow could help in this regard. You may also need to consider adding Special Charge too.

Magcargo with Sandslash is the 1 prize attacker version and does the same thing. It helps managing the different energy types.

Although your Stadium, Shrine of Punishment, drops damage counters on EX and GX Pokémon, that, most likely will not deter opponents from playing their EX/GX Pokémon, especially when taking prizes via 1HKO. Whereas in your case, your attack damage output is relatively "low"; so, you may need to 2-3HKO an opponent's "bigger" HP Pokémon.

Shrine of punishment is OP and it is not a deterrent. The more they bench the better it is. My damage output is rather low and i will loose my attacker almost every turn. This is a reason why Alolan Sandslash is good here. He can attack for free while you attach to your next attackers; Volcanion Prism and Necrozma-Gx.

In summary, I believe your deck needs to be more streamlined and focused in order to support your stated strategy.

Thanks for replying.

To round it up, basically you usually need 600 damage counters up to win the game. This deck can usually manage to place on average 90 damage counters with attacks per turn. this means it takes around 7 turns to place the sufficient amount. Volcanion Prism Star, Necrozma-Gx and Shrine of punishment can help achieve the threshold faster.

From your recommendations, as stated i can hardly resign myself into using 2 prize attackers since I believe this would backfire most of the time. On the other hand, I will be working on improving the odds of seting up Volcanion Prism Star since he is the most efficient attacker for the strategy. This would probably mean reworking energy counts and types and maybe adding a Gladion just in case. I will be testing a bit more before i update the list. My preliminary testings gave me decent results but the list is far from perfect yet.

Back