Pokemon Mascots

It WAS going to be Clefairy until 3 weeks later before the release of the anime where they changed it to Pikachu.

GrimsChild said:
It WAS going to be Clefairy until 3 weeks later before the release of the anime where they changed it to Pikachu.
Yep it was Clefairy... I would have been a mess at the Pokemon Company, wouldn't it? I wouldn't like to be there at the moment before the release of the 1st gen. xD I can imagine all those people running around and screaming, big mess, papers all around just for changing very important things at the last moment :p

If it wasn't Pikachu, it just wouldn't be Pokemon. We've grown up with Pikachu as the mascot. Why change?

Well, it would have to be something with elemental typing...because the anime started out more in the shonen genre.

I say Growlithe or Vulpix because they are fire types and could have had that "cute" factor.

ETRURIANSAGE said:
Well, it would have to be something with elemental typing...because the anime started out more in the shonen genre.

I say Growlithe or Vulpix because they are fire types and could have had that "cute" factor.

When you look at cuteness and evolutions, Eevee would have been a good choice.

omahanime said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:

But see, the mascot for pokemon can't evolve. Like Pikachu wouldn't evolve. If your mascot changes it makes it harder to maintain branding for the product.

ETRURIANSAGE said:
omahanime said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:

But see, the mascot for pokemon can't evolve. Like Pikachu wouldn't evolve. If your mascot changes it makes it harder to maintain branding for the product.

My point is an Eevee has the potential to be whatever you want it to be.

ETRURIANSAGE said:
omahanime said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:

HAHA you say this, yet you suggest growlithe or vulpix, both which can evolve HAHAHA

safariblade said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
omahanime said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:

HAHA you say this, yet you suggest growlithe or vulpix, both which can evolve HAHAHA

Yeah...I guess I was thinking that a vulpix would turn down a fire stone like pika turned down the thunderstone =)

ETRURIANSAGE said:
safariblade said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
omahanime said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:

Yeah...I guess I was thinking that a vulpix would turn down a fire stone like pika turned down the thunderstone =)
Well same is for Eevee:p Thunderstone into Jolteon, Water Stone into Vaporeon and Fire Stone for Flareon ;)

Pokequaza said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
safariblade said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
omahanime said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:

Well same is for Eevee:p Thunderstone into Jolteon, Water Stone into Vaporeon and Fire Stone for Flareon ;)
But eevee would evolve eventually by friendship!

penny power said:
Pokequaza said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
safariblade said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
omahanime said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:

Yes and I knew when I posted the reply before, but we're talking about the 1st gen, where Espeon and Umbreon didn't exist yet ;)

Quote trees are pretty cool, yo.

I wouldn't have the mascot any other pokémon. Pikachu worked and keeps working.

Pokequaza said:
penny power said:
Pokequaza said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
safariblade said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
omahanime said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:

Yes and I knew when I posted the reply before, but we're talking about the 1st gen, where Espeon and Umbreon didn't exist yet ;)
But I thought we were talking about all gens.

penny power said:
Pokequaza said:
penny power said:
Pokequaza said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
safariblade said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
omahanime said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:

Uhm... we were talking about what Pokemon could have been a mascot instead of Pikachu, so we talking about before the release of the 1st gen. Espeon and Umbreon didn't exist back then ;)

Pokequaza said:
penny power said:
Pokequaza said:
penny power said:
Pokequaza said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
safariblade said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
omahanime said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:

Uhm... we were talking about what Pokemon could have been a mascot instead of Pikachu, so we talking about before the release of the 1st gen. Espeon and Umbreon didn't exist back then ;)
Yes, this was before even the first gen came out, but they were considering the mascot for the entire series. Maybe they had early plans for umbreon and espeon?

penny power said:
Pokequaza said:
penny power said:
Pokequaza said:
penny power said:
Pokequaza said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
safariblade said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:
omahanime said:
ETRURIANSAGE said:

Yes, this was before even the first gen came out, but they were considering the mascot for the entire series. Maybe they had early plans for umbreon and espeon?
This could be possible, but in this case, no. If they planned to make Pokemon in the next gen evolve with maxed happinness, the must planned too to make a difference between day and night. And if they had already planned this back in the 1st gen they probably put the day/night difference in 1st gen too (cuz it's a nice feature). And if they had planned them they probably would be in the Kanto Dex, there was a period when making the first gen they had too less Pokemon, if Umbreon and Espeon were already designed back then they would be probably in the Kanto Dex atm. And not even talking about Umbreon being a Dark type, which didn't exist either in the 1st gen. There are too many things missing in the 1st gen for a Espeon and Umbreon, so it's almost impossible.

Back