XY Mega Pokémon: Which Pokémon Would You Like To See With A Mega Evolution?

RE: How do you feel about the revealed Mega Pokémon and which new Mega Pokémon are you hoping to see?

I agree with what professorlight just said. I was feeling the same way about Mawile. It does not have any regular evolutions, but it's normal form is still very weak. I was expecting a regular evolution for it, but if it gets a Mega Evolution, I doubt it will get a regular one too. This is why I'm generally against Pokémon that still have regular evolution methods to get a Mega Evolution.

RE: How do you feel about the revealed Mega Pokémon and which new Mega Pokémon are you hoping to see?

Drohn said:
I agree with what professorlight just said. I was feeling the same way about Mawile. It does not have any regular evolutions, but it's normal form is still very weak. I was expecting a regular evolution for it, but if it gets a Mega Evolution, I doubt it will get a regular one too. This is why I'm generally against Pokémon that still have regular evolution methods to get a Mega Evolution.

It rules it out for this generation, but it might not for the future - the official site specifically says that Mega Evolutions are "a transformation found only in the Kalos region", meaning that they won't necessarily transfer over to the next generation. They could, if they're well-received, but they might end up ditching them altogether for Gen. VII, which would open up the possibility of more evolutions.

DorianBlack said:
Drohn said:

It rules it out for this generation, but it might not for the future - the official site specifically says that Mega Evolutions are "a transformation found only in the Kalos region", meaning that they won't necessarily transfer over to the next generation. They could, if they're well-received, but they might end up ditching them altogether for Gen. VII, which would open up the possibility of more evolutions.

I don't think they would do all those cool designs just to scrap them after one generation. Megaforms are here to stay, I'm afraid.
But they also limit the normal possibilities for new evos and preevos, unless they decide to make a megamegaevolution.

I really like the Megas they seem unique at first I was disappointed but not because I didn't like them I was just hoping to see possibly litleo evolution and more on oorotto.And since there's suppose to be more mega pokemon it makes me worried that there wont be much newer pokemon left though I am curious what other mega forms will look like I just hope they will also have more gen 6 pokes as well since I probably wont use megas though I'm debating on mawile or absol.As for other mega forms I wouldn't mind seeing some of these Druddigon,Kecleon,Banette,Zangoose,Sharpedo,Houndoom,Octillery,Skarmory,Shuckle,Pinsir,Aerodactyl,Ninetales(I love ninetales the way he is but I'm curious how they would make an even bigger nine tail fox look like),Manectric(maybe),Chatot,Sableye,Luxray(maybe),Zoroark(maybe) that's all I can think of that I wouldn't mind seeing but Im not sure if I would want all I would have said eevee but I want him to have at least 2 more regular evolutions

I was fine with the way the distribution of Pokemon with Hidden Abilities worked through the Dream World in Gen V since you were able to trade and breed Pokemon with Hidden Abilities without a need to change their appearance, get new types, and have stat increases. But Game Freak apparently thought that it was a terrible idea to stick with for Gen VI by shutting down the Dream World when XY are released worldwide by actually having Pokemon with Hidden Abilities change their appearance, get new types, and increase their stats temporarily when there was no reason for the change at all. They're just doing it probably to cover up new Gen VI Pokemon with permanent evolutions that would've been something to look forward to more than old Pokemon in Gen VI with a fresh coat of paint. Just give me old Pokemon with new Hidden Abilities instead of needing to change their appearance to do so through "Mega Evolution".

To make matters worse Lightningrod Zapdos and the Kanto Starters with their Dream World Abilities will most likely never be released outside Japan before Gen VI arrives, meaning that they plan on making Mega Evolutions for the Kanto Starters by changing their appearances as well including Charizard as a Fire/Dragon Type. Sure not all Pokemon will receive Mega Evolutions but there's already rumors going around that Scizor, Sableye, Jynx, and Donphan may be getting Mega Evolutions as well. I just feel that Mega Evolutions feel like poor game design as it will only contribute to more power creep in Gen VI for Competitive Battling. Pokemon with new Hidden Abilities without having to change their appearance and permanent evolutions instead of temporary one's would've been a better solution for Gen VI but unfortunately Game Freak decided not to go that route. It really feels like Game Freak is trying to merge elements from Digimon and incorporate them straight into Pokemon for Gen VI which is a terrible idea.

So it hasn't been confirmed yet that Sylveon might be a Mega Evolution of Eevee? I doubt it would be considering that Eevee's other evolutions are permanent depending on the conditions being met to evolve it.

Card Slinger J said:
I was fine with the way the distribution of Pokemon with Hidden Abilities worked through the Dream World in Gen V since you were able to trade and breed Pokemon with Hidden Abilities without a need to change their appearance, get new types, and have stat increases. But Game Freak apparently thought that it was a terrible idea to stick with for Gen VI by shutting down the Dream World when XY are released worldwide by actually having Pokemon with Hidden Abilities change their appearance, get new types, and increase their stats temporarily when there was no reason for the change at all. They're just doing it probably to cover up new Gen VI Pokemon with permanent evolutions that would've been something to look forward to more than old Pokemon in Gen VI with a fresh coat of paint. Just give me old Pokemon with new Hidden Abilities instead of needing to change their appearance to do so through "Mega Evolution".

To make matters worse Lightningrod Zapdos and the Kanto Starters with their Dream World Abilities will most likely never be released outside Japan before Gen VI arrives, meaning that they plan on making Mega Evolutions for the Kanto Starters by changing their appearances as well including Charizard as a Fire/Dragon Type. Sure not all Pokemon will receive Mega Evolutions but there's already rumors going around that Scizor, Sableye, Jynx, and Donphan may be getting Mega Evolutions as well. I just feel that Mega Evolutions feel like poor game design as it will only contribute to more power creep in Gen VI for Competitive Battling. Pokemon with new Hidden Abilities without having to change their appearance and permanent evolutions instead of temporary one's would've been a better solution for Gen VI but unfortunately Game Freak decided not to go that route. It really feels like Game Freak is trying to merge elements from Digimon and incorporate them straight into Pokemon for Gen VI which is a terrible idea.

The dream world is temporarily shut down so they can revamp it for gen 6. So the regular Pokemon with hidden abilities won't be gone forever. Gamefreak just decided to spice things up with some major change (gen 6 is know as the evolution of the Pokemon series anyways), so the Megas are there to provide a little extra fun to the game. With the mega evos they are also able to bring back older Pokemon and make them relevant without having to worry about taking up space in the pokedex. Plus third stage Pokemon who aren't that great can now get a much needed boost to help them competitively.

I would've been alright with new permanent evolutions for old Pokemon like Absol and Mawile while taking up space on the Pokedex in XY. Game Freak did that in Gen IV with Diamond/Pearl that had permanent evolutions for Piloswine, Tangela, Sneasel, and Gligar so I don't see why it would be a problem for them to do it again in Gen VI which they didn't. Pokemon didn't really need a third stage evolution anyway, I just find it entirely pointless compared to the way Hidden Abilities were handled in Gen V for specific Pokemon which was much better where they didn't even change their appearance either.

Card Slinger J said:
I would've been alright with new permanent evolutions for old Pokemon like Absol and Mawile while taking up space on the Pokedex in XY. Game Freak did that in Gen IV with Diamond/Pearl that had permanent evolutions for Piloswine, Tangela, Sneasel, and Gligar so I don't see why it would be a problem for them to do it again in Gen VI which they didn't. Pokemon didn't really need a third stage evolution anyway, I just find it entirely pointless compared to the way Hidden Abilities were handled in Gen V for specific Pokemon which was much better where they didn't even change their appearance either.

Absol already has a very high attack so giving it an evolution is would make it too OP. Most of the Megas don't even get their dream world ability (except for Blaziken) as they get a completely new abilities to go along with their new power. Gamefreak will keep the normal hidden ability Pokemon factor, because its still a new concept, so they wouldn't just throw it away so soon. Mainly they're just adding a new concept to the game in addition to the previously existing regular Pokemon with hidden abilities. From my perspective, Gamefreak is giving us as many new Pokemon as they can without adding too many Pokemon to the pokedex, and redesigning Pokemon who would've slowly disappeared to the dark corners of the Pokemon universe.

What Game Freak considers "Mega Evolution" as a new concept has already been done before by the creators of Digimon because you have your Basic Pokemon being the equivalent of Rookie Digimon, Stage 1 Pokemon being Champion Digimon, Stage 2 Pokemon being Ultimate Digimon, with "Mega Evolution" Pokemon being Mega Digimon. Although there's controversy about that cause in the 1st Season of the Digimon Anime "Mega Digimon" in the English Dub was known as "Ultimate Digimon" in the Japanese Sub.

^So what? Do you have a problem with that? That's something they should have done already... But you're wrong about the Digimon levels thing...
Mega level is only called Mega in English. The original japanese level names are: Child, Adult, Perfect and Ultimate. Plus, unlike Mega Pokémon, Ultimate digimon is not a temporary in-battle only thing. It may seem that way in the anime, but you could say the same about the other levels then. In the anime, the only digimon that devolve are usually the partner Digimon. Natural Ultimate digimon don't devolve (example: Dark Masters from Season 1). Also, afaik, in the Digimon games, when you evolve something up until the Ultimate level, it is not temporary, it stays in that level...

Well Pokemon shouldn't be trying to steal ideas from Digimon, I don't know why people think that's okay when it's not. Not only did both franchises release around the same time frame back in the late 90's but for the longest time since Gen V Game Freak has avoided stealing any ideas from Digimon to incorporate onto their Pokemon games unless If I missed something. But thanks for correcting me on that tidbit of Digimon info, I didn't follow the Digimon Anime series religiously like I did with Dragonball Z in the late 90's to mid 2000's but I did the best I could to make my point on what I've heard in regards to the Digimon franchise.

^I'm talking about doing a crossover with Digimon, not about stealing ideas. But like I just said, the concepts are different, so GF is not really copying anything...

I get what you're saying now, I just don't like the idea of a crossover between Pokemon and Digimon starting with Gen VI in XY which is what it feels like Game Freak is doing almost. Pokemon has a formula that makes it feel more unique and organic than Digimon where as Digimon's saving grace is the Anime series cause the games for it seem to have really bad quality because of the company that licenses the games for Digimon. Pokemon's lucky cause it's backed by Nintendo...

Card Slinger J said:
Well Pokemon shouldn't be trying to steal ideas from Digimon, I don't know why people think that's okay when it's not. Not only did both franchises release around the same time frame back in the late 90's but for the longest time since Gen V Game Freak has avoided stealing any ideas from Digimon to incorporate onto their Pokemon games unless If I missed something. But thanks for correcting me on that tidbit of Digimon info, I didn't follow the Digimon Anime series religiously like I did with Dragonball Z in the late 90's to mid 2000's but I did the best I could to make my point on what I've heard in regards to the Digimon franchise.

How can anyone not do something that's already been done before. In this day and age almost all original ideas have been done by someone else. Games and franchises with similar ideas and concepts are bound to happen. The mega evolutions are here to provide us with more of a challenge and give our Pokemon new power. Also, it settles down the conflict between the people who want fourth stage evolutions and the people who don't. If it so happens to be similar to a concept in another franchise, then oh well. Mega evolution is simply a way to change the battling system to make it fresh and interesting for others.

Frankly, I'm unsatisfied; I was waiting for the big debut, Nintendo would make, & here it is everyone;

THE ONE that would make or break Pokémon X+Y...

The concept in general, is just bad per se, beginning with Mewtwo...
Is this suppose to be a new way of evolution? Don't expect much more after so much hype.

I am disliking the fact, Nintendo, is making up more evolutions, simply, to be unique with the upcoming release of Pokémon X+Y.

Card Slinger J said:
I get what you're saying now, I just don't like the idea of a crossover between Pokemon and Digimon starting with Gen VI in XY which is what it feels like Game Freak is doing almost. Pokemon has a formula that makes it feel more unique and organic than Digimon where as Digimon's saving grace is the Anime series cause the games for it seem to have really bad quality because of the company that licenses the games for Digimon. Pokemon's lucky cause it's backed by Nintendo...

I agree with you about the diferences between pokemon and digimon, but after thinking about it, the megas are not so much like digimon (except in certain design cues, and even that falls into normal pokemon standards rather than the over-the-top digimon designs). They would be more like dragon ball Z, and the form changes of meloetta and darmanitan (hell, throw castform in there too...) Some megas would be better as true evolutions (mawile and absol), other would be unnecessary (lucario, blaziken, mewtwo), some give a new and necessary twist to older pokemon, making them more viable choices (kangaskhan), and some are fabulous (ampharos!).
All in all, the system has it's quirks, but the information is very scarce for the moment; let's hope GF can handle it well, after all, they haven't really disappointed so far.

One thing I find silly about all this comparing them to digimon nonsense is:

Are they not allowed to have artistic freedom or make them look cooler without people saying "They look like Digimon!"???
I mean it's not really a bad thing?? It means they look more like actual monsters.

TokenDuelist said:
One thing I find silly about all this comparing them to digimon nonsense is:

Are they not allowed to have artistic freedom or make them look cooler without people saying "They look like Digimon!"???
I mean it's not really a bad thing?? It means they look more like actual monsters.

Don't Digimon "Digi Evolve" and pokemon "poke evolve"? After all digimon are digital monster, and I don't remember anywhere saying that pokemon are digital monsters. I only heard pocket monsters. I think some people need to realize the difference. But what can I do? oh well, I am so excited for the mega pokemon. :D

I just thought of something, since there is going to be mega evolutions, how would it affect the trading card game?

Well to be honest it wasn't about the appearance and design of the Pokemon Mega Evolutions in Gen VI that bothered me it was actually based on the method of achieving it which doesn't make sense to me when having permanent evolutions like in Gen IV would've been better even though it would take up slots in the Kalos Pokedex.

Game Freak's basically like, "Oh so you still want to use your old Pokemon with cool Hidden Abilties? Well how about giving them a new evolution with new Types and stat increases that only works during battle with the Mega Stone!" Sounds like it's setting up for some unwanted power creep in competitive battling for Gen VI wouldn't you say? Especially with Blaziken, Lucario, and Mewtwo.

Absol I can understand for not needing a permanent evolution I suppose due to power creep in Base Stats, but Mawile could've at least had a permanent evolution instead of a temporary one while still being a Fairy/Steel Type Pokemon and it would've been just as powerful as it's Mega Evolution counterpart.

Back