Megalo Cannon

ahg3117

Aspiring Trainer
http://pokebeach.com/2013/03/bw9-megalo-cannon
Do you guys find any of these cards playable? it's seems like they're trying to counter plasma pokemon.

I'd say Silver Mirror might be viable, but it will depend on how the meta shapes up. The rest of the anti-Plasma cards aren't worth it imo, mostly because they're Evolved Pokemon which means the opponent can KO them before they can do anything useful and they take up more space if your opponent isn't running any Plasma mons. It doesn't look like a very good set to me tbh. I might be missing some but the only good Pokemon in the set are Genesect, perhaps Virizion, and some will argue Jirachi which I'm not decided on. Notable stuff which I don't think will be good includes Cradily (too much work to set it up and requires you to have a really inconsistent list with all those stage 2s clogging your hand), Azelf/Uxie/Mesprit (3 spots on your bench, 3+ spots in your deck, few things care that much about weakness any more and its easy to disrupt anyway), and Haxorus (can be KOed before you can attack with it easily, and wasted space if they're not running important Plasma mons). I personally think Caitlin is an awful card (my reasoning is in the Future Metagame Speculation thread) and I can't see Iris as more than a 1 of in a very small amount of decks. G-Scope is easily the worst Ace Spec printed. G-Booster I'm not sure about, could be decent, although obviously only in dedicated Genesect decks. Scoop Up Cyclone is a decent card, but most decks aside from Blastoise would probably prefer Scramble Switch because it doesn't return energy to the hand. Kyurem decks will like Silver Bangle I guess and Reversal Trigger is iffy. Aside from that, entire set is trash.

So....less than 10 playable cards in the set. Whee.

Salamencetrainer34 said:
I made a thread like dis yo

haha sorry man I didn't bother I look

Dark Void said:
I'd say Silver Mirror might be viable, but it will depend on how the meta shapes up. The rest of the anti-Plasma cards aren't worth it imo, mostly because they're Evolved Pokemon which means the opponent can KO them before they can do anything useful and they take up more space if your opponent isn't running any Plasma mons. It doesn't look like a very good set to me tbh. I might be missing some but the only good Pokemon in the set are Genesect, perhaps Virizion, and some will argue Jirachi which I'm not decided on. Notable stuff which I don't think will be good includes Cradily (too much work to set it up and requires you to have a really inconsistent list with all those stage 2s clogging your hand), Azelf/Uxie/Mesprit (3 spots on your bench, 3+ spots in your deck, few things are that much about weakness any more and its easy to disrupt anyway), and Haxorus (can be KOed before you can attack with it easily, and wasted space if they're not running important Plasma mons). I personally think Caitlin is an awful card (my reasoning is in the Future Metagame Speculation thread) and I can't see Iris as more than a 1 of in a very small amount of decks. G-Scope is easily the worst Ace Spec printed. G-Booster I'm not sure about, could be decent, although obviously only in dedicated Genesect decks. Scoop Up Cyclone is a decent card, but most decks aside from Blastoise would probably prefer Scramble Switch because it doesn't return energy to the hand. Kyurem decks will like Silver Bangle I guess and Reversal Trigger is iffy. Aside from that, entire set is trash.

So....less than 10 playable cards in the set. Whee.

I honestly think scoop up cyclone is the best trainer cause it will be godly in blastoise Keldeo blastoise. I don't like jirachi dialga and palkia. I think citizen and venesection could work well together for getting off a T2 200 damage (with the ace spec) or a 100 snipe but that's about it

I see quite a few playable cards.

Cradilly: Already been talked about to death, but it gives stage 2s something.
Tropius: Decent counter to Keldeo (assuming that's still a thing) and a good draw engine.
Virizion EX: Built in acceleration from the deck and protection from lasers.
Genesect EX: Built in catcher and a strong, drawback free attack. (not to mention the ace specs)
Eelektross: Amazing with dynamotor. Can be a nasty finisher if you have the energy.
Drifblim: Can basically attack for free if you're facing a plasma deck. And the attack is actually decent.
Sigilyph: Load it up with rocky helmets, giant capes, and eviolites to make it a real pain to KO.
Sawk: Can do 50 for C if you're up against plasma.
Jirachi EX: Level ball --> this --> skyla --> any trainer you need.
Dialga EX: Good with colress machine. Potential first turn 90 with additional mill.
Haxorus: Instantly kills plasma and can do a lot of damage with dragon ax.
Porygon Z: Anything that moves energy around has some potential.
All of the tool cards are good, especially the anti EX one.
Iris is amazing late game.
Caitlin helps with fossils and plasma energy.
Scoop up cyclone: Good with Blastoise/Keldeo
Kyurem EX: 180HP basic with an outrage attack, need I say more?
Suicine: Sigilyph sees play so I don't see why this wouldn't.

I don't think we have anything broken, but we do get some playable cards.

pokedan24 said:
I see quite a few playable cards.

Cradilly: Already been talked about to death, but it gives stage 2s something.
This was just a stroke of brilliance on the part of whoever made it. "They said Stage 2s were inconsistent and therefore bad...so we gave Stage 2s support in the form of the only thing less consistent than them!"
Tropius: Decent counter to Keldeo (assuming that's still a thing) and a good draw engine.
No, it isn't. Keldeo needs 4 energy on it to get KOed, it fires KOs right back, and by then most Keldeo will just be used for the ability. The first attack has been seen on numerous Pokemon over time, none of which have been used. Tornadobro-T's first attack is also imo better and for colorless. Speaking of not Colorless, any deck using Grass energy can use Genesect and have no problem with Keldeo anyway.
Virizion EX: Built in acceleration from the deck and protection from lasers.
Genesect EX: Built in catcher and a strong, drawback free attack. (not to mention the ace specs)
Eelektross: Amazing with dynamotor. Can be a nasty finisher if you have the energy.
Because why have Rayquaza do 80 damage per energy when you can have a stage 2 doing 30 per energy?
Drifblim: Can basically attack for free if you're facing a plasma deck. And the attack is actually decent.
Except decent is not good, and its a stage 1.
Sigilyph: Load it up with rocky helmets, giant capes, and eviolites to make it a real pain to KO.
With the damage cap of most decks out there killing this thing is not a problem, its attack is terrible, and you're wasting a ton of cards on one thing that's not even turning you a benefit.
Sawk: Can do 50 for C if you're up against plasma.
50 damage turn 1 is nothing to write home about with Landorus EX and all the trainer energy accel, and this thing is horrible every other turn, and you can't even decide whether its going to be 50 or 10 regardless of your hand.
Jirachi EX: Level ball --> this --> skyla --> any trainer you need.
Dialga EX: Good with colress machine. Potential first turn 90 with additional mill.
Mill is not useful at all turn 1 in a deck that does not mill as a win condition (see: Durant) so this is inferior to Lugia in terms of doing stuff t1 with double Colress DCE.
Haxorus: Instantly kills plasma and can do a lot of damage with dragon ax.
Except that its a stage 2 and therefore easily killed, and is also a ton of wasted space against any deck not running many/any Plasma mons because the first attack requires you to put 5 energy of a type that has no acceleration on a stage 2 with a dragon weakness. See where this is going?
Porygon Z: Anything that moves energy around has some potential.
Hydreigon is dead now and Klinklang BW is pretty much dead too, its used as a 1 of tech and will surely die if the other Klinklang stops being good. To top it off, Porygon-Z is so much worse than them. He can only move a Colorless Special Energy-meaning you have only 4 energy max that can be moved, no Max Potion schenanigans except on like Mewtwo and Tornadus, etc. etc.
All of the tool cards are good, especially the anti EX one.
I hope you're not counting G-Scope because that thing wouldn't be good if it wasn't an Ace Spec. Which it is.
Iris is amazing late game.
Except that it really isn't. Maybe Darkrai will run 1 or 2 to get an OHKO on an EX late game or an 180 hp EX earlier, but that's it and I'm not sure Darkrai will still be a thing when this is out. The rest of the decks hit 180 easily enough that they don't need this. In addition, this just clogs your hand really badly early and cannot be run in anything with Random Receivers.
Caitlin helps with fossils and plasma energy.
If you think this is a better supporter than Cheren, Bianca, N, and Juniper, I'm done arguing with you.
Scoop up cyclone: Good with Blastoise/Keldeo
Kyurem EX: 180HP basic with an outrage attack, need I say more?
Yes. You do. 180 hp is not very difficult to hit any more and definitely won't be any harder when this comes out, and the decks that can't hit 180 in one turn can just ignore it or hit it with a weak attack first. Have you noticed that nothing with Outrage is good any more?
Suicine: Sigilyph sees play so I don't see why this wouldn't.
Well, Sigilyph hit something good for weakness (Mewtwo) while this hits nothing. Also, Sigilyph does more damage, is level ball searchable, and more decks that do not rely on EXes will be out by the time Suicune is.

I don't think we have anything broken, but we do get some playable cards.

ahg3117 said:
jirachi imo has minimal potential same with dialga and palkia

Palkia is the worst EX that they have printed so far. It doesn't help that the format will also be much more powerful when it comes out than when some of the other ones did so, but even if Palkia has been among the first EXes printed it would not be good. Heck, even if it had been the only EX printed it might not be that good!

My two fav card in Megalo Cannon is the Rare Candy and the Dusknoir to be honest. I don't think it's going to pack as much of a change in meta compared to Thunder Knuckle.
I can see some people putting Genesect in Dark/Hyd for a Black Ballista type of effect

Genesect/Virizion is easily a meta deck. I think Jirachi is underrated, its the 1st Pokemon draw support thats splashable in the format. Suicune is a bit underrated too since its a decent tech for Blastoise decks. I think Kyurem is overrated since Blastoise already has Keledo. Super Scoop Cyclone is good for Blastoise. Cradily is fun but not competitive and the rest of the set is pretty underwhelming.

Basically Blastoise gets more of a boost yet gets destroyed by Genesect match ups. 1 new deck because of this set, overall not a great set but an ok addition to the card pool. At this point Id like to move on to X and Y since im not expecting much out of these newer sets.

Everyone underestimated Jirachi. It's especially strong in either Darkrai or Klinklang. In Klinklang, it can just sit on the bench because of Plasma Steel. In Darkrai, it's a viable alternative to Computer Search for early-game power. Level Ball for jirachi, bench it, search a Skyla, play it, grab Scoop Up Cyclone, use it on Jirachi, Junk Hunt it and something else back. Next turn, use Jirachi to grab a Ghetsis/another Skyla, use it, SUC Jirachi back, Junk Hunt, etc. until you're entirely set up.

However, the only "Better" option in there is random receive, and in klinklang, that isn't reusable. It's the only completely controllable Supporter search we have, aside from the obvious Computer Search, which really doesn't work that well in klinklang. The main reason I'd play Jirachi over Comp. Search in Darkrai is because it's more consistent. You don't need to discard, so you can use it even if you have a hand with nothing you can afford to dump, which is more common in Darkrai's opening turns than you'd think.

But you'll want to discard stuff in Darkrai. You also want to be attacking and not Junk Hunting for the Scoop Up. It would actually be easier to just Junk Hunt for Computer Search. Even if you don't have anything left your hand, you'll Junk Hunt for Computer Search and something else, and then you'll draw for your turn. That's two cards to discard with Computer Search and you could just get a Juniper.

Puff-Sun said:
Everyone underestimated Jirachi. It's especially strong in either Darkrai or Klinklang. In Klinklang, it can just sit on the bench because of Plasma Steel. In Darkrai, it's a viable alternative to Computer Search for early-game power. Level Ball for jirachi, bench it, search a Skyla, play it, grab Scoop Up Cyclone, use it on Jirachi, Junk Hunt it and something else back. Next turn, use Jirachi to grab a Ghetsis/another Skyla, use it, SUC Jirachi back, Junk Hunt, etc. until you're entirely set up.

I m not a meta player, but I think if u need both sableye, jirachi, and ghetsis with skyla for setup (and u r implying u will be using more than 1 or 2 turns), u really need to change just a little your strategy lol. With 13-14 supporters per deck, really, I don't see the need of jirachi. His 90hp makes him 2 free prizes FOR Sure (not even good as a bait), and a bench sitter.
Although, jirachi is needed in this meta, because it really helps the players to build lock decks, since we can pretty much guarantee the turn 1 ghetsis, which makes the game more interesting. Other than that...

Puff-Sun said:
Everyone underestimated Jirachi. It's especially strong in either Darkrai or Klinklang. In Klinklang, it can just sit on the bench because of Plasma Steel. In Darkrai, it's a viable alternative to Computer Search for early-game power.

In klingklang i can see it being pretty decent, but theres always the chance you'll start with it, and in darkrai, one of the nice things about computer search (and I know some may disagree with this) is that you get some dark energy in the discard pile, for dark patches, or you can simply discard 2 items and get them back with junk hunt

First off, Silver Bangle will make a LOT of Rogue Pokemon quite stronger.

Assuming the new Solosis can prevent all attacks and effects (such as Trainer Cards aimed at it) then Reuniclus can finally make a big comeback! More Max Potion healing without any Energy Discard! More technical excellence with "revenge" attacks!

Sawk's Square Kick OHKO's Absol (Plasma) PFZ, and since his attack costs (C) he can be teched into any Deck. He ALSO OHKO's Thundurus EX (Plasma) PFZ when coupled with Silver Bangle + Pluspower or Hypnotoxic Laser.

Machamp can give (F) Decks an advantage in type matchups, especially if Tornadus EX (Plasma) PFZ gains prominence, or Shaymin EX NXD paired with Cofagrigus (Plasma) PFZ. I could also see Machamp paired with Landorus EX pestering the opponent with a dillema: Whether to target Landorus EX, or Machamp for the KO. With Machamp, you could move 4 Energies to him with Energy Switch/ Scramble Switch, and then you could deal big 150 damage with Silver Bangle, and finish off Pokemon Landorus EX's Hammerhead weakened.

One more thing, though! Another Pokemon website translated the Machamp scan, and said that its Ability prevents resistance for any Pokemon with a (F) Energy attached, not just (F) Pokemon. This means that (W) types, like Kyurem EX could bypass Virizion EX's resistance, as long as you gave Kyurem EX an (F) Energy. Mewtwo EX can now attack Darkrai EX without the -20 protection that Darkrai EX normally would have.

Driftblim can defeat Deoxys EX easily.

Of course, there's the titular Genesect EX: If Catcher is kicked out of the next format, then Genesect EX will be a Pokemon with a reliable Catcher effect in his Red Signal Ability! His inherent attack, Megalo Cannon OHKO's Keldeo EX due to weakness, and his own Ace Spec, G-Booster will OHKO just about any Pokemon!

Caitlin offers another Draw Supporter, and so far, she is the most consistent, and conservative, at the same time: You don't have to discard the rest of your hand, you don't have to "lighten" your hand load deliberately, you don't have to depend on board state.

Iris, is another Supporter that doesn't draw cards. This already makes her less popular since Supporters are the primary method of getting fresh cards into the hand. I think we'll only see her in Decks using Magnezone (Plasma) PLS with his Dual Brains Ability.

Another new Ace Spec, Scoop-Up Cyclone, offers healing, and, in Decks that accelerate Energy from the hand, Energy Switching.

Kyurem EX offers devoted Blastoise/Keldeo Decks, to net 180 damage when coupled with Hypnotoxic and Virbank, as well as only requiring (W) and (C) in its attacks!

The Blastoise/Kyurem half (theme?) Deck also includes a marvelous Trainer line! Ultra Ball, Rare, Candy, Catcher, Skyla, Juniper, Bianca, Cheren, Master Ball? Yes, please!

And finally, we'll get Virizion EX, offering Energy acceleration, and protection from Special Conditions! No more Hypnotic combos, no more Deck and Cover Paralysis.

Hmm, that's a lot to think about!

Back