More Exclusive Chinese Alternate Arts Releasing, Including Gold Battle VIP Pass!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Taiwan and Hong Kong are releasing six new “Tactics Decks” on July 19th featuring a Pokemon ex. They will be printed in Simplified Chinese.

Tactics-Decks-Chinese-300x169.jpg

Each Pokemon ex has already released in Japanese and English, but five feature new artwork. This artwork has never been seen anywhere else in the world. If these don’t release in Japan’s Terastal Festival set in December, they would remain Chinese-exclusives.

Meowscarada-ex-Chinese-143x200.jpg

Miraidon-ex-Chinese-143x200.jpg

Gardevoir-ex-Chinese-144x200.jpg

Continue reading...

I could see Garchomp ex and Scizor ex getting into Terastal Festival since the set feels like a celebration of the latter half of the SV era, but the other three exes (Miraidon ex, Gardevoir ex, and Meowscarada ex) will either be shoved into a value product or stay China-exclusive since they’re from the first half of the SV era.

And that gold Battle VIP Pass is deliciously ironic, a friend of mine and chatted about how it never received a Gold Rare print.

Judging by the length of the artist credit, I'm guessing the gold VIP Pass wasn't illustrated by Ryo Ueda like the original. It's a shame he's not contributing to the TCG anymore; I'm fond of his early works. I hope he's doing well.
---
I think it's interesting how aesthetically similar the packaging is to the current western decks. It feels like everything's been steadily converging over the course of the SV era.

Last edited:
I try to have every card for these specific Pokemon in English (minus Miraidon), as they're among my favorites... I hope this make it over here.

it's weird (or maybe promising) that they're using the older, actually good energy designs on the pack for this. maybe someone, somewhere, has realized that basic energy cards have looked absolutely terrible since sun and moon era ended.

With how many exclusive arts and cards that have been printed that we have never/will never get, Pokemon could absolutely make a collector’s set featuring just those lost cards that have been forgotten over the years in English

It's well over a thousand card arts we've never gotten in English at this point. They could do a whole year's worth of sets from that.

Tactics Decks will be printed in Traditional Chinese rather than Simplified Chinese.
And the gold Battle VIP Pass will be printed in Simplified Chinese rather than Traditional Chinese.
Traditional Chinese is the language version used in Taiwan and Hong Kong, and Simplified Chinese is the language version used in China.

Last edited:
As someone who visits China all the time, I will tell you they are definitely doing Pokemon justice in that country. What I like is that nothing is available in big box stores or online, and it's only for LGS's, so the Pokemon scene is authentic and vanilla. There's no scalpers, just a bunch of happy kids with cards in their hands. More importantly, there's never a shortage, it's literally in EVERY LGS store, and what's most fascinating, is that every store has a designated Pokemon person who's job it is to teach people about the game and the Pokemon. There was a guy in a lab coat with the big 151 poster on the wall and a few kids sitting in front of him and he's using a ruler and pointing out each Pokemon and teaching them how to say the English names. I was speechless.

Back