• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

My attempt to recapture my old glory

Pikachu6319

Scooby
This is my attempt at remaking my old Rain Dance deck using current cards.

Pokemon:
4 Totodile
2 Croconaw
4 Feraligatr (Prime)
4 Kyurem
2 Manaphy
1-1 KGL Legend
1-1 SEL Legend

Energy:
12 Water
2 Rescue Energy

Trainer/Supporter:
4 Rare Candy
4 Pokemon Communication
4 Professer Oak's New Theory
3 Pokemon Collector
2 Junk Arm
2 Professor Juniper
2 Switch

Feraligatr gives the Rain boost (Rare Candy and Pokemon Communication are the 'new' Breeder and Trader) as well as good damage, Kyurem (Outrage damage plus Glaciate if I can). Manaphy gives another chance at refreshing the hand. Switch will allow me to choose between my heavy hitters depending on the situation.I also have draw support (Cheren and PONT) and recovery for essential cards (Super Rod and Junk Arm). SEL and KGL help Kyurem with the bench attacks and help set up for the time Feraligatr makes it's 60+ attack if they don't get KO'd on the bench first.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Unless I counted wrong you have 64 cards in this deck?! Anyway what Lugia is it? I'm kinda confused because the only Lugia in HGSS I saw was the legend which requires 3 different types of energy and that wouldn't work in this deck. Is it the promo? That one is HGSS02. It has good moves in my opinion. Are you planning to use Feraligatr as a main attacker or just for Energy? If he's just for the energy benefits then I would run less. One or two Croconaw might be a good idea as well. As for Juniper, I'm not a big fan because you have to discard your hand. I understand the Rod and Junk Arm to get it back, but Super rod puts stuff in your deck, not your hand which could be annoying if you need the card, and Junk Arm has to discard stuff to get your Trainer Item cards back into your hand. Pokémon Communication and Cheren I agree entirely with. Manaphy is pretty good, keep him. I would suggest:
-2 Juniper
-1 Junk Arm
-2 Super Rod
-1 Rare Candy
-1 Poliwhirl/Poliwag
-2 Feraligatr/Totodile (only if just for the energy, if main attacker keep)
+2 Croconaw (only if main attacker)
+3 PONT

I think Professor Oak's New Theory is better than Juniper in most cases because you shuffle your hand, not discard it. Keeping 2 Super Rod is probably a good plan because if your Pokémon get knocked out you'll need a way to make them available again. Junk arm is good to get back Super Rod/ Communication/ Rare Candy to evolve Feraligatr and Politoed.
I hope this helps.

So r u planning to take auto loss to trainer lock but heres a list

-4 lugia
-1 poliwag
-2 manaphy
-2 kyurem
-2 super rod
-2 com
-2 cheren
-4 water

+2 croconaw
+4 rescue energy
+4 collector
+4 pont
+3 catcher
+1 juniper
+1 cleffa

Hope this helps

@9Tailz: You're right, four too many. That would explain the off count going on in my head. I did mean the promo version, I knew Lugia Legend wouldn't work here. Ferligatr can serve as either, so I think I'll keep 4 of them in my deck. You're right though that I should have some Croconaw in the deck just in case, especially since the chance/need might arise to use a Rare Candy for Politoed as well. Your actually right that PONT would help here too, I guess I was thinking too literally with Juniper being a replacement for the old Professor Oak card.

@Pikajew1213: As I stated to above a couple of Croconaw would probably be helpful.Manaphy kind of serves the same point as Cleffa, though I admit not on the same level. But if I can't wake Cleffa up that won't do me much good. I don't really want to get rid of Pokemon Communicator as this is the new Trader, the Collector won't really help with that one. I'll have to look into the Pokemon Catcher, I didn't need it's older equivalent (Gust of Wind) back then but I acknowledge this is a newer environment.

4 rescue is prolly over kill i would go 2 then 2 switch rescue is mainly for attacjers but if your worried about energy ditch switch and put in 2 fisherman

This deck is so Pokemon heavy it's just seems so slow. Relying on Politoad for realiable damage won't get you very far especially when the damage from Kyurem is enough to soften everything with Glaciate for the entire game to be able to set up Gatr prime and go to town with Hydro Crunch which should OHKO everything after just 2 Glaciate. Lugia promo is just a horrible card: 1 {W} for 20 damage and a 4 energy cost attack to MAYBE deal 90 damage. it needs to go. here's a skeleton list of how i would go about doing the pokemon line

4 Kyurem
4-2-3 Feraligatr (2 Prime Gatr / 1 HGSS Gatr)
1-1 Kyogre & Groundon Legend
1 Manaphy

The pokemon line does look slighty baron especially seeing as there are only 8 basic pokemon but it's just a skeleon sample list, you can change it too your liking. Focusing on Kyurem to be the main center point around this deck isn't such a bad idea seeing as it has enough HP to survive a couple of hits and Glaciate is a decent enough attack. 2 Gatr prime is all you would need as you only need 1 on the bench to fuel your {W} pokemon. the 1 HGSS Gatr is just to give you access to more spreaders while giving you a heavy hitter options (4 energy for 80 damage). Kyogre & Groundon Legend again are for for spread damage it can deal, plus it also discards cards from your opponents deck (also known as milling) which can be painful late-game when they need all the resources they can get. What you need now is draw power, search power and recovery (most of which you already have but here are some cards to consider)

Pokemon Collector
Energy Retrieval / Fisherman
Professor Juniper
Switch

Pokemon Collector gives you way to search out basics allowing you to save your communications for searching out your evolution cards. Energy Retrieval/Fisherman are both to retrieve basic energy from the discard pile straight back to your hand. tsis allows you to be able to use Junk Arm to discard {W} energy and be able to retrieve those {W} energy either on the same turn or the next. Fisherman gets 4 basic energy but is a supporter and Energy Retieval gets back 2 energy and is a trainer. Cheren can be switched for Juniper, it's essentially Professor Oak, which is nice is this format as there is a lack of decent draw power. Switch is just to be able to bring things back to the bench that you don't want active.

@X_Empoleon_X: I'll have to think about the HGSS Feraligatr. It would spread damage, though not as well as Kyurem. Feraligatr Prime is better at taking advantage of the after effects of Glaciate as it would do at least 90 damage after Glaciate. However with that idea in mind it does make it wise to put in a couple Switches (which I did) as that way Kyurem can hit with Glaciate and the next turn I switch out Feraligatr Prime to start doing that 90 damage.

I put in a couple Fisherman because it does recover Water better than Super Rod, and I have enough copies of my Pokemon that I don't really need to recover them (plus there is Rescue Energy). The 'extras' can help fuel the two Junk Arms that are in here, maybe just to use Fisherman again.

Kyogre & Groudon Legend might work. The problem I see is that it's attack relies on the energy discarded from the opponents five cards and if all decks are really less energy intensive now than they were in my day I don't know how well that will work though I suppose on average it would do at least as well as Kyurem's Glaciate. What about Entei & Suicune Legend? Being able to strike a (likely unprepared) Benched Pokemon for 100 damage seems pretty good, and because of Feraligatr Prime's effect the two energy cards being returned to hand is practically a non issue. Maybe using both sets of Legends wouldn't be a bad idea?

*Bump*

Would it be a good idea to use both SEL and KGL in this deck, maybe supplement it with a couple of Legend Boxes?

Back