My second attempt at a good team

zCannibal

Destroyer of Worlds
Hello everyone. I have recently become interested in competitive VG battling so I decided to make a team and give it a whirl. I have won a few matches so far on pokemon showdown but I would like to fix any issues before I bother to ev train and farm heart scales in game. But I am really new and I am unaware of any major weaknesses I may have. Any help is appreciated Big Grin

and so onto the pokemans:

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

My main tank and first hazard in one. Generally I will mega evolve and stealth rock. Then curse and proceed to smash things. I went max attack EVs because of advice from the thread and its working so far. I wanted a physical tank for a starter. The fire punch is for type spread.

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Return
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Punch
- Crunch

Another piece of advice from the thread. When I made my first unsucessful team I knew that I wanted to use snorlax. I didn't like the curselax build so I went for the max special D. Thunder punch for type spread, its kind of working out. Crunch for ghost coverage and psychics.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Dazzling Gleam (to deal with fighting I hope)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Foul Play

My spin blocker / min special wall. I recently switched from gourgeist for this position. I find it to come in handy in a pinch most of the time. The hp comes in handy.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U - Turn

My main attacker. Type switching really really comes in handy. Ice beam to handle grass types and what not. switched to U - turn recently its pretty ninja. Dark pulse is also a recent change and I am liking it so far

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect

My spinner and secondary hazard. In an attempt to minimize my ice weakness I switched donphan for him. His bulk is nice for setting up the toxic spikes and I am really liking substitute, It's comming in really handy late game when I need a second to think. I know he can be better on a rain team but I really don't want to turn my team into a weather team.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Brick Break
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

My late game physical sweeper and revenge killer. His damage is nice and I like brick break on pokemon sheadowdown. Fire Fang is nice for the type spread also. Dragon claw instead of draco meteor because it doesn't seem to do as much damage?

Theese changes are looking good but I want to make it the best that I can. But like I said I don't know what to look for in terms of weaknesses and or how to address them. One thing I wonder is if I have too much defense and not enough ability to attack?

any help is much appreciated :D

With Sludge wave on goodra to take out fairies you put Goodra at risk of a moonblast or playrough which could OHKO it even with special EV's plus sludgewave is not a STAB move so it wont do as much damage as you think. You also have a Steel type in Aggron with a steel type move that is Super effective to fairy. On your greninja instead of t-spikes and spikes put in u-turn for on off them. hope this helps!

Im back with some more advice for your team!! haha

Instead of sableye as a spin blocker try Trevenant. He has higher HP and S.Def ], he is still a ghost type(duh) and has a great attack that lets you dish out blows as well. I have used this set-

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 228 HP / 232 SDef / 48 Spd
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Horn Leech
- Shadow Claw

WoW lets you cripple Physical attackers and with leech seed you can set up and proceed to destroy with shadow claw and horn leech that benefit from Trevenant 110 base attack. With Sitrus Berry and harvest you can get HP back instanly if you get low

Also instead of Substitute of Tentacruel try Protect it lets you scout moves better and since Tent isnt a big attacker Substitute isnt that good and maybe try toxic over T-Spikes to try to toxic stall with protect! Im also not sure of M-Aggron as your Tank but i cannot find something better as a lead tank i will continue to look. Hope I've helped!

PS- i do like the changes you made with Snorlax and Greninja

Assuming this is for VGC, you might want to try Phantom Force over Shadow Claw for the higher power and ability to hit through protect.

Yeah sub on tentacruel Isen't too helpful I will definitely switch to protect.

As for trevenant, I like him and have considered him for my spin blocker but my main concern is the grass typing. I used to use an XL gourgeist as my spin blocker and his ice weakness only added to my overall ice weakness. But If I have successfully addressed my ice weakness I may reconsider trevenant over sableye.

Thanks for the advice guys :D

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

Moar suggestions:

For Greninja, you might want to swap out Life Orb for Expert Belt. With the kind of coverage Greninja has, it's better imo.

On Tentacruel, Toxic>Sub.

On Sableye, you want either Foul Play or Night Shade in the attacking spot because Sableye has no offensive stats so it's your only real way to deal damage. Alternatively, you could change your item to Iron Ball/Lagging Tail and put Trick in that spot if you want another way to cripple attackers.

As a general question, why are you using Heavy Slam? It's a pretty terrible move. It's maximum base power is 120, so on Snorlax Return is better because it gets STAB. In general, it's not good because your main attack can be knocked down to 40 base power by almost anything relevant because they only need to be half your weight. Even if they're only a third you have very little offensive power. I'd suggest replacing it with Iron Head. It would also be a good idea to take out Fire Punch for Head Smash and change your ability to Rock Head so you can actually do something if you don't want to mega evolve. Fire Punch really doesn;t help you hit anything relevant.

Back