Need some help coming back...

Luckyfire

Aspiring Trainer
Hi, everyone! I used to play TCG a lot when I was younger, but I guess I played TCG the wrong way. Me and my friends just put a card on the table, compared their HP (the lowest HP loses) and over again, but now I think it's time for me to learn how to actually play TCG for real. Could anyone assist me in TCG? I have lots of cards that are unused. Introduce me, please. :)

Here's what you can do in that regard:

~First thing to keep in mind: The current format for tournaments is HeartGold/SoulSilver and newer. Any sets older than that cannot be used in tournament play (though casual play is fine). The exception would be if a card from an older set has since been reprinted in a legal one. For example, Switch is legal, and I'm pretty sure it always has been. Basic Energy are also always legal, and both have been reprinted countless times.

~You will probably want to find a starter deck at a store somewhere near you (like Target). The best choice would probably be one of the two Next Destinies starter decks - the figureheads are Reshiram (EXplosive Edge) and Zekrom (Voltage VortEX), respectively, and both of those cards are very big right now.

~The starter decks come with a rulebook, some damage counters, burn/poison markers, a coin, and iirc one booster pack. Familiarize yourself with the rulebook; it'll tell you what you need to know.

~Lastly, there's the matter of leagues. A league is a group of people that meet once a week to play the Pokemon TCG, and also hang out and have fun while you're at it. Since pretty much everyone there will play the TCG, you can trade for whatever cards you need; some people do still collect older cards! To find a league near you, use this link.

I had better be the first reply or I may flip.

I would highly recommend getting both the EX Training decks and test them out a few times and choose one of them.
Once you've chosen one of the two, then it's time to finally get in the game.
Right now, try surfing around PokeBeach for articles relating to the TCG and I got a few here to get you started.

The Art of Deckbuilding
This article is targeted mostly on beginners to the game who needs to get a feel of the basic and important concepts that must not be missed and a few tips on consistency, which is one of the key things an excellent deck needs to keep running.

Next Destinies Set Analysis
This article provides in-depth analysis and consideration to a few cards in the latest set, Next Destinies.

The EX Factor
This article that [member] Zorua[/member] provides detailed information about the EXs of Next Destinies. Reading this will help you understand each card's functions and it's potential in the current metagame.

Pre-States Article Run
This is just a map of articles that will be showing their faces soon on the Front Page so stay tuned! These can be very helpful.

Rookie to The Whole Metagame
A thread I started months ago when I was just a rookie myself.
Looking around this thread should help you find out what staples are in the metagame right now.

Plunging Into the Deeper Layer of Deckbuilding Concepts
This thread was something I also started when I needed a little bit of help in deckbuilding myself, though the articles will be more helpful, nevertheless, this should help out a little too.

These links are just suggestions for you. :D If you wanna know more, PM me so we can talk or just surf around the TCG forums and get involved in what's happening.
The places I would suggest looking around first though, is the Metagame Deck Center, New Player's PLaza, Card of the Day an the Deck Garage.

Hope this helped!

Typhlo over.

Back