Neon Genesis Evangelion

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
evangelion.0.jpg
I figure it's time for an Evangelion thread. If you haven't seen NGE, change that. If you have, get in here and discuss, I know quite a few of you guys have seen it. Discuss what you might ask? What isn't there to discuss? How about the ending, the meaning behind the final line, Rebuild 3.33, or just the franchise in general?

RE: This is (Not) a Neon Genesis Evangelion Thread

Yeah, this is probably one of my favorite animes of all time. I saw it at a really young age and it, along with DBZ, got me really interested in anime and manga. I do like the rebuilds (which I need to see again) but the original will always have a special place in my heart, especially The End of Evangelion. You really can't call yourself an anime fan unless you've seen this show.

Oh, Eva, probably the most hotly debated anime during my generation in the anime community. At the beginning of my interest in anime, Evangelion was super-hyped and I watched it the same as anyone from the time who knew what the word "anime" actually meant. It was constantly debated and talked about until later in the 90s when it suddenly became trendy to take the opposing stance of "Eva was never really all that great, I don't see why everyone loves it so much" which started a whole different round of debates.

Honestly, I think it's a fun show and a wonderful gateway into appreciating anime as intelligent storytelling, if you can get past the weird bits. And for anyone who enjoyed it, the original 2 movies are a must.

I haven't seen any of the "new" Rebuild stuff, though. I remembered hearing about it at the time, thinking "oh, that's cool" and then promptly forgetting about. Shame there's still no release info for the last movie, though it'll probably be sometime early-mid 2014 at this rate. Maybe when that's out I can do a whole EVA day (or weekend, more likely) and watch the series, the original movies, and all the Rebuild films.

Artemis said:
Honestly, I think it's a fun show and a wonderful gateway into appreciating anime as intelligent storytelling, if you can get past the weird bits. And for anyone who enjoyed it, the original 2 movies are a must.
Why would Death & Rebirth be a must? It's my understanding that it's just a poorly made rehash that includes nothing that you can't see in the original series and EoE.
I haven't seen any of the "new" Rebuild stuff, though. I remembered hearing about it at the time, thinking "oh, that's cool" and then promptly forgetting about. Shame there's still no release info for the last movie, though it'll probably be sometime early-mid 2014 at this rate. Maybe when that's out I can do a whole EVA day (or weekend, more likely) and watch the series, the original movies, and all the Rebuild films.
Rebuild is alright. It's nice to see NGE in updated visual quality, but I preferred the original's tone, plot, and characterization. Personally, I'd have preferred a new TV series instead of movies because it has more time to flesh everything out. If the reset theory turns out to be true, than I may get my wish.

Cinesra said:
Why would Death & Rebirth be a must? It's my understanding that it's just a poorly made rehash that includes nothing that you can't see in the original series and EoE.

Your "understanding"? Does that mean you haven't watched it? Honestly, that's part of the reason why I think people should watch it, because if you want to really discuss, enjoy, and understand something, you should see the whole thing from all angles. Skipping over D&R and going straight to EoE is fine if all you want to do is rush to the final ending (which I guess isn't even the final ending anymore, or even the final story I guess, with Rebuild and all), but it's not the best way to enjoy the series. And that's why I suggest both films to people who, you know, enjoy it.

While there were some time constraints in the creation of the film, calling it a "poorly made rehash" is pretty unfair. The first half is a retelling of the TV series, but with a film's budget and brevity, and also with some additional scenes, which adds onto the story to help build into a more in-depth ending. The second half is new, and is the second version of the ending of the Evangelion storyline. Later, that ending expanded and filled and that became EoE.

And, yes, I do think that watching the whole thing, in order (read: TV series -> D&R -> EoE (-> Rebuild)) is the best way to watch it because it gives you the best understanding of the story, and the flow of its creation, unfolding, and evolution. The *entire* story is also interesting from a historical perspective in a different way, to see a studio reacting to fan reactions and time/budget constraints (especially interesting considering the history of Gainax in general) and how Eva helped put Gainax on the map.

And, besides, if you really do honestly enjoy something, is it that terrible to watch the characters interacting and the story unfolding in a new and different way? :D

Has adapting a full 26 episode series into a 1-2 hour movie ever worked out well? I don't really see the point in watching it if it has no content I can't see if I just rewatch the series and EoE. I'd watch it if it had new scenes and everything, but to my knowledge there's just some pointless scene of the pilots playing violins. I get that it had what would later become the first half of EoE, but if it's already included in EoE, but with more content(aka the actual ending fans demanded Gainax go back and make for the second time), then why should I watch it?

Some Loser said:
You really can't call yourself an anime fan unless you've seen this show.

I do remember watching some episodes of this Anime on CN's Adult Swim block and much like with Deadman Wonderland it's not my cup of tea however the new Hollywood film Pacific Rim pays an excellent homage to Neon Genesis Evangelion. Mako's character in the film is from what I've heard based on the personalities of both Asuka and Rei from Evangelion.

Card Slinger J said:
I do remember watching some episodes of this Anime on CN's Adult Swim block and much like with Deadman Wonderland it's not my cup of tea however the new Hollywood film Pacific Rim pays an excellent homage to Neon Genesis Evangelion. Mako's character in the film is from what I've heard based on the personalities of both Asuka and Rei from Evangelion.

Pacific Rim is similar to a lot of mech-genre anime, yes, but I still feel that it stands out on it's own and wasn't based on one single anime/manga. And Mako being a combination of Asuka and Rei is actually a pretty accurate description, haha. go see pacific rim ya dingos

And speaking of Toonami, Rebuild 2.22 is airing on Toonami on August 31, for anyone who's interested.

I love the original series and rebuild (the first two at least, I haven't seen Q), but EoE just sucked in my opinion. It was overtly brutal and violent and made very little sense. What'd you guys think of it?

EOE was kind of violent, but the series was, too. Remember when Unit 1 ate an angel? Personally, I liked EOE. It was an actual ending, unlike the last two episodes. It was also great visually and had some of the most memorable scenes of the series. I get the part about it making little sense, but I'm pretty sure I have it figured out after thinking about it for a bit.

Back