New to Pokemon, experienced Magic player. Need assistance with which precons to buy

nardd said:
What deck(s) are you planning on building with one of each good card in those decks? I would have gotten two of one of the SF or RR decks, but idk. What's your plan?

Maybe my post wasnt clear, I bought 2 of each of the decks I listed. So I will have doubles of good cards that are only included as a one of in each of the decks. I found all of the deck lists and did a little text manipulation in Excel ;-) Here is what I now have access to due to me buying doubles of each of the decks. Now I just need to work out what how I am going to merge the cards.

I have also purchased the following from ebay. Extras that I wont use I will give to my gf's nephew.
4x RISING RIVALS - Gengar #40
20x POWER KEEPERS - Warp Energy #95
2x RISING RIVALS - Beedrill #15
2x GREAT ENCOUNTERS IV - Beedrill #13
12x RISING RIVALS - Lucian's Assignment #92
8x RISING RIVALS - SP ENERGY CARD #101
15x RISING RIVALS - Bebe's Search #89
16x RISING RIVALS - Volkner's Philosophy #98
4x PLATINUM - Cyrus's Conspiracy #105
1x SUPREME VICTORS - Palmer's Contribution #139
I'm also looking at -removed- Please don't advertise. -SR on eBay and I have free shipping for anything else I add on.

I plan on trying to work with the first 4 decks to start (with the Pokemon after it as the focus of the deck) and use the last 2 with the "?" after the deck name to supplement the others with any cards that might be usable from them. Any help would be appreciated with suggestions on the first 4 decks...I dont know if the others are even worth messing with.

Drill Point - Flygon
2x Rhyperior 四
2x Flygon
4x Vibrava
8x Trapinch
4x Hippowdon 四
2x Hippowdon
8x Hippopotas
4x Starmie
8x Staryu
8x Aerodactyl GL
4x Potion
4x Switch
2x Aaron's Collection
4x Bebe's Search
4x Felicity's Drawing
4x Volkner's Philosophy
24x Water Energy
24x Fighting Energy

Cutting Edge - Beedrill
2x Gallade 四
2x Beedrill
4x Kakuna
8x Weedle
2x Mr. Mime 四
4x Gengar GL
4x Leafeon
8x Eevee
4x Weezing
8x Koffing
4x Seedot
4x Energy Search
4x Potion
2x Aaron's Collection
4x Lucian's Assignment
4x Mom's Kindness
4x Underground Expedition
22x Grass Energy
26x Psychic Energy

Dark Rampage - Tyranitar
2x Tyranitar
4x Pupitar
8x Larvitar
2x Staraptor
4x Staravia
8x Starly
2x Skuntank
8x Stunky
8x Machop
4x Bagon
4x Energy Search
4x Potion
4x Cynthia's Feelings
4x Energy Switch
4x Great Ball
2x Luxury Ball
26x Basic Dark Energy
22x Fighting Energy

Raging Sea - Gyarados
2x Gyarados
8x Magikarp
2x Sceptile
4x Grovyle
8x Treecko
2x Abomasnow
8x Snover
4x Bibarel
8x Bidoof
4x Finneon
4x Potion
4x Switch
4x Mom's Kindness
4x Energy Switch
4x Dusk Ball
2x Luxury Ball
30x Water Energy
18x Grass Energy

-------------------------------------------

Overflow - ?
2x Milotic C
4x Spiritomb C
2x Roserade C
2x Swampert
4x Marshtomp
8x Mudkip
4x Floatzel
8x Buizel
6x Corphish
6x Croagunk
4x Cynrhia's Feelings
4x Roseanne's Research
2x Night Teleporter
4x Potion
4x Switch
30x Water Energy
18x Psychic Energy

Powerhouse - ?
2x Electivire
8x Electabuzz
2x Ampharos
4x Flaffy
8x Mareep
4x Donphan
8x Phanpy
6x Stantler
2x Electrode
8x Voltorb
4x Professor Oak's Visit
4x Roseanne's Research
4x Plus Power
4x Energy Search
4x Potion
32x Lightning Energy
16x Fighting Energy

RE: New to Pokemon, experienced Magic player. Need assistance with which precons to b

verlorene said:
I am also considering getting the set of 2008 World Championship deck now and the 2009 World Championship decks when they come out. I know these are not tournament legal but I expect to mostly be playing casually and these fully tweaked / tested decks would be a nice change from "work in progress" decks. Are thier any game mechanic difference between the 2008 WC decks and the updated rules (I don't know when these came into effect)?

The difference between 2008 decks to the 2009 decks is that 2008 still allowed 3 EX sets before Diamond & Pearl, while 2009 was Diamond & Pearl on. The 2009 decks are better for you to take a look at because many mechanics from the EX sets were rotated out and also the upcoming year is still running in a Diamond & Pearl on format. Deck construction shouldn't change TOO much from when the 2009 decks are printed.

RE: New to Pokemon, experienced Magic player. Need assistance with which precons to b

nardd said:
Huh. Good observation there man, never picked up on that subtlety, but true for a lot of waters.

Empoleon (water) snipes
Glaceon (ice) spreads with lvX, small snipe
Froslass (ice) spreads
Abomasnow (ice) spreads
Palkia G lvX (water) snipes [also spreads though]
Starmie LA (water) snipes

cool :] obviously not for everything (gyarados is just pure destruction no matter which one you choose) but still interesting.

I think they do this sort of thing with grass types too? And psychic? Bugs tend to status, grass tend to heal/do big damage. Ghost tend to disrupt, psychic tend to be manipulative (alakazam/gardevoir/etc) and poisons tend to, well, poison lol. Or in nidoqueen's case, megaheal.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty neat, too. I'm not sure about the Grass-types thing, though, because there are some Bug-types (Ninjask SV, for example) that heal and some Grass-types that status (Venusaur SV). I think they meshed it all together with Grass.

Back