Discussion Ninjask ROS and Exeggcute

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
So I would like to talk about Ninjask from Roaring Skies. While it doesn't look that great, I feel like it could be a great mill tech when added with Pokémon like Bunnelby. It's ability, Wing Buzz lets you discard a card from your hand to discard the top card of your opponent's deck. This is where Exeggcute would come in with Propagation would come in as it would let you reuse Wing Buzz over and over again. I did make a deck list of this and I may post it later, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought of this idea.

I think one of the main problems many people face with things like Ninjask is that it is difficult to consistently swap it around so you can bring the Pokemon active and thus use the ability. The previous viable mill deck, Durant, could discard 4 cards at a time and were able to survive a decent amount of hits. However, with the amount of 1-hit KOs now, those Durants aren't really that viable anymore. I'd say it's a pretty similar case now with millers. Many get KO'd way too easily and scrape the '4' mill mark, which isn't really a good trade off. Despite that, there are a heck of a lot more draw power now causing more self-mill, so the cards are potentially viable.

I can see that as being a big problem. Still, I think Ninjask as rather decent ability and attack to set up a mill deck. Why I say this that Ninjak's attack don't say you have to have a Nincada on the bench in order to bring out two more. Meaning you may lose one Ninjask, but you'll have two on the bench ready to go. Combine that with things like Super Rod or Sacred Ash, you've got a quick way to cycle this over and over. I think there's a lot of viable options to keep milling going if you can get the right combination down in expanded.

I can see that as being a big problem. Still, I think Ninjask as rather decent ability and attack to set up a mill deck. Why I say this that Ninjak's attack don't say you have to have a Nincada on the bench in order to bring out two more. Meaning you may lose one Ninjask, but you'll have two on the bench ready to go. Combine that with things like Super Rod or Sacred Ash, you've got a quick way to cycle this over and over. I think there's a lot of viable options to keep milling going if you can get the right combination down in expanded.

Still, you only mill around 2 to 3 times a turn with [just] Ninjask, which is probably not enough. However, you're totally right about how Super Rod and Sacred Ash help the deck. Personally, I'd love to see a mill list from you as I'm really curious what you would come up with!

Here's a deck list for expanded I threw up a few days ago, I thought about using Durant as well which would go well with the deck. This is just a general idea I had when I made it. Bunnelby would definitely help this deck vastly as you could just abuse Trick Shovel and Super Rod if you need more cards while using Ninjask to continuously mill cards. I thought about using red card as well in this deck, removing Flare Grunt and Xerosic all together. I haven't tested this out but I feel like this would be a decent deck to try out for sure. Seismitoad EX and Shaymin may seem weird, but I think item lock is a great way to keep your opponent from getting serious momentum in a deck like this. Thankfully, I tend to keep a list of all the decks I make on my tablet with notes and references to make it easy to write out.

The addition of Toad made me think a bit more about it, actually, and it reminds me how I often need to Juniper my resources under item lock so I can actually /do/ something. I'm not sure if that'd be the case here, though, especially if your opponent realises that you don't have KOing power.

Would Keldeo-EX + Float Stone be useful to swap more Ninjask around?

I also noticed that Ultra Ball seems a bit like wasted space, particularly as all your mills are retrieved by Level Ball, and you could just swap Shaymin for Jirachi for maximum potential. Then again, if you have Exeggucute I'd argue if you need that many Level Ball in the first place.

The addition of Toad made me think a bit more about it, actually, and it reminds me how I often need to Juniper my resources under item lock so I can actually /do/ something. I'm not sure if that'd be the case here, though, especially if your opponent realises that you don't have KOing power.

Would Keldeo-EX + Float Stone be useful to swap more Ninjask around?

I also noticed that Ultra Ball seems a bit like wasted space, particularly as all your mills are retrieved by Level Ball, and you could just swap Shaymin for Jirachi for maximum potential. Then again, if you have Exeggucute I'd argue if you need that many Level Ball in the first place.

Ninjask has free retreat so you can retreat them all as much as you'd like, but Keldeo is nice for status conditions.. I realize your opponent would figure out you don't have KO power, but I thought toad would an optional card to have early on if needed for fast decks like M.Rayquaza which can be crippling since now they're relying more on Shaymin and Supporters now at that point which is nice if they're forced to Juniper away their hand for seven more cards.

An interesting option I had thought about was Virizion EX to negate Poison on my low HP Pokémon. Jirachi is another great idea and I honestly prefer Jirachi EX over Shaymin EX.

As far as ultra ball, I can see your point, I could of lowered it to 2 and level ball to 4, hence Jirachi-EX is a better option.

There are quiet a few options you could do to build this deck, I'm just going to have to sit down and test them all.

I was thinking Keldeo-EX as a pivot from Bunnelby to Ninjask instead of having to sacrifice an energy; what do you think?

Virizion is a great idea, imo! I could see poison really wrecking a low-HP mill deck. Keep in mind things like Silent Lab and Wobuffet, however. I think you need an answer to them, especially against Accelgor.

I just looked over the decklist again and I'm really finding that Toad may be a major clunk (?) in the deck. You've got 6 cards for a Toad (DCE + Toad) and Ultra Ball if you count that, all cards that could be replaced for the better. However, would it perhaps be worth going a Vileplume route for mills? It does prevent your opponent from using things like Shaymin which could be beneficial for you, however it does force your opponent to waste resources either through big Junipers or cause your opponent to slow down significantly to allow more mill.

I definitely thought of that too. I put in to consideration on removing most item cards to adding Vileplume in the possibility that it won't be as clunky. The think I'm skeptical about with Vileplume is the card count, to do a 3-3-3 line alone is 12 cards and 6 for two which is a lot a space for the card. Another good idea was using Trevenant, but the problem with that is not evolving first turn. I like Vileplume and Trevenant better since their one card prizes compared to two so it'd be nice to use.

On that bright side is if I do ditch Toad, a 2-2-2 line can be made easily for Vileplume and then I'd remove Hammers for Xerosic. But this issue with Vileplume too is that I'd lose out on Trick Shovel.

That's a really good idea, I didn't think about Bunnelby needing swapped out so that could always be a big help.

Honestly... the four Trick Shovel is one ideal turn of mill. If you consider that Vileplume could net you one or even more turns of mill, then I think it is worth Vileplume over Trick Shovel.

Back