Question Nintendo / Game Freak Officially Done with Pokémon VGC After Sword & Shield?

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
The reason why I brought this up is because I've been recently noticing a shift in behavior with the way Nintendo / Game Freak have been designing Mainline Pokémon games as of late especially with Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl and Legends: Arceus. The fact that the Pokémon you catch in these games can't be used in Sword & Shield until Gen 9 If possible means that only Pokémon that can be transferred over or are available on Sword & Shield are eligible for VGC Tournaments. For those who don't know, VGC Tournaments were a way for Pokémon players to compete in the Mainline video games In-Person at their Local Game Store (LGS) aside from Pokémon TCG similar to Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magic: The Gathering, but when the pandemic occurred it was to some extent discontinued at least in my neck of the woods anyway.

When VGC Tournaments first started back in Gen 4 you didn't have to pay a premium for a Nintendo DS compared to the price of a Nintendo Switch which is only more expensive due to being a Triple A Video Game Console. With the high barrier of entry preventing younger players from being able to compete on the Switch in regards to the Junior and Seniors Divisions compared to Masters who are adults well you get the idea. Of course the National Dex fiasco didn't do any favors for longtime fans either who were disappointed that they couldn't run their favorite Pokémon on their VGC teams anymore. Even though EV/IV training perfect teams are easier than ever with Sword & Shield, fans still hated it due to the Galar region designs among other things.

So what do you think?

Last edited:
Back