Ruling Old original Charizard

ice fire charizard

Aspiring Trainer
I know that nobody uses this card anymore because nobody buys the super-old packs anymore, but i have a little group of friends at school that play pokemon cards and it's not an official group so we can use any cards we want. Of course, one person's deck is full of old cards. i noticed that he has two original charizards and a lot of energies. it also seems that if he were to charge up both charizards with a ton of energy they would both be unstoppable if both out in play.

My question is that shouldn't this card be/is banned? not as a bad thing, though because i can tell it's a great card, but it would seem too powerful to be stopped.

Ok, that was long... and yes, i know this might be in the wrong place, too.

You could always use cards like Super Energy Removal to help get rid of his energy on his Charizards. :) :p Or use a beefy water deck with Blastoise and take advantage of his water weakness.

Charizard Base Set isn't a "great" card at all. You're just being owned because you dont have anything to stop it... Energy removal, Super energy removal, any 'good' water pokemon and fast set up will own it. If he's playing unlimited and you're using modified cards then he has an UBER advantage over you if he's playing trainers like Comp Search, Item Finder, Prof Oak, etc since they absolutely smash anything modified (cause all modified trainers suck compared to Base set).

Just stall with baby pokemon + Focus Band, stall with status conditions or sacrifice fossils while you power something good up on the bench. I don't know what you're playing and don't care too much so if you want deck help then go to the Garage and people can probably fix it up for you. Charizard Base Set shouldn't be banned at all since it's not a great card, there are a STACK of better things out there which should be banned but arent. The fact that it needs 4 energy to attack, and it discards 2 to do 100 damage is enough time to kill it.

I dont know why you said it was a great card.
Back to the old time, it was a very great card at all.
A simple blastoise with pokemon breeder and prof. oak will just smash it in no time,we still have many other great cards that have to be ban.

I have the solution. Play Fire vs Fire --- This card isnt realy Fire but is one of ways to knockout Charizard in a OHKO !!! try get the Blastoise Crystal Guardians Theme deck and then ... Play in booster packs to try getting the Charizar it takes 120 in a bunch and discard 2 energys for that. Tunder Delta Charizard !!!

you want to kill a base set charizard? try the Riptide combo [ feraligatr, trash exchange, misty's wrath]

Base set charizard is not a good card in today's standard. It was good at that time but many cards can counter it, i really don't understand y u have trouble with that card :p.

Well I can understand you having trouble if you are using the old cards. I was in a simular problem where I had my old cards from years ago (just base,jungle, and fossil) and my neighbor had all new cards. tell me how fair THAT was. It wasn't fair at first but I became stubborn and wouldn't buy new cards. I eventually did because I got tired of losing. The thing with Charizard (I have an original too) it to not let it get powered up. like mentioned above use energy removals. they should work exceptionally well since Charizard has to discard energies to use that attack. use a water pokemon (gyarados from the base set should be perfect if you have it) (Articuno from the fossil deck would also be good as it can do damage to bench pokemon and that would weaken soon-to-be Charizards. Its attack damage is also good.) I'm trying to give examples of older pokemon since they are what you have to work with. everyone else here are mentioning cards you probably never heard of. I got some new cards and they help me out tremendously. Feel free to pm me with any further questions if you'd like. sorry for the length of this.

Back