Orthworm from ‘Snow Hazard’!

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Orthworm has been revealed from SV2P Snow Hazard! The set will release in Japan on April 14th.
The cards from Triplet BeatSnow Hazard, and Clay Burst will combine to form our Paldea Evolved set on June 9th.
Orthworm – Metal – HP130
Basic Pokemon
Ability: Nutritional Iron
If this Pokemon has 3 or more [M] Energy attached, it gets +100 HP.

[C][C][C][C] Shoot Through: 100 damage. This attack also does 30 damage to 1 of...

Continue reading...

what a funny card. I'd say a decent backup attacker in Magnezone decks, as a 230 hp tank that gives up only one prize is pretty cool. Survives 3(!) Cramorant shots too. Unfortunately its missing an extra 10 from the attack.

Reactions: Bid
Oh god so goood! My favorite mon from new generation. I thought he will get ex as his first card but this is much much better. If he would have better attack I would play him in magnezone deck. 11/10 <3

This is good game design on this card. You have a basic pokemon with all on collorless energy attack cost. Allowing it to be splashable in energy acceleration decks to hit for weakness. 30 damage snipe allowing a higher skill sealing of the card and gives it ocasional purpuse outside of weakness. The ability incentivises you to build a deck around this. 230 HP aint that bad. But not anoyingly huge.

Overal the card wont see succes in standard without a deck that has a high volume metal energy acceleration deck. Such as Magnezone. And even then, you might not see it being succesful.

But this should be decent in high power cubes and 1 prize formats. Altough, it might not be too good in GLC with the limited volume of energies being accelerated per turn.

Love the trainer gallary art

I want to see more cards with this kind of card design.

Be me playing new Orthworm
Take around 130 dmg, but no big deal
BigHP.jpg
Opponent plays klefki
Switched it to active spot
Mfw my wormy dies to a set of keys
:’(

Orthworm - sad that Klefki exists tho. Even tho it wasn't the requirements and the energy acceleration for M decks are bad. Magnezone is a Stage 2, so I won't consider it. Even if you use the ability you still gonna pull * sighs* 2 energy, it isn't enough. The attack is bad tho, let that sink in. 2-3

Be me playing new Orthworm
Take around 130 dmg, but no big deal
BigHP.jpg
Opponent plays klefki
Switched it to active spot
Mfw my wormy dies to a set of keys
:’(
Yeah and with Alakazam attacking from bench it won’t last long

This is good game design on this card. You have a basic pokemon with all on collorless energy attack cost. Allowing it to be splashable in energy acceleration decks to hit for weakness. 30 damage snipe allowing a higher skill sealing of the card and gives it ocasional purpuse outside of weakness. The ability incentivises you to build a deck around this. 230 HP aint that bad. But not anoyingly huge.

Overal the card wont see succes in standard without a deck that has a high volume metal energy acceleration deck. Such as Magnezone. And even then, you might not see it being succesful.

But this should be decent in high power cubes and 1 prize formats. Altough, it might not be too good in GLC with the limited volume of energies being accelerated per turn.

GLC with limited volume of energies being accelerated per turn. You don't play metal glc right?

Metal has Magnezone that can attach any metal energies from hand. Bronzong - with either metal links metal energy from discard, or move energy. Klinklang with move energies. Mount coronent metal saucer

Orthworm - sad that Klefki exists tho. Even tho it wasn't the requirements and the energy acceleration for M decks are bad. Magnezone is a Stage 2, so I won't consider it. Even if you use the ability you still gonna pull * sighs* 2 energy, it isn't enough. The attack is bad tho, let that sink in. 2-3
I know being a stage 2 puts limits on the deck, but several people in Japan (and now the United States) are playing Dialga/Magnezone (with a Miraidon and the new Lightning type Magnezone). It’s win rates on play.limitless.tcg’s online deck database are also pretty convincing, and outrank Oinkologne, which has a 41% win rate despite receiving plenty of hype on TCGPLAYER’s articles program. It’s individual matchups are where it’s viability gets questionable. It has over 60% win rates against the “novelty decks,” a 45% win rate against Lost Box, and under 25% matchup against Mew VMAX and Lugia VSTAR. So it’s E Block matchups are its primary struggle (since Lugia is coasting on the Single Strike Engine). It’s the ninth most played deck right now, too. My guess is that it’ll become a powerful contender after rotation (the 2024 rotation, that is). As for right now, it’s matchups are polarized, but it’s not the worst.
That being said, no, you're right, two Energy isn't enough to help Orthworm reliably attack once per turn. This card will be a fun addition to GLC, and, to a lesser extent, prerelease (?), but in standard, it's not likely to get much farther than use as a one-off tech. It's nice to see the thought put into this card, however. Maybe I'll be making a Metal type Gym Leader Challenge deck some day?

Last edited:

You know that GLC uses the Expanded card pool, right?

Back