Paradox Pokemon Cards and Return of ACE SPEC Mechanic Revealed at Worlds!

Reading that anti-evolved thing on Iron Bundle already made me sigh...
This games power creep to mostly try to stay at basic is just showing again.
Maybe I'm just old, but I'd love to see an absolute full stop to the power gallop and them releasing only underwhelming sets that will form a new start for the game.
That's the reason I loved gen 5's early meta. The only 2-prizers were legends, and most meta decks at the time consisted of 1/2 stage mons...

And then they added EX's.

About brute bonnet:

If booster energy is like the VG and is discarded after one use, then paldean closure ex won't be supplanted by anything better here...

Scream Tail:

Saguaro increases the max damage to 260, but Damage pump is also an option to move an odd counter to allow ST to reach the magic 130 for the 260...

Back to sleep...
160 snipe is great to Saguaro would be worse choice. Also u prob could do a single prize deck without gardy with Tina n stadiums , only issue is 2 energy

HOLY, and I mean this sincerely, BAN LIST, BATMAN
Nah. Deck's got too many issues from what happens if youre ever tool locked (Banette, Lysandre Labs and Goodra can kinda make u just die) to defensive things like Espeon VMAX, Toedscruel ex, Big Parasol, Wash [W] Energy, etc.

3 energy is a very workable cost and yea ohkoing everything is pog but I don't think it is going to be OP or anything.

Scream Tail - can someone explain? That's just weak spread, yo! 3
Brute Bonnet - Ancient Booster Energy Capsule, Poisons both active, yeah. We've seen those abilities and nothing special. 3
Iron Bundle - OMG! Ridiculous card! I'm gonna play it as a 1-of. You know that I'll be excited for it. 5
Iron Moth - we've seen this on Cinderace before. It ain't good considering having the lamest atk to support with. 3
Roaring Moon ex - Dark Patch, Moltres for few months, easy to pull off. I love this card. 5
Iron Valiant ex - aside from a deck on it's own, Lost Box might use this a damage snipe pivot. Screw Hawlucha atm. 5 Geodudes.
scream tail will specifically serve as a snipe attacker in gardevoir ex decks, which is something the deck doesn't have. with no bravery charm, being able to do a 160 snipe (with 4 psychic energy attached) is really good. add on a bravery charm to do a 240 snipe makes the card reach pretty ridiculous numbers.

i really could see this being just as useful of a single-prize attacker as brainwave gardevoir, because of how ridiculous its damage stacking on the bench could get.

Thats how past and future Pokemon should have been, with specific arquetypes; not sure why they drop the Domphans so early and without any kind of special feature, I think that most people dont have even realized they exist due how mediocre and lackluster they are... And now they are out of the archetypes which make it worse for them

Future looks to be related to move pokemons
Delibird move the Pokemon of the rival
Volcarona get any energy it want when it moves from bench to active
Gallade make damage when it moves as well

But Ancient doenst look to have any specific theme...
In the game, they are unveiled as regular pokemon with titan powers first. Only once you unlock Area Zero do you discover the concept of paradoxmons. So thematically it makes perfect sense

Hahahaha yeah.... Heres to hoping with ace spec returns they take interest in the format again though

Not the most broken thing especially in recent memory... tinachomp dialga, some of the stall decks and item locks that have been concocted in recent tourneys too just make traditional attacking decks really fall flat

Would still be quite fun to play

Ace Specs is a cool concept that was executed poorly the last time around. The challenge here, as it is usually the case with mechanics that involve having just one copy of a type of card in your deck, is making different cards that are useful for a vast array of different decks, instead of just making Comp Search and having 99% of decks run that one card because it's obviously better than any other gimmick-y card on the same class of Ace cards. Hope they do it right this time.

Also wish paradox was something more exciting and fresher than just "this gen's label X label mechanic". It's very boring at this point.

Last edited:
Nah. Expanded is already full of basic Pokemon that can OHKO things with 300+ HP with high consistency.

Volcarona V already pretty much OHKO's everything including things with over 300 HP, also as a basic 2 prizer, and it does so extremely consistently off a 1 energy attack.

Fusion Strike Meloetta Turbo also does the same as the above, but on a 1 prizer (albeit with 2 prize liabilities on the bench) and is highly consistent in back to back full power attacks thanks to Special Charge and Dimension Valley, and of course the Power Tablets.

Tsareena V also OHKO's anything thanks to things like Sky Field and Distortion Door Giratina and Propogation Exeggcute.

Miraidon ex has Electopowers to further boost its power to OHKO 300+ HP things, but also Thunder Mountain and Tapu Koko Prism Star to make it easy to attack first turn going second, and Vikavolt V to mess with single prize decks.

Have you seen Lost Box in Expanded? The speed at which they power up Amazing Rayquaza and Amazing Raikou is insane.

ADP Dragonite/Zacian also beats this deck if they go second.

And those are just some of the most consistent ones, you also got ones like the Electrode GX degenerate decks that use Giratina & Garchomp + Dialga VSTAR + Cyrus Prism Star OR the Alolan Raichu with Reversal Energy variant, to wipe out your entire board on their second turn... or Blacephalon which is a single prize basic attacker that can match the above decks, just it is a bit less consistent. Lugia VSTAR is one of the slower decks, but is also even stronger than it was at full power in Standard, and has 4 aurora and 4 rainbow energies to work with its single prize powerhouses. And that's just the more aggressive decks and not the slow burn ones like Ultra Necrozma or control decks.

I'm not convinced Roaring Moon ex will be a top 10 deck in Expanded.

Thats how past and future Pokemon should have been, with specific arquetypes; not sure why they drop the Domphans so early and without any kind of special feature, I think that most people dont have even realized they exist due how mediocre and lackluster they are... And now they are out of the archetypes which make it worse for them

Future looks to be related to move pokemons
Delibird move the Pokemon of the rival
Volcarona get any energy it want when it moves from bench to active
Gallade make damage when it moves as well

But Ancient doenst look to have any specific theme...
My two guess as to why the donphans came out early are:

1. They’re the first ones encountered in the video game as part of Arven’s story dealing with the 5 titan pokemon. 3 now have an ex (the donphans, Klawf, and Bombirdier), so we may get an ex of Tatsugiri and Orthworm down the line.

2. Design process change, maybe they were just going to be regular ex Pokemon until they decided to switch it up and give them special mechanics/cards supporting them since they’re the most “unique” aspect of this last gen. You can’t really do something like Team Plasma specific cards because the “evil team” in this game is technically just a bunch of students playing hooky in a wannabe gang, and there’s nothing like the fighting island in swsh to build off of either.

Back