Pet Peeves - PTCGO?

I don't usually have a problem with concessions, I just take the free win. Sometimes I concede myself, but I usually give the person enough time to do things (assuming they are working on a quest).

I don't usually have a problem with concessions, I just take the free win. Sometimes I concede myself, but I usually give the person enough time to do things (assuming they are working on a quest).

That last bit is the key; enough folks don't seem to do that (and are vocal about how they don't) that it can grate on others nerves. So seriously, thanks for doing that as this is the big reason it gets annoying; when you want to concede, especially on the KO challenge, you can draw/end turn and your opponent can rapidfire out the remaining KOs. Damage Challenge is almost as fast for most decks, and while the Evo Challenge is time consuming, your five minutes might save your opponent 50 minutes.

I will point out in most cases it ain't a free win. Most concede because they are already losing, so the "win" was really already mine (or yours when the concede to you). It might save you a bit of time, but almost as often it doesn't; plenty of people are quitting a split second before my final attack connects, or only avoiding the last turn or two of play. That is ignoring how I might be less worried about an in game win that could be totally meaningless: the Ladder points only matter when they have earned you a reward so there is plenty of room for someone like me who rarely finishes anymore to be between rewards. So any one surrender is pretty unrewarding; it takes a lot of them, enough to push you finishing one Reward Ladder place higher to count. If I make it all the way to the 1670 point reward, then 22 surrenders to opponents who had no "Advantage" over me and were going to lose anyway doesn't get me much.

Even factoring in the time savings in many cases; if the game was going that badly that it would be done in 10 minutes, me going first and my opponent conceding only after their opening draw confirms a bad hand already took about five minutes, and they'd lose anyway in another two to three. ;) Still, the reason the rewards are important in the first place is because people are here to play. There are easier ways to enjoy "just winning". If I am a Spike I am trying to prove and improve myself through playing and winning; that doesn't happen when my opponent's concede. If I am a Johnny I am trying to come up with clever combos and new uses for cards; I may not even be able to complete my Theorymon (let alone enjoy it working) if people constantly concede when it has a shot. Even if I am a Timmy who just enjoys using his favorite Pokémon... I am not actually using them when my opponent concedes, am I? :(

Again though @DatSonicAce just you giving a few rounds past where you'd quit solves most of that. Pokémon is not typically a slow game.

Last edited:
Back