'Phantom Gate' Scans and Translations! [9/10]

Dark Espeon, the cards text is what makes it balanced. It's based on how badly you're losing. If you're neck in neck you're talking one or two cards and at that point it's Maintainence without the card draw, much beyond two prize cards and it may not even matter. If you're winning then you have a basically useless card in your hand unless you somehow discard it. Not that it really matters I suppose since it will probably never be made.

You know, looking at Aegislash EX I kind of wish we had a metal version of Blastoise's Deluge/Emboar's Inferno Fandango. A Steel Empoleon would be a good one for it, which we haven't seen since DP Stormfront and its previous forms could have attacks that are colorless like we had with Base Set Charmander/Charmeleon. Combine that with the BW Klingklang's 'energy' transfer, it would make a very cool deck, a metal version of what Blastoise/Keldeo EX can do. It would kind of be bad after the reception we've seen from the new Flare cards but I think if we're going to have trainers that can attach to hinder a Pokemon, there should be one that can count as Special Energy for abilities like Aegislash EX's.

None of that changes the fact I wish we had gotten ghost versions of the Aegislash line in a set that is supposed to be somewhat based around ghosts.

You know, while most of the pokemon art is amazing, that Florges EX (non full art) is creepy. (full art is cool though).

I think Aegislash EX has a lot of potential. Good enough attack to work in Bronzong decks, annoying enough ability to find use outside of it (mainly hit and run decks).

I have some additional thoughts on some other cards that I didn't mention in my other overview, but now that all cards have leaked, let's take a look:

Venomoth: Could be interesting in a lock deck that uses Garbodor, Hypnotoxic Laser, Vs Seeker, and Lysandre's Last Resort as a way of Poisoning your opponent, removing their abilities, and effectively shutting down their Trainers. Probably really hard to pull off, but considering the success of Malamar/Sableye, who knows...

Pachirisu: It changes your opponent's Weakness, so with Life Dew, you could drop it down, alter a Landorus-EX, then go to town with Heliolisk. Not amazing, but still cool.

Gliscor: With Machamp, Strong Energy, Muscle Band, and Fighting Stadium in the format, Gliscor actually looks pretty good. It can Lock an opponent quite easily, and might work well against Energy acceleration decks, like Blastoise.

Heatran: Steel Shelter, Heatran, and Bronzong could round out to be good! 80 or 130 per turn with acceleration isn't bad for a basic...

Blissey: Could be a fun combo with Victini and Dugtrio or Cacturne, but is too risky and costly to be otherwise competitive.

Skarmory: Yea, as far as promos go, I'm only mentioning this card because of how much I freaking love Skarmory. It's not amazing. Nothing flashy whatsoever. But I like Skarmory, so that's why I'm mentioning him here.

I think Mew/Dimensional valley is going to be the big deck coming out of this set. It's a combo that lets you take any attack and reduce the cost by one. The one that sticks out is Manectric and it's Mega. Doing 60-120 or 110 plus energy acceleration for one energy is ridiculous even by this format's standards. Mew covers the threat Lucario poses for the deck and a Beartic line could protect you against Landorus.

pokedan24 said:
I think Mew/Dimensional valley is going to be the big deck coming out of this set. It's a combo that lets you take any attack and reduce the cost by one. The one that sticks out is Manectric and it's Mega. Doing 60-120 or 110 plus energy acceleration for one energy is ridiculous even by this format's standards. Mew covers the threat Lucario poses for the deck and a Beartic line could protect you against Landorus.

In general it sounds nice but Mew Ex has low HP and can he ohkoed back with ease.

Anyone else think Yanmega is kind of cool? It has free retreat, shuffle and draw attack, and a colorless attack that can do 100. Not to mention an interesting activation condition. Aside from being a potential Pyroar counter, it destroys Seismatoad EX. That alone puts it a step above standard set filler.

Frost said:
I would just be happy if they gave Trainers to all of the RS, BW and XY Gym Leaders eventually, full art or not. They obviously did all of the Kanto ones in Gym Heroes/Challenge, and we got Johto and Sinnoh representation via VS and Rising Rivals, but they've only picked a select few Unova and Kalos Gym Leaders and have never done the Hoenn ones, which is actually a bit surprising considering how long the Gen III TCG sets lasted.

Finally possibly getting a Hoenn gym leader set was one of the reason I was wanting game remakes before BW2, but then when never even got an Unova one so I have little hope. (Hell I was still holding on hope right up to Plasma Blast for a world tournament set)

I can't imagine why RR/SV were the last "owned Pokemon" ones

Anyone else want to speculate on what the extra cards in the English set are going to be? All of the Hyper Metal Chain Deck cards are probably a given, which would put the set at 106 cards (not including secret rares). This means that we're going to get 13 more cards in the set that are probably Japanese promos (the English set is out of 119).

The list I put together is this (it's possible I missed some):

Grenina XY-P ?? (dark type)

Hand Scope XY-P 27
Goodra XY-P 31
Darkrai XY-P 37
Binacle XY-P 49
Meowstic XY-P 41
Enhanced Hammer XY-P 46
Foul Play Coin XY-P 47
Diancie XY-P 53
Klefki XY-P 57
Carbink XY-P 58
Pangoro XY-P 59 (fighting type)
Hawlucha XY-P 65
Ditto XY-P 77

And possibly Diancie EX and Mega Diancie EX too; they're suppose to come out in Japan in November though, so I'm not counting on it. It seems like Pokemon is going to start release EX and Mega EX boxes, so to go along with Metagross, they'll probably do one for Diancie and Absol.

Shiny Mega Gengar EX is also a possibility, especially consider that we're getting the game promo with him too. I can't remember if they announced how many EXs we're getting in our set already though.

The cards I'm pretty sure that'll be in the set are:

Enhanced Hammer
Hand Scope
Foul Play Coin
Diancie XY-P 53 (there's a Diancie on our packaging after all)
Ditto XY-P 77 (has the ectoplasm on the card)

After those 5 though, I think the rest are pretty much up in the air. Darkrai, Klefki, and Carbink probably have a decent chance of being in the set, since they don't require evolutions (and I don't think Pokemon prints just evolutions without pre-evolutions in the same set).

I guess it's also possible that we could see some other cards that Japan doesn't even have. I think this was the case with Chandalure EX and Excadrill EX in Legendary Treasures, but I wouldn't expect it with this kind of set.

What do everyone else think?

blackbeltdude said:
Anyone else want to speculate on what the extra cards in the English set are going to be? All of the Hyper Metal Chain Deck cards are probably a given, which would put the set at 106 cards (not including secret rares). This means that we're going to get 13 more cards in the set that are probably Japanese promos (the English set is out of 119).

possibly Diancie EX and Mega Diancie EX too

Shiny Mega Gengar EX is also a possibility

I guess it's also possible that we could see some other cards that Japan doesn't even have. I think this was the case with Chandalure EX and Excadrill EX in Legendary Treasures, but I wouldn't expect it with this kind of set.
I seriously doubt we will see cards that Japan hasn't, plus Japan did get Excadrill EX and Chandelure EX in their Legendary Treasures (called EX Battle Boost there) so I'm not sure what you mean by that.
blackbeltdude said:
The list I put together is this (it's possible I missed some):
Grenina XY-P ?? (dark type)
Hand Scope XY-P 27
Goodra XY-P 31
Darkrai XY-P 37
Binacle XY-P 49
Meowstic XY-P 41
Enhanced Hammer XY-P 46
Foul Play Coin XY-P 47
Diancie XY-P 53
Klefki XY-P 57
Carbink XY-P 58
Pangoro XY-P 59 (fighting type)
Hawlucha XY-P 65
Ditto XY-P 77
Greninja, Goodra, Meowstic, and Pangoro are unlikely due to them having pre-evolutions, and once again, I doubt they will print pre-evolution cards that Japan doesn't have.
Diancie has to be in our set, it's on the pack.
99% sure Ditto will be in there too, as it is a Promo for Phantom Gate. Will probably be our pre-release too.
Hand Scope, Enhanced Hammer, and Foul Play Coin are very likely, I don't think they would leave us behind on trainers.
Also, remember that it is confirmed that we have the Japanese promo for Gengar Spirit Link in our set.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY, am I the only one that remebers that it is confirmed that we are getting 7 EXs in this set. Phantom Gate only has 6, so we WILL be getting another EX.
It's possible that it could be Diancie EX, but we for sure won't be getting the mega because its confirmed that this set only has 2 megas, and also Mega Diancie would be on the pack instead of normal Diancie. Also, once again, I doubt we will get it before Japan.
My best bet is Gallade EX. It is coming to Japan in October, and Phantom Forces comes out in November.

We will not get M. Diancie EX in this set. The release info has said there are only two megas. We might get Diancie EX though. I'm sure though that at least one Diancie will be the same one that came out when Japan released Cocoon of Destruction, which is where Yveltal and Xerneas came from which will be battle deck next...month I think. I suppose it could be Gallade EX but I wouldn't be surprised to see this EX come out in a product the same way Garchomp EX and Krookodile EX did.

We won't see the dark Greninja in this set unless they release a psychic Delphox and a fighting Chestnaugt soon, and maybe not even in this set since they have no pre evolutions. I do want this card though.

I doubt we'll see Goodra or Pangoro in this set since they don't have any of their pre evolutions here though as I think there actually is a promo of Goomy too. I was actually hoping for the fighting Pangoro in Furious Fists, it would have made a perfect set for it. Meowstick probably won't be here either but I believe it will be a promo card for Phantom Forces like the Shiftry is, they haven't revealed the other three pack promo and nothing has been revealed for the checklane blisters.

Blackbeltdude, you left out the fairy Dedenne, and I hope we get this in the set or as a promo card.

Unless they make Shiny M. Gengar EX a secret rare I doubt we'll see it here. But it too could be a promo just like the M. Metagross EX apparently will be...and I don't think Japan has gotten this or Metagross EX yet.

Pikachu6319 said:
I doubt we'll see Goodra or Pangoro in this set since they don't have any of their pre evolutions here though as I think there actually is a promo of Goomy too.

The Goodra line would be possible since there are promo versions of the entire evolution line in Japan.

I didn't know that they had a promo Sliggoo. That's neat. In that case since dragons kind of get let down in Phantom Forces I want this line in the set then,

Wigglytuff said:
My best bet is Gallade EX. It is coming to Japan in October, and Phantom Forces comes out in November.

While people are spectulating that it's going to be a box promo, Phantom Forces makes the most sense, as Furious Fists has Lucario and Hawlucha, 2 Fighting Types, so it would make sense for Phantom Forces to have Gengar and Gallade.

Diancie won't be happening guys. ORAS doesn't release until the 21st, anyway.

Japanese Rising Fist had only Lucario EX. Hawlucha EX was put in something special for them, just like it's preceeding Charizard EX (our Flashfire one that didn't get a FA) and it's successors in the Hyper Metal Chain Deck (Aegislash EX and Dialga EX) which we already know will be in our Phantom Forces set.

Gallade EX has two previous examples, Garchomp EX and Krookodile EX. Both of those came in box sets, and Krookodile EX released in Japan the same way that Gallade EX is going to be released in Japan. Although it would be unique since Japan won't get it until the end of November they none the less will be getting a Diancie EX and M. Diancie EX in a special release, and for all we know we could actually get Diancie EX first. Also the other possiblity is a box for both of them just like Metagross EX and M. Metagross EX which Japan has yet to get as far I know, the odds of at least one of these being a box release here is pretty good.

That being said, we can't rule out the chance that Gallade EX could be our last Phantom Forces EX too.

Well we know that we are getting 7 EXs

Our only options are Diancie EX or Gallade EX. I seriously doubt that we will get Diancie before Japan, and while a Gallade collection seems like it could happen, it is more likely that we will recieve Gallade EX

Unless of course Japan reveals a new EX Promo within the next 2 months, in which case we could get that instead

Well technically they have, Absol EX. But I don't know when exactly they get released to Japan so that puts us in the same situation as with Diancie EX/M. Diance EX so it's not too likely.

Also unlikely but possible is maybe Metagross EX. The Metagross collection cards are supposed to be shiny, so maybe the set will have a regular Metagross EX. Don't know how we'd get the regular M. Metagross EX though since we know the set only has two megas.

Wigglytuff said:
I seriously doubt we will see cards that Japan hasn't, plus Japan did get Excadrill EX and Chandelure EX in their Legendary Treasures (called EX Battle Boost there) so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Ah, I think I just mis-recalled an article saying that those two EXs were new to the set (while all the other ones were just reprints; the context made it sound like it was just new in general). No biggie. :p

Pikachu6319 said:
Blackbeltdude, you left out the fairy Dedenne, and I hope we get this in the set or as a promo card.

Yup, forgot about him! He also seems pretty plausible. Another card I forgot is a reprint of energy retrieval; I don't think we've seen that one yet, but Japan has a promo of it.

As far as the extra EX that we're suppose to be getting, it seems that the precedent has always been with the special "battle decks" that Japan does. Usually whatever EX cards are in there, find their way into our sets. Other than Metal Chain though, I don't know what other cards would qualify here. They could of course not follow that convention, and include a different EX promo, but I'm not sure why they would.

Just cause Diancie is on the packaging, doesn't mean that it'll be the EX version, especially considering that they'd leave the Mega Evolution out...

Looking at the other TCG products, I'm expecting:

Mega Diancie Premium Collection
Mega Absol Premium Collection
Gallade EX Box (just like Garchomp, Charizard, and Kronkadile)

And then maybe they'll do something special for the Shiny Gengar promo? Possibly a box, but I wouldn't hold it past them to do a Mega Gengar Premium Collection there too (a Gengar reprint with new artwork is all they'd need). This is the set that they SHOULD include it in, but if there's only going to be 2 Mega evolutions, then I guess it's not going to be in it.

So of the cards we know right now, I guess Gallade is the only one that seems the most plausible? I wonder if it's possible that the press release confirming 7 EXs was mistaken? If not, then maybe it is Diancie EX, and the TCG will start to do Mega Evolution products?

Makes me wonder when/how they decide what cards make it into the English release of the sets.

pokedan24 said:
Anyone else think Yanmega is kind of cool? It has free retreat, shuffle and draw attack, and a colorless attack that can do 100. Not to mention an interesting activation condition. Aside from being a potential Pyroar counter, it destroys Seismatoad EX. That alone puts it a step above standard set filler.
I think Yanmega is pretty sweet, it could probably be a great partner to another Pokemon that has a free retreat, or is a fairy type (to use fairy garden on).

Yanmega could be a nice tech; they'll probably make it a non-holo rare for our set. I do wish it's attack wasn't for 3 energy though, but with the right energy accelerator it could work out really well.

I've also been thinking some more about what that last EX card in our set could be:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/xy-phantom-forces/explore-and-watch/

Considering how they've worded everything, and stated what the "new" EX cards are, it leads me to believe one of the following:

1. It's an error of a statement, and we're only getting 6 EXs.

or

2. We're actually getting a reprint of an EX that we've already had or have in the format. We have gotten reprints of cards before Japan does, so it isn't unheard of.

Out of all the EXs in the format now, the only one I think they'd want to reprint and keep around longer is Mewtwo, especially considering that we haven't gotten his Mega Evolutions yet, and considering that he's so popular. In fact, Japan did get a BEAMS Mewtwo EX promo a year ago, so maybe we'll get that alternate art?

Either way, all that direct and upfront language on that page leads me to think it's something kinda tricky (like a reprint), or just an error.

Not a single Pokemon released after Legendary Treasures can inflict a burn status... I wonder if TPC is just scrapping the effect... I can't blame them, though. It's probably the worst Status Condition right now, as it's entirely luck based, and outside of Volcarona from Dark Explorers(Which saw little play, FYI), had no support, as compared to Poison, which gets help from Dragalge, Hypnotoxic Laser, and Virbank City Gym.

Back