Fun Platinum Playthrough!

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
So, I've been thinking of picking Platinum back up for a spin, and I figured it'd be way more fun if I could share it with y'all! Which brings us to...

Our team! I was thinking you guys could pick my team and decide what nicknames they get. And that brings us to our theme: the site! Every single member of my team will be named after somebody from the site. The only thing I have already decided from the get-go is that @Turtwig will star as my starter Pokémon, Chimchar Turtwig.

These updates would be very light, kinda like Athena did back in the day, but without nearly as much emphasis on a narrative, it would be more like my notes on what went down and some humour, something easily digested in, say, 10 minutes or less.

Would people be interested in this? Suggestions, comments?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Great! Would also appreciate you reviewing the game itself and just highlighting your thoughts of things you remembered as good or bad.
Will definitely follow :]

also it might be a nice suggestion to make minimal grinding to see how hard the game is and also comparing things in the game to the modern main series games like Sword and Shield.

Mora

Don't Panic
Would be awkward if this was a nuzlock, and you had to start releasing Turtwig, Athena, etc...

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
Great! Would also appreciate you reviewing the game itself and just highlighting your thoughts of things you remembered as good or bad.
Will definitely follow :]

also it might be a nice suggestion to make minimal grinding to see how hard the game is and also comparing things in the game to the modern main series games like Sword and Shield.
Of course! I haven't played in a while so it'd be nice to also talk about how I remembered it. As for not grinding, I can definitely do that. :p
Well, you totally have to name someone after me now.
Of course! We'll see what Pokémon I end up with and we can go from there.
Pls put Staraptor.
I will be very sad if it turns out I don't get to.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
Would be awkward if this was a nuzlock, and you had to start releasing Turtwig, Athena, etc...
Lol, at least Turtwig would be grateful to get a little break.

There's been quite a few responses already, which is great! So since you didn't get to choose the starter, here's the next best thing: what should we call our rival?

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
Lol, at least Turtwig would be grateful to get a little break.

There's been quite a few responses already, which is great! So since you didn't get to choose the starter, here's the next best thing: what should we call our rival?

r4ng3r - After the Discord bot? lol I have no clue.
I bet others can come up with something witty.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
This sounds interesting! I wouldn't mind seeing someone else's Platinum experience honestly and your thoughts on it much like @scattered mind suggested. I don't know how well I'd be able to provide any names/insight based on the theme of this site since there's probably tons of discord in-jokes I'm not aware of, lol, but I do still want to see how this goes.

Do you have any ideas of what Pokemon you'd be using besides the starter? There's so many to choose from that are great choices.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
This sounds interesting! I wouldn't mind seeing someone else's Platinum experience honestly and your thoughts on it much like @scattered mind suggested. I don't know how well I'd be able to provide any names/insight based on the theme of this site since there's probably tons of discord in-jokes I'm not aware of, lol, but I do still want to see how this goes.

Do you have any ideas of what Pokemon you'd be using besides the starter? There's so many to choose from that are great choices.
If it makes you feel better, I haven't been part of the discord for a long time either, you're fine. :p

Staraptor was already suggested, but other than that I haven't played the game in so long I don't really remember many encounters after the early stages. I don't really have many ideas beyond, like, Luxray. I know I used one of Alakazam/Machamp/Gengar because wireless trading in the past, but those aren't really an option now.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
If it makes you feel better, I haven't been part of the discord for a long time either, you're fine. :p

Staraptor was already suggested, but other than that I haven't played the game in so long I don't really remember many encounters after the early stages. I don't really have many ideas beyond, like, Luxray. I know I used one of Alakazam/Machamp/Gengar because wireless trading in the past, but those aren't really an option now.

Oh I know that's a real issue with the trade evolution Pokemon.. So many good options you can no longer use unless you have another console or a nearby friend with a console. This situation kinda forces you pull an Ash with these types of pokemon and just leave them unevolved. I just kinda pretend that their evolution does not exist, which can work if their non evolved form is already good like Kadabra and Haunter imo. But yeah, mostly you just avoid these. It is actually a main issue in HGSS where SO many gen 2 Pokemon are trade evolutions.

Am I the only one who thinks that Staraptor and Luxray are the too obvious choices? Maybe use them but try to let people decide each time you catch a Pokemon you like on whether to add it to your team instead of whichever Pokemon or not.

edit: I hope we are really hyping you to do this playthrough and not pressuring you in case you become busy and realize this was not a good idea lol

Scoop

Literally a sheep

There's no way you can trade then I assume? I was going to suggest Scizor with Technician (it makes Rock Smash really useful along with the convenience of having that HM move at your disposal) but if you can't do any trading then there's still a ton of options, such as some of my favorites:

-Togekiss with Serene Grace, obtained as a Togepi in an egg from Cynthia. I don't know if Serene Grace is guaranteed but you could always save and then keep trying for it. Air Slash/Psychic/Aura Sphere is a ridiculously good moveset. Although you're already likely going to use Staraptor so this might just be a throwaway suggestion.

-Garchomp, with Gible available from the cave under Cycling road. There's not a lot to say about Garchomp other than it being ridiculously good, lol.

-Roserade is a fun attacker from what I remember- I used it in a nuzlocke once though he died before I could really get a good feel for him.

-Weavile is a fantastic Pokemon against Cynthia since it's faster than Garchomp and has Ice Punch available to tutor.

-Toxicroak is a fun typing, albeit a little slow.

-Gastrodon is a weird choice but I think I remember having some good fun with him.

-Magnezone is a cool alternative to Luxray with an added Steel typing, though there's a fight with a certain Gyarados that uses Earthquake that you'll have to watch out for.

That's just scratching the surface really. There's a TON of options for good Pokemon that don't require trading that can all be really fun. (and I'm sure I haven't even used some of the more fun ones either)

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Simply nickname your HM slave as "HM slave" :D

If you make YouTube video of your gameplay, provide me a link and I will watch it!