Please help a completely new player

MeadowBubble

Louise. Loo. Luez.
Hiya everyone! I am new to this whole pokemon thing and would really appreciate some help. xD How would you suggest I begin to learn how to play? What would be a good deck to start with? Thanks so much.

MeadowBubble said:
Hiya everyone! I am new to this whole pokemon thing and would really appreciate some help. xD How would you suggest I begin to learn how to play? What would be a good deck to start with? Thanks so much.

I would start out with a theme deck. Yes they aren't that good at all, but they give you a starting point. Not only do they include 60 playable cards you need for a deck, they include rules, damage counters, and a playmat. They run pretty cheap to, 12 - 16$. I think they are a great starting point, because you can build off the deck and modify it. They usually include some good starter pokemon, trainers, supporters, stadiums, so on.

To learn to play you should go to the pokemon home page to watch their videos on how to play and check out youtube for videos as well. As far as what deck to start with... Get one of the new theme decks from Next Destinies. They come with Reshiram or Zekrom depending on which one you buy. You can get them at Walmart or Target (maybe even toys-r-us). Good luck.

You could also go to the TCGO and play some of the ALs and do the training simulator.

In addition to the above, you could also begin by finding a league near you. Leagues meet on average once per week for a few hours or so, and it's basically a TCG get-together. People will be able to help you with the game, give you tips, and of course trade for the cards they need.

It's definitely a good social experience, and a great way to get in the swing of things (and be in the know about upcoming events as well).

Back