XY Pokémon X / Y Capture Rates and Mechanics

Croinks

Aspiring Trainer
I've come to the conclusion that slightly shaking your Nintendo 3DS back and forth is possible to catch Pokémon without fail. I'm still not sure of it, but I've been trying this method for quite a while and it seems to work every time.

This is how it works; I don't recommend trying this, unless you want to risk in a rare case of breaking/damaging your 3DS.

You've encountered a wild Pokémon. You can lower it's health if you want, it shouldn't really matter (as far as I know). Throw any type of Poké ball (I only throw basic Poké balls) and start rocking your 3DS back and forth slightly as soon as the Pokémon is placed into the Poké ball in the animation. One thing to keep in mind is that you can't rock your 3DS too far back/forward or suddenly go a little faster/slower - stay at the same pace until the Pokémon is caught.

As I said earlier, I'm still not sure of this. I've only tested it out a few times for the past week and it works every time I try.

I wanted to make a thread to see if it works for anyone else.

*[mod]Drohn[/mod]: I changed the title of this thread to allow a broader discussion than one speculated mechanic. *

RE: Shaking your 3DS to catch Pokémon?

'back and forth'

Side to side or up and down?

Did you try to capture big level Pokemon?
like in Pokemon villege?
Did you try that in one area or many routs ?

Whitefire said:
'back and forth'

Side to side or up and down?

Up and down-ish. The top of the 3ds goes back, the bottom goes forward.

scattered mind said:
Did you try to capture big level Pokemon?
like in Pokemon villege?
Did you try that in one area or many routs ?

I've tried levels all around, in many routes. Most of the time I try this if I can't catch a Pokémon at all, so I start tilting my 3ds back and forth as soon as the Pokémon is put into another Poké ball and it seems to work.

edit: I also use a lot of different level Pokémon, some the same level and some quite a bit higher. It seems to work on both.

Never in the history of the Pokemon franchise has there ever been a secret "thing" that a person can do to catch a Pokemon other than hope the odds are in his favor.

inb4 hunger games
inb4 critical capture
inb4 op can't inb4

Recommending that the OP records data on Balls Used VS Captures for both a still and shaking 3DS, otherwise the claims are meaningless.

bacon said:
Recommending that the OP records data on Balls Used VS Captures for both a still and shaking 3DS, otherwise the claims are meaningless.

That is why the OP is asking for other players to test and see if we're getting the same results, I see no where in this post where he/she is claiming that this method 100% works for everyone. I've used 25 Ultra balls trying to catch a Poke' once and I then used a PokeBall because I ran out of Ultra balls and the PokeBall caught it, theres so much strange stuff going on with X and Y anything is possible.

I don't believe it.
When I was a kid I used to think spamming the A button worked.
It's all nonsense haha.

mega safariblade said:
I don't believe it.
It's all nonsense haha.

I've read Poke' articles about holding down A and turning the direction pad to the direction of which the ball tilts enhanced catching chance in the older games. I've also heard of clicking the A button like crazy worked as well, LOL.

It's all rumors though, but anything is still possible until it is denied or confirmed.

Ah, well, thanks for all your help with the answers guys. Like I said, I wasn't 100% sure of this and I'm aware that I might have caught them even if I didn't try it. It only seemed a little strange when I was trying to catch a Pokémon but as soon as I try doing this method I catch it without fail.
When I think about it, it does sound a little strange to shake a 3DS to catch a Pokémon. Although for the past 10 minutes, I've been trying to catch a few Pokémon to fill up my Pokédex and this has failed a few times.

I guess it was all just another thought like pressing A rapidly to catch a Pokémon when I was younger.

Once again, thanks for taking a look and helping out.

PokeChimpo said:
It's all rumors though, but anything is still possible until it is denied or confirmed.

Guys I don't recommend doing this unless you want a broken 3DS faster and they are not cheap like the DSLs XD.:)

Each generation seems to spawn some new theroies of how to catch Pokemon.

The one most popular in my group of friends was holding down on the control pad and B together at the sane time as soon as the Pokeball closed... I never had any luck with this however.

If you notice, every Nao and then, the pokeball will only shake once and catch the pokemon. It had happened on multiple occasions for me.

That's known as a Critical Capture I think. A new feature introduced this generation.

I don't know what effects the chances of this happening, but I think I read if the your Pokemon in battle has high PokeAmie stats, then the chances of a Critical Capture are increased. I'm not for certain though.

Wailady said:
That's known as a Critical Capture I think. A new feature introduced this generation.

I don't know what effects the chances of this happening, but I think I read if the your Pokemon in battle has high PokeAmie stats, then the chances of a Critical Capture are increased. I'm not for certain though.

*last generation

But yeah, don't shake your 3DS. It won't work

I think I can confirm that this doesn't really work. I've tried it a lot in all directions and only had 1 capture, however, I was using a Repeat Ball.

RE: Shaking Your 3DS to Catch Pokémon?

Critical Capture came out in 5th gen but I have not seen it work for me in my X version though. I thought maybe they took it out or something. Does this only work with Poke balls? I use Ultra Balls for my Pokemon XD.:)

mega safariblade said:
I don't believe it.
It's all nonsense haha.

HAH! I used to mash the B button in Pokémon Silver!

Sometimes it worked! But it was all a coincidence...

EDIT: Critical Captures are still in and I actually have pretty good luck with them. Although I have had 3 of them fail on Legendaries and wild pokemon with full health.

Back