XY Pokémon X / Y Capture Rates and Mechanics

Mewtwo is a catch rate of 3. Just because you happened to catch it with only a couple Ultra Balls does not mean a catch rate is really high.

How do you guys know it is a 3? Do you mean 70% catch rate?:)

I heard that the more pokemon you have registered as caught, the more chance there is of getting a critical capture. That's the criteria for white 2 anyway. I've caught over 400 pokemon so far on y and i get them fairly often so seems to work for me :) also, having a capture rate of 3 is basically having a capture rate of 0.4%. And it's the same percentage for all legendaries. I think some people just got lucky. Took me ages to catch mewtwo but i cuaght yvetal on my first try with one quick ball, fall health. It's all down to luck i guess...

I have caught almost all my pokemon on first try in my Y(my only escapees are those that came while I had less than three poke balls left). I don't know why, but I do know of the oldest trick in the capture book that people used to mention to refer to how they caught pokemon in the old safari zone, where the "rock, bait, ball, run" menu is seen: the A-button-and-timing trick... May not be known to work now, but given my luck by mashing A with timing, I'm not so sure how to explain it in terms of whether or not it still works... But until people discover, in their perspective, that it works for them, I'll take it with a salt grain and not recommend or deny that it works while leaning towards trying it to exercise my hands, although it may not work in terms of actually catching it...

cardgjammer said:
I have caught almost all my pokemon on first try in my Y(my only escapees are those that came while I had less than three poke balls left). I don't know why, but I do know of the oldest trick in the capture book that people used to mention to refer to how they caught pokemon in the old safari zone, where the "rock, bait, ball, run" menu is seen: the A-button-and-timing trick... May not be known to work now, but given my luck by mashing A with timing, I'm not so sure how to explain it in terms of whether or not it still works... But until people discover, in their perspective, that it works for them, I'll take it with a salt grain and not recommend or deny that it works while leaning towards trying it to exercise my hands, although it may not work in terms of actually catching it...

Many people have tried to argue that pressing A at certain times, or mashing B, or performing some complex trick with buttons will lead to a higher capture rate. The fact is, there is absolutely zero evidence to suggest this in the games' coding. It doesn't work. If you do succeed with this method, it is simply because you got lucky. Remember the classic psychology statement: correlation does not prove causation. Just because something you do correlates to a high catch rate, does not prove that it works that way.

As I said before, some legendaries (Reshiram, Zekrom, POSSIBLY Yveltal and Xerneas) have a higher catch rate simply for story reasons. Yveltal and Xerneas are possibilities, but no fan site (that I know of) has managed to calculate the catch rates for them yet, since no one has hacked the games in this way yet.

xxashxx, if you want to look up specific catch rates, there is a certain site that shall not be named that specializes in specific data from games...not sure why we aren't allowed to mention it, since Pokebeach doesn't have any resources that compete with said site on that level.

Ok for one thing I`m not trolling hacking or boosting. Two seriously I get the punctuation thing already Ok I`ve fixed that (not to sound rude here). Three like i said I`ve caught all legendary s that are part of the story line sense emerald.The only ones so far I`ve used the master ball on is Latias/Latios in emerald can not let it get away for the 100th time, Mesprit in Diamond and Pearl again 100th time heck no, and Mewtwo in Y I was just like Ok don't care at that moment plus he had KO-ed 5 out of my 6 pokemon by that point anyway. So like i said above am I really lucky or just talented at when knowing when to throw out a poke`ball?

You're just really lucky. I generally have bad luck with catching legendaries. Takes usually ~40 balls for me to catch any of them. Ho-Oh in Crystal version was the one that usually took ~60 - 70 balls to catch each try. Even with a status condition tacked on (usually sleep or paralysis)

Very interesting find with the 3DS rocking comments, I'll try it out from now on. Many thanks!

Back