PokeBeach Turns 20 Years Old!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I opened PokeBeach to the public 20 years ago today — on July 15th, 2003!
I was 14 and about to enter high school with my new dial-up laptop. MySpace, Facebook, YouTube, and smartphones didn’t exist yet.
Pokemon was dead in the U.S., forcing Nintendo to take back the TCG license from Wizards of the Coast. The Pokemon websites I worked at since the Red & Blue days had shut down due to inactivity. Pokemon Leagues in California were extinct. Pokemon merchandise was no longer in stores. Kids in school didn’t care about Pokemon anymore. If you openly liked Pokemon, your peers made fun of you.
Being a shy (and closeted) kid, it was hard for me to relate to other people. It was through Pokemon I bonded with my peers. Without it, I felt like I lost part of my voice...

Continue reading...

Congrats! This website has meant a lot to me for a very long time (joined in 2013), and even when not playing Pokemon, it's been my go-to website when I just want to have fun. Thank you for everything!

Congrats! I visit the site almost daily, just to keep up with the Pokemon TCG, and I don't know how I would be as knowledgeable as I am about the TCG without PokeBeach. Once again, congratulations!

Congrats WPM! Sticking it out on the Internet for this long is definitely an achievement! (Source: person who is an admin at a majorly outdated and dormant Pokemon site.) My favorite memory of Pokebeach is how, whenever a new expansion was released, I used to practically live in the card scans section back when that existed.

Pokemon wasn't literally dead in 2002-2003 since RS did bring new kids into the franchise, but the fad stage for older fans was definitely over. For people who started during Gen 1, if there were ever a time where it was considered uncool to publically like Pokemon, it was around the time WPM started the site.

Happy anniversary, man! I've been checking this place out since the mid-00s for Pokémon news on a more-or-less daily basis, so it's sweet that it's still going strong after all this time!

Congratulations on 20 years!!

Happy Anniversary!!

I have been using Pokebeach to keep updated on set reveals, leaks and everything to do with the Pokemon Tcg since I got back into the game around the start of Sun and Moon Era.

I was really worried when the site got hacked and everything was lost. I am so glad that WPM didn't call it quits there.

I'll just wait patiently for Chimecho3000 to come and one-up me as one of the very few people who've been here longer than me, but it feels pretty good having been here since January 2006 (my user ID is 166, as in the 166th person to sign up for the forums when they opened). It has definitely been quite a ride - I've been involved with just about every aspect of the site, whether up front as a forum moderator or behind the scenes working on different projects for the site.

Always a pleasure to work with you, Jon - congrats on 20 successful years. Here's to 20 more.

I've been diving here in an out over the past decade or so ever since the Noble Victories days, but as a fellow old-timer that grew up in the days of PokeMania-seeing the US premiere the anime with the SS Anne two parter on UPN for some reason, watching The First Movie when it released at his local Movies 8, going through school during that awkward time Pokemon cards were banned.....and all the things we have seen with the franchise since those days, I appreciate your service for making a place to gab about the TCG.

For people who started during Gen 1, if there were ever a time where it was considered uncool to publically like Pokemon, it was around the time WPM started the site.
No I don't think so. Because I was in Highschool during this period, and no one in highschool gave a shit what you liked. At least where I grew up in Mississippi.

Back