Pokemon and Safety (please sticky)

This thread might have been relevant and had a point 8 years ago. Now, it's a joke. 80% of people don't even know that Pokémon still exists and people still buy the stuff... Nobody would commit murder over it now. Let's get real here.

Weird. So the motive was actually get Pokemon cards, and not mug someone to sell stuff at a Pawn shop? I can't believe that to be honest.

Arcanine out.

Actually, I'd say this topic would be better suited for a Yu-Gi-Oh forum if anywhere. Let's face it, Pokemon just isn't what it used to be. I can't see anybody but an absolute nut gunning down (or using any act of violence for that matter) a kid to get his cards for whatever reason. At most they'd try and be sneaky and steal them. But even that's less common now, it will in fact happen if you're showing off too much, brought too many cards to keep track of, just aren't paying attention, or are at a large event and well, aren't watching your things. It's not as likely to happen at your local league, but who's to say it won't.

The reason I'd say this topic would be better suited for YGO is because, well, I've seen more than my fair share of mishaps over YGO at my local leagues and tournaments. Everything from fist fights, to people throwing lemonade in other people's eyes, to parents going wild, to mall security almost doing a strip search. I'll grant you, it can get crazy, but even with Yu-Gi-Oh, I've never seen someone fatally injured for their cards. Maybe, it’s happened at an East LA league or something but isn’t really a common happening any more.

Bottom line, that stuff isn’t really true for today, but you should always exercise caution, and don’t be bringing binders that can’t fit in a backpack or every card you own, and keep a watch over your things. Just some decks, and maybe a small trade binder is all you’re going to need. ;)

Yea, pokemon tcg aren't as famous and popular as it used to be. And..... I don't kill people for cards anymore :D.

It would be more likely to happen with yu-gi-oh because I go past all of the schools in my area and most of the time they are playing that game. As pokemon is less popular people are less likely to know the value of the cards now. But if you were showing off something from one of the first sets they might be more tempted as they would probably recognise the card more. Even then they would probably steal it instead of kill somebody.

Check it out, I googled the subject and l@@k what I found.

"Omiya Police announced on March 5th that a local boy attempted to kill several classmates over Pokemon related schoolyard taunting.

The thirteen year old student at South Omiya Junior High School in Saitama City and injured several classmates using a Japanese sword. According to police, the day before he injured them, the child was insulted by 6 classmates including boys whom he tried to kill. They reportedly likened him to a Pokemon character.

Following the incident, the child confessed " I'm Killing them" to police. The sword came from the child's own home, where his grandfather used it as decoration."

@Woody: o_O. So he attacked his Classmate's because they found it Childish?

pokeblader said:
i hope i need to protec my cards

i rather Protect myself then my Cards

No, I think he looked like a pokemon and was made fun of bcoz of it. Thats why he attacked the other kids. Not card related but still pokemon related

Woody said:
Check it out, I googled the subject and l@@k what I found.

"Omiya Police announced on March 5th that a local boy attempted to kill several classmates over Pokemon related schoolyard taunting.

The thirteen year old student at South Omiya Junior High School in Saitama City and injured several classmates using a Japanese sword. According to police, the day before he injured them, the child was insulted by 6 classmates including boys whom he tried to kill. They reportedly likened him to a Pokemon character.

Following the incident, the child confessed " I'm Killing them" to police. The sword came from the child's own home, where his grandfather used it as decoration."

March 5th of this year? And was this in America??

Its not a joke. Some kid is dead because he had rare pokemon cards and some one wanted to make some money. Think about it. We are all kids walking around with 100's and 1000's of dollers. It's just like carrying around a whole bunch of jewlery.

I know its not. That seriously is a real story I copyed and pasted. I'm not mocking it by any means.

Saitama City is in Japan. This happened a couple years ago.

Just don't walk around with them, or at least don't make it obvious you're carrying around such valuable cards. That's common sense, but yes it does happen a lot sadly (with valuable items, not common with trading cards I believe).

Although, you're more likely to get mugged than actually get killed. Let's not scare everyone.

Back