Pokemon Pokemon In GO Have IV's?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Apparently, yes! As funny as it may sound, even though this game lacks so much regarding competitive battles, they still bothered with IV's. There is even a fan made IV calculator for Pokemon GO

What do you think about that? Is there a chance we will get an actual competitive Pokemon GO metagame?
Will you use this to your battles versus gyms? Or do you think it is just not unnecessary?

At least it's just a 1-15 range instead of the 0-31 IV range that the main games use.

But as far as creating an actual competitive scene for GO is concerned, I doubt it. If one is created it would probably be in the form of player and team rankings (like Kingdom Hearts Unchained Chi) based on how many Gyms you've taken over/controlled during a 1-week period, but it would have to deal with the bot programs and GPS spoofing programs that have popped up and will continue to pop up.

At least it's just a 1-15 range instead of the 0-31 IV range that the main games use.
Random fact: The IV mechanics in Gen 1 Pokémon games (Red; Blue; Yellow) worked on a scale from 1–15. Gen 2 also had this, and I believe it's how Shinies were calculated in game––not through the trainer IDs, but rather through IVs. The fact that it works this way in GO is probably yet another throwback to the Gen 1 games.

Anyways, while I think this feature is unneeded at first, it makes sense for how Pokémon would evolve. After all, there'd have to be some sort of formula to determine how the CP of a Pokémon changes upon evolution. I think it definitely helps for taking over Gyms, as it helps players know what to evolve and think evolving their Pidgey through instead of just going for the highest CP Pidgey with terrible IVs, resulting in a really bad Pidgeot in the end, but a competitive scene is extremely unlikely as Gyms are taken over every ten seconds (making results hard to track) and I feel the game isn't built to support such a scene mechanics-wise.

EDIT: Apparently typing in "S¥STEM" makes a link?

The IV's might also play a part on how Eevee evolves as well.

I'm also doubtful about a competitive scene in Pokemon Go as I don't see how rapidly tapping the screen to attack would translate into a competitive scene. I guess we'll have to wait until we get PVP in the game to see how a meta could pan out, that is if the game doesn't completely kill itself beforehand.

I like using the silphroad site better since it gives you more exact readings of your pokemon's IV where the site the op posted just gives a percentage of how good/bad it could be. Of course you have to know the pokemon's exact level to get exact results but that's easy to figure out.

Back