Pokemon Pokemon is expensive!

i dont spend many on pokemon TCG... i did it alot when i was 6-11 years old... well sometimes i get one free on 5th of december.. then there is a big holiday in holland! then i get sometimes a box with some pokemon TCG inside... i have buy alot of pluches... but not this year!... so the last years is spend i think around 40-45 euro on pokemon xD this year i only bought pokemon black and thats it xD

@Ophie: I Googled Serra Avatar and got results between $10 and $20. I don't know if I found a standard price.

@Amish: Wow. Azelf is broken in MtG, now isn't it?
Although I do agree that printing Pokemon Catcher was ridiculous. If anything, why not reprint Gust of Wind? It's got a perfectly identical effect but now we all have to waste money getting them, while our old Base Set cards (well, most of them anyway) continue to collect dust.

DNA said:
@Ophie: I Googled Serra Avatar and got results between $10 and $20. I don't know if I found a standard price.

Although I do agree that printing Pokemon Catcher was ridiculous. If anything, why not reprint Gust of Wind? It's got a perfectly identical effect but now we all have to waste money getting them, while our old Base Set cards (well, most of them anyway) continue to collect dust.

I still use base set cards in my decks at times, even some gen 1 and 2 stuff. ;3
Some of my old cards still see quite a bit of play <3 Unlimited/Casual play is where I feel I have the most fun/interesting battles because let's face it - It's fun having old cards, you paid for em, why not use em? Non-competitive decks could topple even the most competitive if mixed with older cards, yet have a fair advantage against decks using older cards as well- if they aren't made competitive, but really, that shouldn't be the point of unlimited anyway.

Ehhh... I'd say ~$2100 (These are all approximations)
Battle Road Fall Gas: $45
Cities Gas + GA Marathon Hotels for 6 nights $500
States Gas $15
Regionals Gas + 2 Night Hotel $120
Battle Roads Spring Gas: $45
Nationals Gas + 3 Nights Hotel $270
Worlds Plane Ticket + 4 Nights Hotel $900

1 Box of each set per year $300 total for 4 boxes
Last minute needed card(probably like once a year) $30

If anyone wants to know this comes out to $2225

IDK the actual amount, but so far this season (11-12), it'll be a high number. So far:

Nationals rooms + Gas + Food = ~$1000
Regionals rooms + Gas + Food = ~$300
Preleases x8 or so = ~$200

I still don't have States or other gas. Those will probably be up there too.

DNA said:

Wow, Serra Avatar has really gone down in price. Back when he got it, everyone in the school who played Magic was impressed he managed to acquire one. I think it sold for about $250 back then.

Also, pretty much any Pokémon is broken if you put it in Magic as damage is dealt in tens in Pokémon but in ones in Magic. The B.F.M. joke card is one of the handful of cards in Magic's existence to be able to stand up to Pokémon.

(And then there's Yu-Gi-Oh!, which works in hundreds. Digimon sometimes does too.)

Nevertheless, anything becomes expensive when you get to playing it at a competitive level, even if it's just travel and lodging expenses. Look at archery, for instance. $100 gets you a little metal stick you put on your bow to adjust your aim. It's not even special metal or anything--you just fit it on the bow, whose average price for competitive quality is around $2000.

I spend more than I should... :)

I know that the pack prices have gone up since Noble Victories (from $3.98 to $4.18 at Wal Marts) so this will make things tighter for me in the future.. Unless I sell my DC Universe figure collection, then I can out that $$ aside and use it to get future releases.

Cyber Bishop said:
I spend more than I should... :)

I know that the pack prices have gone up since Noble Victories (from $3.98 to $4.18 at Wal Marts) so this will make things tighter for me in the future.. Unless I sell my DC Universe figure collection, then I can out that $$ aside and use it to get future releases.

The American dollar isn't too far off from the Canadian dollar. Despite this, canadians pay $5-$6

Long story short: That's starting to even it out.

Assuming I do my normal weakly routine, around $500 (US). It is slowly sloping down though since I've won 100 packs of Noble Victoies.

It used to be anywhere from $200-$250 a year, but since then I have toned it down quite a bit to around $60 a year since I have stopped collecting the TCG. Although I am sad that I just stopped when it started getting cool in my opinion.

First month of the new year will have me spending around $150. Pre-release for the win!

I usually spend over 100€ on pokémon cards and games. Think playing pokémon is expensive? Try Yu-gi-oh or mtg =(

I spend soooo much on Pokemon. With all the Pokemon stuff I buy I probably spend at least 1000 dollars a year. This year though I don't spend nearly as much. I use points2shop and other survey sites to get the cards free. It's been working great and definitely saves me money. :D

A lot. I'd rather not calculate it and just keep living in my happy world where I can buy Pokemon stuff without worrying about a price.

Back