Pokemon Scalpers Swamp Van Gogh Museum, Forcing Changes to Museum’s Purchase Policy

Sadly point nr 5 on my list of reasons why 151 will be the last edition I actively collect.
Its soulcrushingly depressing what this hobby has become.

I'll be honest, I think that some of the staff got their hands in the cookie jar or in this case Grey Felt Hatted Pikachu stash.
And why not?
One of those suckers at the moment is more than most students working such jobs make a week!
So 10 of them is 2-3 months worth of income easily.

Reminds me of the issue with those Game Stop code cards for certain legendary Pokémon.
I went to the stores and none had them but online they got sold in bulk and yeah, I had heard from employees themselves that they took a good part to sell them online.
This sh*t just makes you mad sometimes but also I kind of understand the circumstances?

I would be banned from the world if I really said how I felt. To put it nicely, these scalpers need to grow up. They are spending so much time in their life trying to steal things from people who genuinely want them, to then resell them for an inflated price that nobody is going to pay, that they are wasting away their lives and not really enjoying the short luxuries of life. I feel sad for scalpers because my guess is that most of them feel the need to do this and in doing so, they lose all sense of empathy, and emotions. Financially, yes they suck. But I think it's hard not to also feel sad for them. I will be praying for them for sure.

It's crazy to see how different TPCi and TPC-JPN are at handling this situation.
I consulted on an exhibition at a major gallery planned for next year in collaboration with TPC JPN. The team had loads of cool ideas for promos and merch but ultimately were told we couldn't have the promo due to "Resale, Robbery and other Public Conditions".

It was annoying to see the Van Gogh promo produced despite our efforts but at the same time, looks like we've dodged a major bullet here.

When I see the PCGClassic being retailed at 2x what it was in Japan while also being of inferior quality, it's hard to disagree with you on what TPCi's motives look like.
Hmmm...possible to share more?

Japan still continues to release exclusive promos?

The Detective Pikachu would be the latest one.

TPCi are just pathetic. Depending on how much of a debacle it is, TPC may just not allow them access to their artists and then they'll go back to Special Delivery and On the Ball clipart cards - which even then, sad losers will fight each other to hoard.

I have to imagine that the Van Gogh Museum would be unhappy that they weren't warned by TPCi what could happen.

Hmmm...possible to share more?

Japan still continues to release exclusive promos?

The Detective Pikachu would be the latest one.

TPCi are just pathetic. Depending on how much of a debacle it is, TPC may just not allow them access to their artists and then they'll go back to Special Delivery and On the Ball clipart cards - which even then, sad losers will fight each other to hoard.

I have to imagine that the Van Gogh Museum would be unhappy that they weren't warned by TPCi what could happen.
They do indeed.
In the case of Detective Pikachu, it's a Pokemon Company product and right now is behind a 7000円 pre-order paywall, the game is not hype at all and the card is a mechanism to sell copies, they also printed enough promos for retail locations to shift pre-orders. There is no mad rush to acquire this card for said reasons and tbh I can see it being given away to Pokemon Center visitors around launch day if they have enough of them left over (I reckon they will).

In our case, the gallery was looking for ways to increase footfall next summer and the collaboration project was launched. The idea of a promo card to attract visitors was floated to TPC reps and they declined for the reasons I stated. The content of the exhibition will be Pokemon themed but no promos. I guess in their eyes , we will still achieve our objective of bringing people to the gallery but without seeing the sort of shit-show that went down in Amsterdam. You can see the Pokemon x Kogeki exhibition as a similar idea to what we're doing, no such promos were distributed there either.

Essentially it boils down to: Free promo cards incite the worst in people and events under third party control are a sort of unknown; Van Gogh Museum didn't have any sort of security or queuing system in place so its very much confirmed TPC-JPN's fears and set a precedent for future projects.

to be fair, not everyone that wants promos are scalpers... sometimes you gotta kick some ass just to grab 1 for yourself, or your kids...

Back