Pokemon TCG May Be Hinting at a Later 2025 Release for “Legends: Z-A”

What if Owner's Pokémon get only one set and then they disappear in history in favor of Mega Evolutions

Pokemon never releases main games with a new system. They wait for people to own the system so they get more sales.
Except this time around they have the existing console install base and its a legends game. Launching along side a new console and coasting on the tailwind of the Switch2 marketing will probably make it sell better.

For Mainline releases, I agree. They would probably want to go Switch2 exclusive and leverage the power in 2026.

Hmmm. But isn't it clear, that we get Gen10 in fall 25? Would be surprising, if they cancel the 3-years-rhythm.
I've seen a theory that I'm willing to believe that it might be in 2026 instead. Firstly, it would be their 30th anniversary which would be extra celebratory with the 10th gen, but secondly, I wouldn't be surprised if there was also internal backlash from developers for not getting enough time to finish a complete product, so they might've included more time in the planning (plus there's a whole new console coming out relatively soon that they would have to adapt to).

Or we can conclude that Iono, N, and Lillie make comebacks in Z&A as protagonist characters in the biggest crossover mainline game of all time :)

I've seen a theory that I'm willing to believe that it might be in 2026 instead. Firstly, it would be their 30th anniversary which would be extra celebratory with the 10th gen, but secondly, I wouldn't be surprised if there was also internal backlash from developers for not getting enough time to finish a complete product, so they might've included more time in the planning (plus there's a whole new console coming out relatively soon that they would have to adapt to).
That implies that they care enough about the games to delay merchandise for their sake. That's laughable.

GOOD! The later ZA drops in 2025, the more likely it'll fill the role of the annual Pokemon game.

With Switch 2's release date not yet known, and as a new Pokemon generation has never dropped during the first year of a new console, they finally could be breaking the horrible three year cycle they've forced themselves to follow.

Celebrating the 30th anniversary with a milestone 10th generation sounds great. Please take your time, Gamefreak!!
There’s no way SV goes longer than 2025

Hmmm. But isn't it clear, that we get Gen10 in fall 25? Would be surprising, if they cancel the 3-years-rhythm.
This is something I'm keeping an eye on. August 2023, there was an interview with the COO where he stated there were conversations about how they could keep to the same schedule for main game releases while improving quality of product. There was another interview (I wish I could find it, but it's a few years old now within a sea of interviews) where Masuda made it pretty clear that the micromanagement that had to happen with so many outsourced teams starting with SWSH made it difficult to keep things on track/quality.

So it's kind of a 50-50 at this point: they have to majorly address their pain points in production after the mess gen9 was, and they know this, but also we're getting to the tail end of 'new' VGC regulations and what they can do to make things interesting before a whole year's circuit ends up being the same regulation the whole year. At the rate they're going, 25-26 season will be one regulation the entire circuit if we wait for gen10 in 2026.

Still, it'd be welcome. I'd rather them take their sweet time and have a boring meta if it means the next numbered generation's game is good and doesn't give my friends seizures. I think, though, we might have to wait for Worlds to see what news they'll have, if any, since it's been 6 months since the teaser for ZA.

I hope Z-A gets its own card layout/era like with HeartGold & SoulSilver (peak Pokémon card design). I was so disappointed when Legends: Arceus didn't get one, though I understand not wanting to cut the SWSH era short.

Z a will most likely come out end of jam early Feb latest start of march with a main game series fall of 2025.
Za isn't a main series game it's like arcus legends. Our first main set of year will be based off za. N a holiday set just before that be based off team rocket n partner pokemon.
We not even halfway through scarlet block. Why would they due a block after a year.

Last edited:
Hmm, but 16 main sets for Scarlet & Violet? Would be weird.

Hmm, but 16 main sets for Scarlet & Violet? Would be weird.
16 wouldn't be actually.
Currently scarlet n voilet is 11 sets over 1year 8 months atm as of Nov set.
Sword and shield was 17 sets not including mcds little set over 3years
Sun and moon was 16 sets not including mcds sets. over 2 years
Xy was 14 sets over 2 years ,black and white was 13 over 2 years

Sword m should took 3 years only due to covid I think and other reason to closer sync us with Japan. But if scarlet n voilet block would end with jan special set it only be 12 sets so I truly believe we have 3 year blocks now. Getting 6 more sets before march of 2026. March starting a new main block.

16 wouldn't be actually.

Sword m should took 3 years only due to covid I think and other reason to closer sync us with Japan. But if scarlet n voilet block would end with jan special set it only be 12 sets so I truly believe we have 3 year blocks now. Getting 6 more sets before march of 2026. March starting a new main block.
If you look at main sets and specially japan they've been around 12 per generation. 4 each year and each generation being 3 years. Generations III and IV were longer (4 years) thats why we had around 16 main sets for those. While gen V onwards have been 3 years long, hence 12 sets. I do think its a fair assumption that we'll go the HGSS route if gen IX indeed takes 4 years. I think theyd like to avoid having the same core mechanic for four years (break, tag team, v star eras all still had megas, gx and v pokemon respectively, so they still had part of the core mechanic in the third year sets)

16 wouldn't be actually.

It's all about the main sets, man ^^ XY, SM and SWSH had all 12 main sets. 3 years with 4 main sets each.

It's all about the main sets, man ^^ XY, SM and SWSH had all 12 main sets. 3 years with 4 main sets
If you look at main sets and specially japan they've been around 12 per generation. 4 each year and each generation being 3 years. Generations III and IV were longer (4 years) thats why we had around 16 main sets for those. While gen V onwards have been 3 years long, hence 12 sets. I do think its a fair assumption that we'll go the HGSS route if gen IX indeed takes 4 years. I think theyd like to avoid having the same core mechanic for four years (break, tag team, v star eras all still had megas, gx and v pokemon respectively, so they still had part of the core mechanic in the third year sets)
If u dont count the special sets yes , aka sets that don't have booster boxes we get 4 a year. So with saying that we still have 4 main sets left of the scarlet n voilet block. Which means z a is part of the scarlet voilet block. Just like arceus game was part of sword and shield. So I truly believe za will be out sometime in jan through march time period and we have a new base game late fall of 2025

If u dont count the special sets yes , aka sets that don't have booster boxes we get 4 a year. So with saying that we still have 4 main sets left of the scarlet n voilet block. Which means z a is part of the scarlet voilet block. Just like arceus game was part of sword and shield. So I truly believe za will be out sometime in jan through march time period and we have a new base game late fall of 2025
Yeah, I think so, too. Can't imagine Gen10 in 2026.

Back