Pokemon VGC National Championships (Indianapolis, IN)

superpokemon67

Aspiring Trainer
Frankly I'm shocked we don't have a dedicated VGC thread here, and since the regionals are over, why not have a thread for the Nationals? You can post here if you're attending, post your predictions, or just talk about the VGC in general.

Attendees:

Juniors:
-SP67's little bro :D
-Cybertron's little bro
-
-
-

Seniors:
-SP67
-SP67's sister
-AoH
-Cybertron
-
-
-

Masters:
Pokeplayer44
-
-
-
-
-

To start some discussion, what do you think the metagame at nats will look like?

I'll be there with a friend from my town who finished 9th at the Southeastern Regionals. We're both Masters.

Yay, a post! I added you. As far as my own question in the topic goes, I'm expecting to see a lot of the winning Japanese team and weather. Maybe some of the basic PO crap thrown in there too.

What was the winning Japanese team? I've sort of been out of the VGC loop lately, trying to better my secret anti-metagame team. Weather will be there, most definitetly. I'm sure we'll see plenty of Cresselia too.

Pokeplayer44 said:
What was the winning Japanese team? I've sort of been out of the VGC loop lately, trying to better my secret anti-metagame team. Weather will be there, most definitetly. I'm sure we'll see plenty of Cresselia too.

I actually did not face a single weather based team.(Seniors SE) (someone used Tyranitar, but it was pretty much a goodstuff team) I think a manual weather team would be fun. much more of a surprise factor than carrying a Politoed/Ninetails/Abomasnow/Tyranitar.

As for attending nationals, there is no way I'm getting a ride to Indiana to play 7-8 rounds Pokémon.

I saw a few at Southeast Masters where I was. I lost to one because the guy's Excadrill with Sand Rush outsped my Garchomp and KO'd it with Earthquake before I could KO it with my Earthquake. Nothing was as crazy as one guy I faced in the Spring Friendly. He had all 4 of the weather abilities on his team. I wish there were more VGC'ers here...

I tend to play Singles more, but I'm a VGC veteran too. I'll be in seniors with you, SP67. That is, if the TCG doesn't overlap it (does it?).

I hope to see many more Excadrills this time around. The two regionals I went to had none at all. All of it was Ludicolos, my worst nightmare. I also want more people to stop putting Scarfs on their Pokemon. A Scarfed Chandelure went and Heat Waved everything I had, with no misses, to knock me out of contention for the top 8. If it hadn't been for that, Garchomp EQ KO, or it could've missed so my Scizor could OHKO with Acrobatics. I just don't know who sees it coming.

~AoH

If you want to do well in Seniors/Juniors just copy a winning team, I guarantee you will go far. The quality of the Seniors/Juniors division is much inferior to the Masters as the majority of Seniors/Juniors lack experience.

Any teams that are too different won't get anywhere, so just stick to the standard metagame teams with slight tweaks/surprises.

Seniors is a pretty legit division quite honestly, the best Seniors are good enough to compete with Masters and still do well. There are over 20 excellent Seniors going to Nationals this year that I would not feel very confident going up against. Of course, there are not as many good Seniors as there are Masters, but it'll take more than a winning team for a Senior to win in the US. Especially when the winning teams you can copy are either a European team, which, for the most part, were very standard and easy to beat now, or the Japanese Swagger team, which I'm sure people will have counters to at Nationals.

Juniors is a silly division since they are all siblings of Seniors / Masters. My brother's looking for the gold this year though!

I wonder what juniors is like? My brother would've been juniors this year and he was going to go with us to regionals but after some complications, he didn't go. Seniors and Masters will always have the better players. The only reason you might lose to someone of less expierience(Didn't EV train) is if they have pokemon with EVs all around so they somehow ''miraculously'' live an attack that would've been an OHKO.

Cybertron said:
Seniors is a pretty legit division quite honestly, the best Seniors are good enough to compete with Masters and still do well. There are over 20 excellent Seniors going to Nationals this year that I would not feel very confident going up against.
Oh yeah Aaron, don't get me wrong there are many good seniors, but I feel the majority of division lack that bit of experience that the Masters have.

dragon9 said:
Oh yeah Aaron, don't get me wrong there are many good seniors, but I feel the majority of division lack that bit of experience that the Masters have.

Definitely agreed. Masters is and will always be the more legit division heh

dragon9 said:
Any teams that are too different won't get anywhere, so just stick to the standard metagame teams with slight tweaks/surprises.

HAH! Forget not going too off the wall with something. I say go big or go home. The only thing on my Nationals team that could even be close to standard isn't part of the main team. I'm going to troll so hard and just hope it works. And just so this isn't a total spam post, I'll say my lead is Equake/Discharge. Half of it is standard (I guess) and the other half isn't the normal thing due to my banning of having two of the same weaknesses on the team.

My little bro will be going for the gold too! (If I can convince him that Scrafty is better for his team then Terrakion). So excited, it's really close. I'll update the OP with the new posters.

And Cybertron, you're on Pokebeach? :O My little bro was so cute with yours at Philly lol. He's excited to see Brendan again.

Dan Brandt has made this statement in regards to the legality of BW2 Pokemon.

New Pokémon games (and thier new content) that have not been released in the U.S. will not be allowed in U.S. run events. This includes all TPCi run/sponsored events.

If you registered yesterday I can almost guarantee you seen me since I had to go up and down the registration line for Juniors and Seniors checking everyone's teams. I was wearing the red staff shirt. When I wasn't working, I had two different shirts. One was a purple one while the other was blue. I also wore a tie to go with them. Great job on getting second.

Thanks! My little bro lost his bag in the convention center. It's a drawstring bag like the ones they gave out at regional last year. If anyone's seen that please VM me. It should have a red 3DS with stickers on it inside, as well as some Pokemon cards.

Anything that was not claimed by 4 PM today I believe is given to local charity is what I thought I overheard. I may be wrong though.

superpokemon67 said:
Well, I got 2nd in the seniors division to Cybertron, so we're both going to worlds!!!

Congrats! Did you use that Howl's Moving Castle team?(Excellent movie, btw!)

Back