Post-Catcher Decks

Card Slinger J said:
...And the only Stage 2 deck worth playing Post-Catcher will be anything running Vileplume UD meaning that almost everyone is going to be running Beartic/Vileplume.
Catcher is not gonna and never will screw TyphloRam up. Gonna catcher typhlosion to front for stalling? fine i just burn your energies. Gonna catcher Typhlosion to kill it? fine it won't slow me down enough to disturb me. I usually get all set up at T2 or T3 unless i have totally bad luck.

But I thought Emboar was more popular than Typhlosion Prime? It hasn't seen as much play anymore since Charizard was Modified legal. I still miss that deck but hey it's better than Luxray GL Lv. X abusing Catcher with Bright Look.

Card Slinger J said:
But I thought Emboar was more popular than Typhlosion Prime? It hasn't seen as much play anymore since Charizard was Modified legal. I still miss that deck but hey it's better than Luxray GL Lv. X abusing Catcher with Bright Look.

I feel like Typhlsion will become the play with reshiram simply because it's retreat cost is half of Emboar's. That being said, I don't know if either will be fast enough.

adamisclassy said:
I feel like Typhlsion will become the play with reshiram simply because it's retreat cost is half of Emboar's. That being said, I don't know if either will be fast enough.

If T2 setup is not fast enough, then i laugh. but seriously TyphloRam is better than ReshiBoar overall, even tho it's at slight disadvantage against MagneBoar and ReshiBoar. but imo it's better against other decks than ReshiBoar.

And typhlo prime is bit better attacker than ability emboar anyways due to lower energy cost and it discard's opponent's active's energies.

adamisclassy said:
Card Slinger J said:

I think there's more to Typhlosion being better Emboar than just it's retreat cost. My best friend won the Prof. Cup using a Typhlosiram deck another close friend built yesterday and after messing around with it I honestly think that you have more options with Typhlosion than Emboar.
Plus Typhlosion's a good attacker, Emboar isn't, so Catcher wouldn't be that scary except in early game vs. something like a Donphan that's OHKOing your Cyndaquill. But at the same time a Typhlosiram deck will try to do the same thing to a Donphan decks Phanpy.

Yanmega, Donphan and stage one decks will be golden.
I think ZPS will be faster but not all that much better.
Typhlosiram will be a little better.
Beartic will see play
but I think Mono-Green Control (Yanmega/Vileplume) will be a better lock deck.
DonChamp will be played, but shouldn't be.

I think a bench with high HP and the ability to attack (or take a hit and retreat for cheap) will be an important part of the game.

The biggest problem I see for the post-Catcher format is starters.
A Cleffa or any other baby on the bench after setting up is an instant prize card for every deck, not just Yanmega. Idea's for set up Pokemon?

Zhaituki said:
adamisclassy said:

If T2 setup is not fast enough, then i laugh. but seriously TyphloRam is better than ReshiBoar overall, even tho it's at slight disadvantage against MagneBoar and ReshiBoar. but imo it's better against other decks than ReshiBoar.

And typhlo prime is bit better attacker than ability emboar anyways due to lower energy cost and it discard's opponent's active's energies.

Everyone claims their deck of choice is T2 set up (or ZPS is T1). Decks like Typhlsion/Reshiram, who run a stage 2 which requires 2 different cards for that T2 setup, are less likely to have a T2 setup than a deck running a 4-4 donphan line. In a format with pokemon catcher, pulling up that cyndaquil and knocking it out with earthquake or sonicboom will slow stage 2 decks down.

adamisclassy said:
Everyone claims their deck of choice is T2 set up (or ZPS is T1). Decks like Typhlsion/Reshiram, who run a stage 2 which requires 2 different cards for that T2 setup, are less likely to have a T2 setup than a deck running a 4-4 donphan line. In a format with pokemon catcher, pulling up that cyndaquil and knocking it out with earthquake or sonicboom will slow stage 2 decks down.
I don't just claim, i've got it in many testing battles. ZPS for me then again is umh like T5-T6 setup.... Bad luck is bad in that unlike in TyphloRam. <_<

I have built my TyphloRam that way that it don't have much need for lucky draws.

Welcome to Finnish gameplay where all players are semi-good, good or very good. :D

Zhaituki said:
adamisclassy said:
I don't just claim, i've got it in many testing battles. ZPS for me then again is umh like T5-T6 setup.... Bad luck is bad in that unlike in TyphloRam. <_<

I have built my TyphloRam that way that it don't have much need for lucky draws.

Welcome to Finnish gameplay where all players are semi-good, good or very good. :D
The limit of only being able to have 4 of a card in your deck and mathematical probabilities suggest otherwise. And more importantly, Typhlosions are going to get knocked out. Are you going to be able to rebuild and if so, how many times. Recovery matters too.

Zhaituki said:
adamisclassy said:

Could you elighten us with a mechanic or two that make your TyphloRam the amazing and unique deck of its type that you make it out to be?

^I second that I have been hearing alot about your typhoram and you have been saying that everyone but you is running a sub-optimal list. I am quite interested in what makes you so confident that your list can become top tier.

Bwaaaa

I've teched it that way that it has about always T2 set-up (usually only reshiram lacks energy if something's not "setup").

I've been testing it many times against various decks. It's strong points is that all but Ninetales can be useful at attacking, meaning catcher is about useless.

Many ppl alrdy using catcher here as proxyed, so do i. And Catcher made this deck so effective and very disturbing too. And i play good amount of refreshers and stuff anyway for that T2 speed. Judges and RDL are just waste of space.
I doubt any of you come to as far as to Finland, just to try against my TyphloRam. Also i don't trust virtual shuffling. That's why i don't play on RedShark.

^If this is true then congrats for finding the best list for {R} decks that run a stage 2 and a basic. Because if what you are saying is true with your list reshiboar could also setup turn 2 every game meaning that it will also be a very good deck.

Bwaaaa

bwaaaa said:
^If this is true then congrats for finding the best list for {R} decks that run a stage 2 and a basic. Because if what you are saying is true with your list reshiboar could also setup turn 2 every game meaning that it will also be a very good deck.

Bwaaaa

It has to sacrifice something of that speedy teching to get energy recovery. Otherwise Reshiboar wouldn't be that good late-game. TyphloRam always stays powerful and doesn't get energy starved due to typhlos' power.

^ it would not be that hard to find spots for 2-3 fisherman. I have looked at your list and taking out 1 twins 1 burned tower and 1 collector to fit them in. The reason for taking out the 1 collector is that you don't need to have multiple copies of your energy accelerator on the bench in reshiboar unlike typhloram.

Bwaaaa

Well, based on the Nationals results, if I read it correctly, ZPS, Donchamp, and Magneboar didn't do so well, but the main point is, these decks are decks that I think will do good in a post-Catcher world;

Yanmega/Magnezone
Yanmega/Kingdra
Disruption decks
Trainer Lock decks
Cappuccino?
CinPluff?

And I think Reshiram/Typlosion is > Reshiboar, because it's faster, although you do need to run multiple copies of your energy accelerator.

OU Pokemon said:
Well, based on the Nationals results, if I read it correctly, ZPS, Donchamp, and Magneboar didn't do so well, but the main point is, these decks are decks that I think will do good in a post-Catcher world;

Yanmega/Magnezone
Yanmega/Kingdra
Disruption decks
Trainer Lock decks
Cappuccino?
CinPluff?

And I think Reshiram/Typlosion is > Reshiboar, because it's faster, although you do need to run multiple copies of your energy accelerator.
That list lacks many, TyphloRam don't get hurt by catcher. Except maybe losing ninetales loses bit of drawing power. As i said before in this topic, many ppl here in finnish leagues use proxied catchers. I'm still doing even better than without catcher being in format. Also the chances you get a catcher to your hand is not all that big to rely on it.

How to play a stage 2, post catcher:

Step 1: Beef up your lists with ways to search for basic pokemon.

It is inevitable (especially if you go second) that your basics WILL die on turn 2. What needs to happen is for you to get two basics out - one to survive, one to suicide fodder. If you need more than one, just get more.

Step 2: Play a 4-2-4 line of your main attacker, with 4 rare candies.

If a basic stays on the bench for more than a turn, it's a free prize. With 4 rare candies, you will always a) have one, or b) have one in the discard to junk arm.

Step 3: Collector for more than you need, like (for example) Cyndaquil Cyndaquil Cyndaquil. Collector for what you need NOW; You're not getting reshiram out and firing this turn, or the next turn - and using him to wall against catcher is pointless. Just keep cleffa up there; they aren't going to kill cleffa until you have nothing left that they can kill - and if they can't pull out a catcher, then they kill your cleffa (big whoop).

If you run 3 collector 3-4 dual ball (for instance), you will have no trouble pulling out a reshiram when you need it - so rare candy everything up.

Step 4: Run Twins.

Accept the fact that you will lose 1-2 prizes while setting up. Decks that ran Spiritomb automatically knew that their opponent's first two prizes were probably going to be Spiritombs. If you suicide a Cyndaquil turn 1 (as above), you can spend the next turn's supporter using Twins to find a Rare Candy and Typhlosion. (Or, a rarecandy/typhlosion and another twins).

Step 5: Run your own Catchers.

Stage 1 decks may be able to attack early for low energy, but Catcher is still useful in disruption. Pulling up a benched Phanpy or Donphan or Slowking while they have a Yanmega active may prevent them from sniping.

(step 5.5: Run a lost remover. 1-of, with 4 junk arms. You remove their rescue. Slows them down heaps. Trust me.)

Back