Professor's Exam

Jeremy1026

Aspiring Trainer
I just took the exam for the 3rd time, and failed by 1 question! So close, yet so far away. It's going to be a long month before I can retake it.

RE: Professors Exam

I also hate that its a timed test =/

i never do good with those as im a slow thinker

I think I got all of the ruling questions right and missed like every single one of the tournament organizer questions. Still, I passed. I was super worried about time, and then when I got through, I realized I still had a good 20 minutes left. But anyways, check out this subforum from time to time. Try to think about how you'd answer the question, and then see if you get it right. It might help you do better next time.

I made the mistake of not studying or even glancing over the various official materials provided for your perusal the first time I took the test. Needless to say... I failed. Like Mora, I did well on the ruling portion of the exam but fell to pieces when it came to tournament organization!

The second time I took the test, I got well over 90%. You'll get it next time! Spend your month of waiting reviewing the tournament organizer guide as well as official Pokémon rulebooks and the Ask a Professor forum.

Just realized that, as of now, there's no way to take the exam while being in Costa Rica! D: Any way I can surpass this? I know a friend of mine placed his mother's working place in the US, but don't feel like doing this would be completely honest. :/ Any suggestions?

In addition to Luispipe 8, is there any model test I can take? Or can I take the test without entering in the answers? I'm just curious to what they'd say on it, and being 15 it wont matter because when I'm 18 the test will (most likely) be different.

I passed by one question. Rulings are easy. It's tournament stuff that killed me. Study that and you should be fine.

Elbow said:
In addition to Luispipe 8, is there any model test I can take? Or can I take the test without entering in the answers? I'm just curious to what they'd say on it, and being 15 it wont matter because when I'm 18 the test will (most likely) be different.

Not really a test, but you can always ask current Professors to give you some "Practice questions" if they're willing to help. Heck, I'd even help you If I could, from what I've seen the test isn't all that back, another friend showed me a question to let me know the mechanic of the test and it seemed simple enough. I think I'd still fail most of the Tournament Organizing ones, though. Dx

And to add to my situation, I already submitted a ticket at Pokémon.com to see what can be done, specially because Costa Rica just entered the Premiere Events system.

The best advice i can give would be to study the rulings compendium on Pokegym. While it doesn't answer specific questions from the test (other than stuff like general rules), it contains rulings and game mechanics going back several years. I studied it well before taking the professor test and passed on my first try. It's also a good idea to look over the Play! Pokemon tournament rules, as some of the questions come from that as well, generally on judge calls and Spirit of the Game. Basically, just treat it like you would an exam in school.

The test structure is multiple choice and true/false. A sample question could look like this (I made this up, it's not from the test).

Keldeo-EX says that you may use its Abilitiy Rush in once during your turn. If you have two Keldeo-EX in play, how can you use the ability?

A. You may only use the ability of one Keldeo-EX during your turn.
B. You may use the ability twice; it doesn't matter which Pokemon uses it as you have two Keldeo in play
C. Each Keldeo-EX can use the abilitiy once for itself.
D. None of the above

If you've so much as glanced at a Keldeo-EX card, the answer should be obvious. On test questions that ask about rulings for specific cards, the exam will always give you the text of the ability or attack in question.

As others have said, the real killers are the tournament organizer questions. I vaguely remember one involving what course of action to take when one player opposes his opponent's choice of randomizer. They're all questions like that.

It also has a habit of being out of date, so it'll probably ask you about cards that are out of rotation.

Back