Question About Mewtwo EX

xGallade

Galladite
When the actual Next Destinies set comes out on Feb. 8th, will Mewtwo EX
(both regular and Full Art) still be worth alot of money? I see that many people are hunting that card down to put in their decks/collections.

So once, again will Mewtwo EX still be worth alot of money when ND is released?

It will be interesting to see where the price goes once the card is released. It's a good card, there is no doubt about that and the price will stay high for a while, it might even stay there for ages if it lives up to the hype. LuxrayX and UxieX were expensive for a long time as well. I guess the main impact on the price will be does the card live up to the hype it has been given?

I have been playing Celebi / Tornadus / Mewtwo on playtcg for a while now and I really like the deck. I have it fully built (excluding the ND cards) and as soon as I get them it will definitly be my deck for the next format. But as for the price droping due to the card actually being available ? I don't think it would drop based on this (not dramaticlly anyway) the main price change I feel will be once people start to play with it in decks and see how it goes against the rest of the format (something that can already be done on playtcg)

So in short, yes I think it will hold it's price for awhile

i think when next destinies actually comes out it's gonna go down a little, but it's not gonna be less than $40

i do think because of the hype it will stay up in price for a while. it depends if it lives up to its hype, if it becomes part of the best deck in format(which it most likely will)and it's playablility in the meta. So all in all i do think it will stay up high for a while.

The thing with Mewtwo EX is that it's extremely good and splashable into almost any deck. You can make a deck based off the card or you can tech it into Reshiphlosion if you want to. It's extremely flexible and very powerful. I am relatively new to the TCG but I won't be surprised if this card stays at it's current value for awhile. Most people want to run it and it's desirable for collectors as well. :)

Value related questions belong here: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-the-how-much-is-a-card-worth-topic

The discussion of how the prices of cards change upon release is a fine topic, though.

Mewtwo will defiantly not go down. It will stay the same as now, or no go up to around $100. Right now in Japan Mewtwo's are $45 and their pull rates are roughly 3x better than ours. You can get a box in Japan for about $50 and Mewtwos are about 1 per box(either FA or Regular), if that gives you a perspective of how much its worth even with its pull rate.

It's called Prerelease hype. Cards are completely hyped during the time of the Prereleases for the set that they're in, but people eventually find out that they're not as good as they thought, and the price goes down (See Gengar Prime and Lost World. $40 and $10 a piece during their respective Prereleases). Heck, even cards that live up to the hype, such as Pokemon Catcher did, have dropped in price. That should answer your question one way or another.

The thing is, the card isn't JUST hyped, and, as has been mentioned, can be splashed into pretty much anything. It's not a very specific card for a very specific deck, that's good in very specific match-ups like LostGar was. No, it's a tech, OR a deck. It may be over-hyped, but it isn't hyped if that makes sense.

It's going to go down. The only time something goes up after being this high is if there was no hype and it ended up being used in a top deck, or used in a lot of top decks. It is most definitely not going to go up, that's ridiculous. This is Pokemon, not Yu-Gi-Oh.

At prerelease, we got 4 mewtwo EX out of our 2 boxes. So I don't see how it can possibly keep a value above $30 at those kind of rates.

AmishEskimoNinja said:
At prerelease, we got 4 mewtwo EX out of our 2 boxes. So I don't see how it can possibly keep a value above $30 at those kind of rates.

The 2 boxes you opened were all based on Luck then. I just looked for Mewtwo EX
(both versions) on eBay and they are as high as $70.00!

i think it will be around $60,-
It's really hard to pull it + Its hyped alot. And if Mewtwo EX will be dominating in the topcut for the ECC, its price will raise more.

xGallade said:
The 2 boxes you opened were all based on Luck then. I just looked for Mewtwo EX
(both versions) on eBay and they are as high as $70.00!

But thats because people can't buy boxes yet. I remember a prereleased Machamp Lv. X going for $40. After the set came out they were only a $9 card. Even if Mewtwos are only 0.9 per box, and you can buy a box for $90, there's no way they can stay at even $40.

^Exactly. A card's price is determined by three factors (holding the condition constant): playability, scarcity, and demand. If you look at them as scales between one and ten, I think Mewtwo would look something like an 8 or 9 on the playability scale (this would be based on preliminary deck testing and expectations). I would say maybe a 7 as far as scarcity goes, and a 10 for demand. When the set is released, the only one of these that can rise is playability, but that can only rise 10-20%. The scarcity of the card will go down because everyone and their mother is going to buy a box of Next Destinies. If you get three EX's per box (2 regular and 1 FA), then you have about a 50% chance of pulling any Mewtwo, which will make him much less scarce. The demand can't go up any higher, because everybody already wants Mewtwo.

And that is why the value will undoubtedly drop.

festizzio said:
If you get three EX's per box (2 regular and 1 FA), then you have about a 50% chance of pulling any Mewtwo, which will make him much less scarce.

Actually, I believe the true percent is closer to like 33% or 40%.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said. Mewtwo will drop in value, but not that much. It will still stay high until or unless it isn't viable in the metagame.

The price will probably go down a bit, but it won't become a lot cheaper until after states. The reason people are hunting down the card is because it is really hard to get and it is important to have for states. After states, the price will go down because there will be plenty of time to get one before regionals

The EX rates for this set are just too low imo.
I'm just lucky I got 2 Mewtwo EX (1 FA 1 non-FA) out of 2 boxes...

Given that every deck needs to have at least 1 Mewtwo-EX or else get swept by Mewtwo-EX (particularly MTC);
That there is on average 1 Mewtwo in 2 boxes;
That not everyone will buy 2 boxes;

The price is going to be god-knows-where.

This is what happens when TPCi/P!P tries to copy the same pull rates in Yu-Gi-Oh! for getting EX's at Secret Rare level. They know alot of Yu-Gi-Oh! players are migrating over to Pokemon and they thought that since the EX's were the only good cards in the set they made them much harder to pull. Protip for TPCi/P!P don't EVER take pointers from Konami, they don't know how to handle their own TCG it's already a mess.

Back