Not open for further replies.

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
cotdcopy.png

sl9-raikou.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. Analyze the stats of the card (HP, Weakness, Resistance, Retreat cost).
2. Analyze the attacks (and/or Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies) of the card.
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. What techs can you use to combat the weak points?
5. How's the artwork?
6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).

Posts MUST be more than one sentence long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted.

Ideal Hp, The Weakness and Resistance is also standard for an electric type. It's retreat cost is horrible but compensated with its ability.

For a basic the attack is actually pretty good. The 20 damage to the bench isn't too bad and can easily be healed.

Donphan is a perfect pairing since you can target it to take 20 damage and it's ability would reduce it to 0. You could combo it with Electrode prime to give it energy faster.

Hard to say. Although you could combo it well with some things It's hardly a usable card.

5. How's the artwork?
It's pretty good, I love the lightning storm in the background. Raikou himself looks pretty kick ass.

6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
3/5 It's ok. As a collector of electic pokemon I love it for my collection, but as far as playability goes it's not really good.

90 HP for basic Pokemon is a solid amount, the Weakness is very typical of an electric Pokemon but having said that i still think x2 is a tad mean, the Resistance is fairly average i think any more then +20 would be too generous and the Retreat cost is high for a basic Pokemon but it is a big Pokemon and big things don't always move fast. The Poke-Body covers this but it does require electric energy to be attached.

I like the base damage of 70 however the 20 damage done to one of your own is the counter weight but at least you don't have to discard energy cards to use the move.

Off the top of my head i was thinking of having this card in a half electric / fighting deck or having the other half being pokemon that have a resistance to electric equal to the amount the 20 damage does from the 'Raging Thunder' move.

Cards that reduce damage or give RaiKou some sort of extra defence but can't think of any right now apart from the Expert Belt but not even sure that card is legal or from one of the last 8 booster pack releases.

5. How's the artwork?

Being a self confessed electric Pokemon fan i simply love the Thunder and Lightning effect in the background and Raikou him/herself looks great.

6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating

Putting my love of all electric Pokemon aside for one moment i'd give this card a 4/5 It's not game breaking but any fan of electric Pokemon might be able to find room in a electric theme deck or deck that sampled electric Pokemon.

^ lol joshy, love how you kept the answer to question 5 multi sex :)

1. HP, Weakness, Resistance all pretty standard for a basic pokemon, slightly higher HP then most basics but this is Raikou we are talking about. Retreat cost can be abit of a bother but once your ready to attack it becomes zero :)
2. Poke-body is great and allows you to combat the retreat cost, attack does fairly decent damage aswell :)
3. I'd probably run an donphan / raikou deck or any other pokemon with -20 resistance to electric. You could also add in a parichisu / Shaymin skyform tech to get all 3 energys on in one turn
4. Well his own body combats the retreat, I guess sunnyshore to combat weakness and so no-one has resistance to your attacks, and the old e-belt for some HP?
5. Love it :) great :) 5/5 for artwork from me
6. Overall I give it a 3.5/5 I am a little biased as I do like my electric pokemon. But writing this article has made me realise you could actually use this guy in an electric deck. Definitly not meta game material (in this format...) but definitly could make a strong league deck.

I'm Back!

90 Hp is good for a basic... but it doesn't evolve! but it can be boosted with Expert belt and SPT to 130. Weakness is bad! DonChamp FTW anybody? retreat cost is annoying, but it can be reduced with the body. Resistance is meh, it wouldn't do great against tanks either way.

The Poke-Body is cool, like all the "Extreme Speed" Poke-bodies. The attack is meh, not really that good, there are better attacks... not much else to say...

Maybe DONK with Pachirisu TM and Shaymin UL, but Zekrom will be better once BW come out. Not much else I could think of ATM. xP not to good at this

Hm... Not much. I mean there aren't techs to stop annihilation with Donphan/Machamp variants

5. How's the artwork?
I love the artwork, It is cool! It's also the 1st Shiny I got in CoL! I love Raikou and Electric types in General

I'll give it 2/5 stars because of it's DONK capability, but I still feel like I'm being generous. =/

ok lets go :)
Good HP for a basic, weakness for a lightning type is common, retreat cost is great with the poke body.
It's attack is like a better Luxray GL Lv X
You can use it with plenty of combos: I always run one Raikou CL in my ZPTS, so you can put 20 damage on Zekrom, you can attach two lightning to Pachirisu and then move them with Shaymin to Raikou, and OHKO any Yanmega. It works as a good starter with Evolite coming out in the new set.
Zekrom, Tornadus, Pachirisu and Shaymin are brilliant help to this card to give it life.
5. How's the artwork?
AMAZING artwork! It looks so much better than the other cards in call of legends.
I would give it 4/5. It's a great card, can be used in so many decks, and it is a shame that this card is so rare, as a turn one 70 damage would be spectacular, despite what the others say, this is a great card!

90 HP for a basic used to be pretty good, but with cards like Zekrom, Reshiram, and even Cobalion, 90 HP is pretty weak for a non evolving basic. 2 Retreat for such a light basic is pretty terrible as well. Weakness is standard, but is terrible with Donphan being able to score an easy KO given the low HP. Resistance is also fairly typical, but metal is so UU that it hardly helps.

The pokebody is nice, but it's also a slap in the face. Lowering retreat is kinda nice, but the fact that you need two energy to do what many lightning pokemon do naturally is an insult. The attack is really bad, and can either be seen as a more energy inefficient Flash Impact, or a vastly inferior Bolt Strike

Pachy and Shaymin, same as Zekrom. Only, you know...less effective.

Like Zekrom, Tornadus could be useful. Yanmega as well since both resist fighting. Evolite will eliminate the recoil damage.

5. How's the artwork?

One of the few good things about the card. I like the background and especially the lightning, but I think Raikou itself could have been done a little better, Maybe darker shadows given the light from the lighting. 7/10.

2/5. I could see it being used as a poor man's Zekrom or Tornadus, and for that, it could be pretty good. At league, with the right support (which is still more expensive than Zekrom), I could see it being used as a decent donk, or maybe in a ZPST that wants as many donk pokemon as possible. That's really it though. The pokemon's kill potential isn't that good, and Donphan eats it for lunch.

***On an unrelated note, I have a humble request for the moderator team. I know that there's a concern with necroing forum threads, but I was wondering if an exception could be made for Card Review threads. There hasn't been a new one in a while, so new members that want to share their opinions only have the old ones to work with. The competitive value of a card can also change (cards like Emboar and Dual ball are definitely good examples of this) and it might be interesting to "revisit" older cards in this manner.

That said, could we have permission to revisit old threads, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back