• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Raikou/Magnezone Acceleration

leeanna36

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon - 17

1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
4 Magnemite BKT 51
4 Magneton BKT 53
4 Magnezone BKT 54
4 Raikou BKT 55

Trainers - 27

3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
1 VS Seeker PHF 109
2 Professor's Letter XY 123
1 Switch ROS 91
1 Super Rod BKT 149
2 Shauna PHF 104
4 Clemont GEN 59
2 Evosoda XY 116
4 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
1 Brigette BKT 161
2 Ultra Ball FAC 113
2 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
2 Energy Retrieval BLW 92

Energy - 16

16 Lightning Energy

The theory is to load up Raikou with tons of energy using Magnezone's ability. This deck works flawlessly online, but I'm having problems executing in real life. Any critiques/suggestions are welcome and more than appreciated! :)

Pokémon - 18

1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
4 Magnemite BKT 51
3 Magnezone BKT 54
3 Raikou BKT 55
1 Pikachu EX promo
2 Remoraid - BKT
2 Octillery - BKT
2 Mew - BKT

Trainers - 31
3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
4 VS Seeker PHF 109
1 Professor's Letter XY 123
1 Super Rod BKT 149
2 Level Ball
3 Sycamore , Professor
2 Lysandre
3 Ultra Ball FAC 113
2 N
1 Energy Retrieval BLW 92

1 Fisherman
1 Float Stone
3 Bursting Balloons
4 Rare Candy

Energy - 11

11 Lightning

Lysandre necessary for garbodor, Octillery for consistent draw(level ball to compliment)

Your goal is not to one shot with the deck. It is better to trade with the ex's which is why Balloons are better than FFB because you will get one shot most of the time. N and Sycamore are staples N helps you climb into the late game if you are behind. Don't be afraid to discard with sycamore, just deal with what is at your disposal. Mew helps not having to use raikou and also can kill Mewtwo w/ weakness. Pikachu EX to go for big KO's in the late game. No item lock means you can skip the stage 1 and start putting pressure turn 2

You could cut 1 energy to put in another float stone or just play 2 switches.

Let me know if you need any help. I have been working on this deck for about 3 weeks now and this seems to be the most consistent.

I like your trainer setup, only I don't own rare candies, and I don't want to drop a lot on extra cards. I really like Clemont in this deck too much to not take him out, too. The focus is energy acceleration. I'm thinking of adding 2x Lugia-EX, though so I don't have to rely so heavily on Raikou.

And I feel you on the Bursting Balloons, but is it really a good trade-off? Sometimes that extra 10 dmg or few more HP have really paid off for me and made the win happen, where otherwise I would have lost...

I like your trainer setup, only I don't own rare candies, and I don't want to drop a lot on extra cards. I really like Clemont in this deck too much to not take him out, too. The focus is energy acceleration. I'm thinking of adding 2x Lugia-EX, though so I don't have to rely so heavily on Raikou.

And I feel you on the Bursting Balloons, but is it really a good trade-off? Sometimes that extra 10 dmg or few more HP have really paid off for me and made the win happen, where otherwise I would have lost...

2 Lugia-ex is not good because the whole point of Raikou is to have a better prize trade. 1-prize attackers over 2-prize attacker. Pikachu-EX and Mew are good enough. Remember you have super rod. Bursting balloons put pressure on the opponent whether they attack or not. Buys a crucial turn especially with the EXs. Clemont isn't good because you have to look more into the late game. The prize trade as I have mentioned too much helps so much.

2 Lugia-ex is not good because the whole point of Raikou is to have a better prize trade. 1-prize attackers over 2-prize attacker. Pikachu-EX and Mew are good enough. Remember you have super rod. Bursting balloons put pressure on the opponent whether they attack or not. Buys a crucial turn especially with the EXs. Clemont isn't good because you have to look more into the late game. The prize trade as I have mentioned too much helps so much.
Not only that, but Raikou is basically a 1-prize EX with FFB. 160 HP -20 dmg with [L] attached= 180 HP.

May I suggest you run Energy Recycler along with Super Rod. A Raikou with 5 energy hits 170 (with FFB). You would probably attack around this range, so if you get KOed, recycler acts like the energy discard never happened.

Not only that, but Raikou is basically a 1-prize EX with FFB. 160 HP -20 dmg with [L] attached= 180 HP.

May I suggest you run Energy Recycler along with Super Rod. A Raikou with 5 energy hits 170 (with FFB). You would probably attack around this range, so if you get KOed, recycler acts like the energy discard never happened.

The reason you don't run recycler because the versatility of super being able to pick up pokemon in the late game. Maybe a Raikou is prized so it leaves you with minimal options. So Rod > Recycler.

Either way you get 2 shot so being able to put on damage without having to attack is more valuable since the mega decks are putting PCL in the decks now. It keeps the 2 shots instead of a 3 shot. This is why Balloon > FFB

No FFB because 180 is not a hard number to hit nowadays.

Thanks for the advice. I never thought about 1-prize vs 2-prize before. This opens up a whole new world of thinking.

As for the Clemont thing, he is there for massive energy acceleration, as is the point of the deck. He has been a staple and a game winner for me. If you suggest pulling him out, then what would be your alternative suggestion? I just cannot see this deck without him. He is too integral to the strategy (load Raikou up quick and waylay everything before my opponent can set up properly). Removing him is going to take some convincing...

Ex: Play Clemont, get 4 lightning energy, Magnezone them onto Raikou, hit for 190. Enough to knock out almost any Pokémon!

Last edited:
I'd rather have fisherman for the late game. You run a professors letter. You don't want to run clemont because you run so much energy you'd probably get the energy off a sycamore + abyssal hand combo. That way you draw stuff other than the energy for the turn. Remember Raikou has low hp so you need to be able to replenish once one gets knocked out.

Back