RattataJoey's Future Sight Article 7:Musharna from Psycho Drive [Readers Choice]

R

RattataJoey

Today I'm reviewing my third request card this week its Musharna from Psycho Drive.

030.jpg

Musharna – Psychic – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Munna

Ability: Vision
Look at 2 cards from the top of your deck, choose 1 of them, and put it in your hand. Return the other card to the bottom of your deck. You can use this ability 1 time during your turn.

[P][P] Fluffy Dream: 40 damage. This Pokemon is now Asleep.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

This card seems to have made itself into the Marmite of the Pokémon world, players either love him or hate him. Why is this? I believe it all comes down to Musharna's Ability 'Vision' which allows you to look at the top 2 cards of your deck choose 1 to add to your hand and send the other to the bottom of your deck, which as many of us know reads exactly the same way as Uxie Lv.X's 'Trade Off' Poké-Power.

146-uxie-lv.x.jpg

With Uxie Lv.X being a highly sort after card its seems that seeing a new non-secret rare card with his Ability has caused quite a stir but is the hype deserved? To answer this I will compare the 2 directly.

Firstly what advantages does Musharna have over Uxie Lv.X? The clearest advantage I can see for Musharna is the fact that its a Stage 1 and not a Lv.X, Lv.X Pokémon had to be active to be played onto their counterpart where as a Stage 1 can be evolved on the bench without worry of the basic being killed off straight away. The next advantage is the fact that Musharna will most likely be a Rare or an Uncommon in the set its released in over here meaning it will be a lot easier to pull and a lot less expensive to buy when compared to a Secret Rare.

Next we'll see their comparisons, apart from 'Vision' and 'Trade Off' being identical they both share the same 2x Psychic weakness which a few months ago wouldn't have been too bad but now with Gothitelle running about that weakness could become trouble especially in a catcher format.

Finally we get to Uxie's advantages, Uxie Lv.X has a much smaller retreat cost at 1 compared to Musharna's cost of 3, this always made Uxie much easier to get out of the active spot if you needed to move him as this could be done with either 1 energy or Unown Q where as Musharna would solely rely on switch to retreat from the active spot, additionally there's Uxie Lv.X's attacl 'Zen Blade' which for {C}{C} would do 60 damage to the opponents active where as Musharna needs {P}{P} to do 40 and put them to sleep, of course Uxie couldn't use 'Zen Blade' the following turn but it tended to be a finishing or strategic attack and was never relied on to be a main attack, also Uxie Lv.X could use the attacks of the Uxie underneath it meaning that it could rely on 'Psychic Restore' to allow it to run back to the deck if it was close to getting knocked out, which brings me to my final advantage that Uxie Lv.X has over Musharna and thats the basic used to get it onto the field, the Uxie from Legends Awakened had the Poké-Power 'Setup' which allowed you to draw cards until you had 7 when you played Uxie from your hand onto the bench, this is where Uxie Lv.X's 'Trade Off' became valuable because not only could you accelerate your draw rate from you deck with Trade Off but you also has Setup drawing from and thinning your deck meaning that you where only having to accelerate your deck for 1 or 2 key cards whereas Musharna will have you accelerating a much larger deck which will lower the probability of Vision-ing the card you need.

So as we can see Uxie Lv.X seems to be far superior to Musharna in most respects with Musharna seeming to be less hassle to setup and more affordable but falling sort in most other respects, I can see Musharna seeing some testing but overall I don't think it will be successful as a meta-game tech.

Special thanks go to Barux for requesting this weeks card, if you would like a card reviewing feel free to ask via here, my profile or my new facebook page which I'll be using to post updates involving more content for readers.

Signing off for now,
RattataJoey

I think it would be a better card if they came out with a Munna with some sort of draw ability like how Uxie let you draw until you had seven. So I don't see it being played all too much, but it is an interesting option that will be thrown into the format. Maybe next season there will be a better combo it may be played with.

Musharna will be STAPLE in any trainer-lock deck, just sayin'...

Paired up with gardevoir its attack cost will get cut down to one, otherwise it doesn't seem worth it. Three retreat is big for a tech. Without trainer lock it'll get catchered and killed.

ATS said:
Musharna will be STAPLE in any trainer-lock deck, just sayin'...

Actually, I disagree. Many people will find Musharna as a waste or resources. Considering some TyRam players are dropping Ninetales from their deck, which draws three cards to Musharna's one, probably means Musharna will see no play.

Back