Returning player, feeling lost!!

PHRESHKHID

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone, well to get to the point I use to play Pokemon TCG when I was alot younger, and haven't played in over 3yrs or so. Anyway, Im trying to figure out where to start back off at. However with the new changes happening with the game I feel very lost. For starters I am not sure what deck I should be running or considering. I do know that I like decks that revolve around Gengar since he is my fav. pokemon, but of course if it is not competitive I won't play it. Money is not an issue, I just need help with knowing what type of decks will be good after the officail new rules go into play. So if anyone has any ideas and can lend a hand in helping get back started that would great.

Thanks

Gengar is actually a very competitive deck right now. You can run Vilegar, which uses the Stormfront Gengar and the Undaunted Vileplume, but that deck will be destroyed after the rotation in August. You can go LostGar, a deck that aims to win by the use of a Stadium card called "Lost World", along with Gengar Prime and a few other newer cards. This deck should see play after the rule change and the format rotation. The most popular deck after the rules change will be Sabledonk, which uses Sableye from Stormfront to win in one turn.

Any Plumetomb Gengar variant (which uses Spiritomb from Arceus and Vileplume from Undaunted with either Gengar from Stormfront or Gengar Lv.X) can also deal with Sabledonk after rotation, because Sabledock, being a Trainer-happy deck, can't use any of those Trainers against an Active Spiritomb or a Vileplume on the Bench.

However, this doesn't mean you have the guaranteed win, since if you start with a Gastly to your opponent's Sableye, thanks to Sableye forcing that player to go first, Sabledonk will have the win (so you gotta start with Tomb).

Hmm so the next rotation is in August then? I may build VileGar if that's so. When do the rule changes kick in?

Also can someone link me to a Sabledonk list or skeleten

The next rotation is in August, but we don't know what will be rotated out.

As for a Sabledonk list, we don't allow people asking for decklists. I do think there is a video article on Sablelock, though (you can find it through six prizes).

Oo ok, sorry about that did mean an actual list, just a skeleton of what cards are ran in it. But thank you

PHRESHKHID said:
Hmm so the next rotation is in August then? I may build VileGar if that's so. When do the rule changes kick in?

Also can someone link me to a Sabledonk list or skeleten

The rule change kicks in after Regionals.

Actually, glaceon, that is partially correct. The rule change begins on April 25th, when BW is released.

Back