Ruling Ruling on Hitmontop + Martial Arts Dojo

jamashawalker

Ikouze!
As I was testing out the new Hitmontop on PTCGO, and when I executed the finishing combo while being behind on prizes, I ended up doing 100 damage to all my opponents in play. That took me for a shock. Immediately had to reread Martial Arts Dojo.

"do 10 more damage to the opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). If the attacking player has more Prize cards remaining than their opponent, those attacks do 40 more damage instead"

I tested it out a few more times with other attacks that attack the Bench. Hitmonlee did more damage, Landorus did more damage.
With that wording does this mean that it's a mistake on PTCGO or is this really how this Stadium works?

As I was testing out the new Hitmontop on PTCGO, and when I executed the finishing combo while being behind on prizes, I ended up doing 100 damage to all my opponents in play. That took me for a shock. Immediately had to reread Martial Arts Dojo.

"do 10 more damage to the opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). If the attacking player has more Prize cards remaining than their opponent, those attacks do 40 more damage instead"

I tested it out a few more times with other attacks that attack the Bench. Hitmonlee did more damage, Landorus did more damage.
With that wording does this mean that it's a mistake on PTCGO or is this really how this Stadium works?

Programming error or an actual glitch. The way English works, the 40 damage should only be applied instead of the plus 10, which means it would still apply "...to the opponent's Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance)."

My understanding is the same as Otaku’s explanation (that it doesn’t apply 40 except to the active). I wouldn’t be surprised though if this receives a compendium ruling.

it's most likely a bug on PTCGO
they made a ruling on this on the professor forum a few days ago and are in the process of double checking it right now.

here's the current ruling
Pokémon goes by intent, and the intent is pretty clear that they are increasing the damage of the first effect, not making it into a much more powerful global damage boost.

Back