Discussion Sableye DEX / Garbodor DRX / Bunnelby PRC counters?

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
For the uninitiated, Sableye DEX/Garbodor DRX/Bunnelby PRC, also known as "Winmill", is a very strong deck with a dual purpose: shut your opponent down using Sableye to constantly recycle a barrage of energy denial cards like Crushing Hammer, Team Flare Grunt, Xerosic, and other cards such as Life Dew to deny you from taking any prizes. The deck also plays Garbodor DRX, which, when it has a tool attached, shuts off all abilities, denying you the use of Shaymin EX, Jirachi EX, and whatever other abilities your deck may need to run. After it has worn you down, it uses Bunnelby PRC's attack, Burrow, to deck you out by discarding 2 cards from your deck while switching on and off with Sableye to get cards back. While the deck is definitely not undefeatable, it is very unfair for whoever is facing it and can recycle it's cards endlessly. The deck also seemingly has no counters, and is only stopped by "top cut rules". Let's pool our collective knowledge and find a counter!

I'll just list a, counters for this deck

xerosic, megaphone, hex maniac, crushing hammer, vs seeker, etc.

decks that beat this deck

night march, vespiqueen/flareon, trevenant/accelgor/variants, giratina/variants, archie's/stoise(turn 1), seismetoad/bats, Manectric/variants, Yeveltal/variants, mega rayquaza (colourless), donphan, seismetoad/genesect, etc.

Most Energy Denial decks have two main difficulties. The first is Primal-Groudon for obvious reasons - energy cannot be removed from it! The second is high-damage but single-energy attacks. As you only need to attach and attack, your opponent can't really put you into a lock if you can draw into enough energy. Vespiquen is the first deck in mind that fulls into this category, although many Fighting decks and Bat decks will generally consider this matchup to be a breeze.

I would use dugtrio eeveelutions, as it does damage for 1 enrgy, hits bunnelby for weakness, hits sableye hard, and also has good matchups against the expanded meta game

I found a very simple way to beat it. DCE, Shaymin- EX, and possibly Muscle band if you play it. I suppose you also need float stone or a pokemon with free retreat. What you do is each turn, sky return and put the cards into your hand. This way, you are 1 or 2 hit KOing pokemon. I know N is a hard counter to this strategy, but I believe that at any given point you will have a shaymin on your bench. The only thing about this is you might need double colorless or float stone in your deck. Muscle band certainly helps.

I found a very simple way to beat it. DCE, Shaymin- EX, and possibly Muscle band if you play it. I suppose you also need float stone or a pokemon with free retreat. What you do is each turn, sky return and put the cards into your hand. This way, you are 1 or 2 hit KOing pokemon. I know N is a hard counter to this strategy, but I believe that at any given point you will have a shaymin on your bench. The only thing about this is you might need double colorless or float stone in your deck. Muscle band certainly helps.
A big problem with this strategy is Head Ringer. If you attach a Tool first then they will Xerosic it off.

A big problem with this strategy is Head Ringer. If you attach a Tool first then they will Xerosic it off.
It could be an issue. But if you just have the band/ double in hand you can just play them down each turn. But you also can't retreat. I see what you mean.

Back